Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Aston Martin N430 .Mustang GT .Mercedes Benz AMG,
Vehicle Showcase
Hi guys got my car back from the stealer annual service
I notice that the oil level is about 4-6 mm above the max ( second hole in the dip stick) is this a major concern? The book says not to fill above the second hole (max) my thinking is they have an automated system that allocates oil specific to the vehicle during routine maintenance
it’s a real ball ache to get the excess removed I’m hoping to hear from you in the know if it’s an issue
it’s a 5 L mustang and I went to a 5w30 Motul oil from the 5w20
Sponsored

OP
OP
Captain Greg

Captain Greg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Aston Martin N430 .Mustang GT .Mercedes Benz AMG,
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for that advise 🤜

Sponsored

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
If the dipstick shows overfilled by 4-6MM, that's what??? 1/8th of a quart?

It's not going to hurt a single thing to be overfilled by a tiny amount.

KeyLime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lenny
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT/CS Convertible
What KingKona said. Especially if the level was measured hot.

Between room and operating temperature the oil will expand about 5%. That's half a quart on a 10 Qt fill.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
Hi guys got my car back from the stealer annual service
I notice that the oil level is about 4-6 mm above the max ( second hole in the dip stick) is this a major concern? The book says not to fill above the second hole (max) my thinking is they have an automated system that allocates oil specific to the vehicle during routine maintenance
it’s a real ball ache to get the excess removed I’m hoping to hear from you in the know if it’s an issue
it’s a 5 L mustang and I went to a 5w30 Motul oil from the 5w20
Just buy a oil vacuum pump with bottle which has the small line to put into the engine oil dip stick tube. Pump out what ever you need and call it a day. I take my engine oil samples using the pump.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Just buy a oil vacuum pump with bottle which has the small line to put into the engine oil dip stick tube. Pump out what ever you need and call it a day. I take my engine oil samples using the pump.
If I were going to be OCD about it I'd use my little hand vacuum pump and suck some out.

For the tiny bit that the OP is over I don't think it would even tweak my concern.

As for it causing engine damage, LOL, there's no way that little bit is going to make the oil level go above the windage tray and cause it to foam.

RMoeslein

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang Mach 1, 2020 f250 lariat Tremor
i had a shop do this to me once, the tech actually told me he put 11 quarts in my gt, hahahha, i took it back to them and made them drain 3/4 of a quart!

Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
a oil vacuum pump with bottle which has the small line to put into the engine oil dip stick tube. Pump out what ever you need and call it a day
Hello; The above is a simple way to remove a bit of oil. I picked up such a pump from either Northern Tool or Harbor Freight on sale one day and have found it useful to remove transmission oil. My truck is a big pain to remove the trans pan to change the trans oil. I can pump out about three quarts at one time. I do this about once a year. I also use it to pump out the power steering reservoir ( may not be an issue on newer cars) with each engine oil change.

To answer the question of damage, I have an older perhaps folklore take. If too much oil in the pan enough that the crank shaft and other spinning parts hit the oil when running, I have been told it will froth the oil. That means to me air will be whipped into the oil. Oil with air bubbles in it will not work the same. My guess is the biggest risk is the air might weaken the thin film (lower effective oil pressure) which keeps the crank and rod arm bearings from having metal to metal contact.
Next guess is the oil might be more likely to form deposits .

A mild effect could be a slight loss of HP. High performance engines can have "windage trays" built into the oil pan to prevent parasitic loss.

Now to a question I do not currently have an answer for. That being how the manufacturers decide what the oil level in the pan is to be. At the initial start after the oil has had time to drain out of the engine will the oil level be below the moving engine parts. I wonder if this is the case to prevent oil splashing at start up. If so then after the engine is running some amount of oil will always be up in the engine and your slight overfill will not matter at all. I just do not know.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
Hello; The above is a simple way to remove a bit of oil. I picked up such a pump from either Northern Tool or Harbor Freight on sale one day and have found it useful to remove transmission oil. My truck is a big pain to remove the trans pan to change the trans oil. I can pump out about three quarts at one time. I do this about once a year. I also use it to pump out the power steering reservoir ( may not be an issue on newer cars) with each engine oil change.

To answer the question of damage, I have an older perhaps folklore take. If too much oil in the pan enough that the crank shaft and other spinning parts hit the oil when running, I have been told it will froth the oil. That means to me air will be whipped into the oil. Oil with air bubbles in it will not work the same. My guess is the biggest risk is the air might weaken the thin film (lower effective oil pressure) which keeps the crank and rod arm bearings from having metal to metal contact.
Next guess is the oil might be more likely to form deposits .

A mild effect could be a slight loss of HP. High performance engines can have "windage trays" built into the oil pan to prevent parasitic loss.

Now to a question I do not currently have an answer for. That being how the manufacturers decide what the oil level in the pan is to be. At the initial start after the oil has had time to drain out of the engine will the oil level be below the moving engine parts. I wonder if this is the case to prevent oil splashing at start up. If so then after the engine is running some amount of oil will always be up in the engine and your slight overfill will not matter at all. I just do not know.
Wow, you use it quite a bit more than me. I wish I knew where to get a larger bottle which will fit the pump. I think all of these pumps have the same size threaded inlet.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Wow, you use it quite a bit more than me. I wish I knew where to get a larger bottle which will fit the pump. I think all of these pumps have the same size threaded inlet.
Hello; Trying to recall if i modified the pump system. I have a collection bottle which holds about a quart. Do not recall if it came with the pump. My pump is electric running off 12 volts. I attach the leads to the battery. I can look at the pump and get a mfg name and model if you wish.

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
If the dipstick shows overfilled by 4-6MM, that's what??? 1/8th of a quart?

It's not going to hurt a single thing to be overfilled by a tiny amount.
Here is my thoughts on it. After oil change when I add the 10 qts the dipstick shows halfway between the holes. If you are above that you are most likely little over half a quart (probably 3/4 in his case).

Even if its quart over its not a big deal though I agree on that. Just an observation I made on the level on the dipstick.

OP can always drain some for piece of mind or if smoke is detected. Also any strange engine operation (bad idle, surging, etc).

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
And yes techs at dealers overfill sometimes. Car takes 4.5qts, give it 5. Or sometimes while filling the hold down the nozzle too long it goes a quart over, I have seen it happen in the lube department.
Sponsored