Sponsored

Oil over fill question.

Airborne5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Hi guys,

I've been changing my own oil for years, but in the 3 years of owning my 2018 5.0 yesterday was the first time changing it myself due to life etc.

The dip stick location is such a pain, it is so difficult to read as it gets smeared etc. I drained the oil and let it sit for about 15 min until it stopped from both the oil filter and drain plug location. put in 10L Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W 20 (10L = 10.56 quart) I realized after I got my Litre to Quart vs Quart to Litre mixed up.

Afterwards I checked the oil as per owners manual, run engine until its at normal operating temp, let sit 15 min and check level etc. It appears its just over the top circle/hole on the dip stick. The space inside of the hollow hole has a film of oil in it like a bubble wand for blowing bubbles and it APPEARS the oil line is slightly above that top hole.

Is the extra .56 litre / .52 quart I put into the engine a problem?
Should I drain a little bit?
In the summer I daily drive it, get on the gas pretty heavy when I can and 1/4 mile it a few times. I also roll race on a strip a few times a year.

Thanks for any advice from those who are more knowledgeable than myself.
Sponsored

mrgooden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
If you put like 10.5 quarts in, the oil filter holds half a quart itself. You should be fine.

Richard

Jnaszty559

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gerardo
Vehicle(s)
2005 mustang v6
Do you guys fill your oil filter with oil? Or is that just optional

19VelocityBlueGt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 velocity blue gt pp1 10r80
For me, absolutely mandatory!!! This is one of the reasons I change my own oil!! (EveryTime)…👍…The longer you let the oil drain the higher the chance it’s gonna take 10.5 quarts to fill!!

Sponsored

James1980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
You should fill it or better yet, flood mode the car to build oil pressure after each change

jrpav

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mach 1, '71 Mach 1, '00 SLK-230, '73 Opel GT
It's a good idea to fill the filter with oil.

I just started driving my new Mach 1 - haven't even checked the oil yet but... I bet the dip-stick has laser-etched marks on it like many new cars do. Really hard to see once it's covered with oil. My '14 Dodge Durango (my daily driver) suffered from this condition so I filed little V marks at the Max and Add marks with a diamond file. I change the oil on that machine every 3K miles and the V-marks make it really easy to check to make sure the level is right.

To answer your question about overfilling by 1/2 a quart: it's probably OK but that depends on exactly how the dip-stick is set up. Too much oil in the pan can be bad. If the crank touches the oil it will rob power and it will aerate the oil. These are both BAD things.

On the other hand there is usually enough space between the crank and the top of the oil to prevent this from happening. Hard to say - I've never taken a Coyote apart. 351 Clevelands are more familiar to me.
:blush:

The safest thing is to drain the "extra" oil but I know that's a bit of a PITA.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Airborne5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
It's a good idea to fill the filter with oil.

I just started driving my new Mach 1 - haven't even checked the oil yet but... I bet the dip-stick has laser-etched marks on it like many new cars do. Really hard to see once it's covered with oil. My '14 Dodge Durango (my daily driver) suffered from this condition so I filed little V marks at the Max and Add marks with a diamond file. I change the oil on that machine every 3K miles and the V-marks make it really easy to check to make sure the level is right.

To answer your question about overfilling by 1/2 a quart: it's probably OK but that depends on exactly how the dip-stick is set up. Too much oil in the pan can be bad. If the crank touches the oil it will rob power and it will aerate the oil. These are both BAD things.

On the other hand there is usually enough space between the crank and the top of the oil to prevent this from happening. Hard to say - I've never taken a Coyote apart. 351 Clevelands are more familiar to me.
:blush:

The safest thing is to drain the "extra" oil but I know that's a bit of a PITA.

I ended up draining a few hundred ML before driving it to work and checked the level, appears to have went down some. I will check the oil again this morning when I get home after the drive and drain a little more if required. Appreciate the reply.

jrpav

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mach 1, '71 Mach 1, '00 SLK-230, '73 Opel GT
Unless you're bouncing it off the rev. limiter all the time or running on a track it's not super critical. As long as it's between the marks you should be OK. Don't stress over it. It's made in America. 😀

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Filling the filter with oil makes zero difference, there's enough film strength in modern synthetic oils to prevent any sort of "dry" start even with the second or two it takes for the oil filter to fill up.

Just my opinion. With that said I still usually put a bit in there since I've been playing these games for a long time now.

PoCoBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Edge Sport
I've done the same thing the OP has done with no problem at all. In Canada some manufactures make their jugs of oil 5 liters and others make theirs 5 US quarts. I buy 2 jugs and put them in. That extra 1/2 quart doesn't seem to be enough to upset anything in the motor. Once the motor is running there's probably more oil than that flowing around in the oil passages so it would be out of the pan.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
Yes, Always on mustang. That way the engine doesn't have to fill the filter prior to circulating the oil throughout the engine.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Filling the filter with oil makes zero difference, there's enough film strength in modern synthetic oils to prevent any sort of "dry" start even with the second or two it takes for the oil filter to fill up.
This.
Sponsored