Oil level observation

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Hey Mate,

Quick question,
Just did an oil change, drove back home and checked the oil level. It's slightly above the top hole of the dipstick.

My location doesn't allow me to do my oil changes, hence I need to take it to a garage.

Should I drain a bit of oil to lower it or is it OK to run?
If its harmful, I may have to take the car on a truck to the garage..

Thanks!
Is the car actually level when you check? If it's filled right to the top and the car is on a slope, either side-to-side or front-to-back, it can lead to readings that look high even when everything is fine. Having said that, if it is, as you say, just "slightly above the top hole" and if most of the driving is in town and in traffic or cruising on a highway, I'd leave it as it is.

If, on the other hand, it's actually quite a ways over the top hole, of If I was doing track days or quarter-mile events, then I'd go to the trouble of lowering it a bit.

As for getting a flat bed truck to move it, well, you made it home without a problem, so that's probably not necessary.
Sponsored

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
So much overthinking in this thread as others have pointed out.

Drain oil. Fill with 10 quarts. Warm to temp. Turn it off, let it sit 15 minutes for the oil to drain back down to the pan. Check it, if it's consistent with the last one and between the two marks. GTG.

Aside from running it low (which, you'd have to run it REALLY low to get the pickup to cavitate and create voids in the feed) running it high is no bueno either, but again, looking at the integral windage tray on the pan and where the dipstick feeds into it, you'd have to REALLY overfill for it to swamp the pan and end up at the bottom of the crank journals, which again is no bueno.

As far as getting the oil to drain from the coolers, this is why I try to drain with the front elevated. Not only does it help with the plug being in the rear, it'll help with getting the horizontal lines to and from the cooler to the pan to drain. You're still going to end up with a small amount of oil on the other side of the filter/feed but whatevs. It's similar if you've ever swapped the trans fluid, it takes a bit more if the cooler is bone dry and you never really get it out fully because it takes mechanical action by the trans to operate the pump.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
So much overthinking in this thread as others have pointed out.

Drain oil. Fill with 10 quarts. Warm to temp. Turn it off, let it sit 15 minutes for the oil to drain back down to the pan. Check it, if it's consistent with the last one and between the two marks. GTG.

Aside from running it low (which, you'd have to run it REALLY low to get the pickup to cavitate and create voids in the feed) running it high is no bueno either, but again, looking at the integral windage tray on the pan and where the dipstick feeds into it, you'd have to REALLY overfill for it to swamp the pan and end up at the bottom of the crank journals, which again is no bueno.

As far as getting the oil to drain from the coolers, this is why I try to drain with the front elevated. Not only does it help with the plug being in the rear, it'll help with getting the horizontal lines to and from the cooler to the pan to drain. You're still going to end up with a small amount of oil on the other side of the filter/feed but whatevs. It's similar if you've ever swapped the trans fluid, it takes a bit more if the cooler is bone dry and you never really get it out fully because it takes mechanical action by the trans to operate the pump.
He's got an unspecified model year Mustang GT in the UAE. Don't overthink it :wink:

JazonX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason Bourne
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Is the car actually level when you check? If it's filled right to the top and the car is on a slope, either side-to-side or front-to-back, it can lead to readings that look high even when everything is fine. Having said that, if it is, as you say, just "slightly above the top hole" and if most of the driving is in town and in traffic or cruising on a highway, I'd leave it as it is.

If, on the other hand, it's actually quite a ways over the top hole, of If I was doing track days or quarter-mile events, then I'd go to the trouble of lowering it a bit.

As for getting a flat bed truck to move it, well, you made it home without a problem, so that's probably not necessary.
I got a photo.

Measured it after parking on a flat surface and letting it cool down for almost 30 minutes.

Let me know what you'd suggest.
It's a 2016 - GT BTW, currently at 132, 000 KM on the Odo, and I filled with 5W-20 Liqui Molly.

Also, is it possible that 2 sides of the dipstick can have different results?

Let me know what you'd suggest in this situation, to drain or not. I daily this car, and daily its about 120 km drive per day.

Your advice and time is much appreciated!

P_20220221_064625_1.jpg

P_20220221_064632_1.jpg

20220221_093830_094453_1.jpg

20220221_093927_094307_1.jpg

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Hmmm... it looks like a lot. How much oil is noted on your service invoice? Does it say the amount they put in? I'm asking because 2016-17 Mustang GT's take 8 quarts, and from 2019 on, it's 10 quarts. The shop may have done a 10 quart change on your 8 quart engine.

Sponsored

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
The two holes are filled with oil, and the oil level looks well above the top hole.I would say too much oil in it.

JazonX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason Bourne
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Hmmm... it looks like a lot. How much oil is noted on your service invoice? Does it say the amount they put in? I'm asking because 2016-17 Mustang GT's take 8 quarts, and from 2019 on, it's 10 quarts. The shop may have done a 10 quart change on your 8 quart engine.
They did not mention it,
I carried my own oil.

2 Cans of 5L, and I brought a can with almost 1.5L remaining after the fill, which I can assume around 8.5L is inside the engine. This quart calculation is super confusing as Most oil cans here go by Litre measure, only Motorcraft goes by Quart measure. I wanted to try Liqui Molly as many recommended it above Motorcraft. (Well I've got no clue how to understand which one is better).

Good news on the other hand, I called up the garage and they said they have a machine to siphon it out of the dipstick canal.
So gonna try that, as I do not see any good by keeping excess oil inside.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
They did not mention it,
I carried my own oil.

2 Cans of 5L, and I brought a can with almost 1.5L remaining after the fill, which I can assume around 8.5L is inside the engine. This quart calculation is super confusing as Most oil cans here go by Litre measure, only Motorcraft goes by Quart measure. I wanted to try Liqui Molly as many recommended it above Motorcraft. (Well I've got no clue how to understand which one is better).

Good news on the other hand, I called up the garage and they said they have a machine to siphon it out of the dipstick canal.
So gonna try that, as I do not see any good by keeping excess oil inside.
The manual says 8 quarts or 7.6 liters, so it's about a liter overfilled. Best they use their pump to bring it down a liter or so.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Let me know what you'd suggest.
Are we talking about a GT350 or a GT?

I suggest you park it on a level surface overnight and then take the measurement.

Drain/fill as required on the dipstick.

All of my GT350s always took 10 qts and that made the level perfect. Quickly reading through some of the previous posts made me think we are talking about a GT, and not a 350. 10 qts would be way too much.

Edit:
Your profile doesn't say GT350. Ill assume its a 350, so.....

Drain about a quart or liter out of the pan and check the dipstick. Refill until it is at the top of the full mark on the dipstick (if needed).

trackd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
August
Vehicle(s)
19 GT PP2 (SOLD), 73 240Z RB26DETT

All of my GT350s always took 10 qts and that made the level perfect. Quickly reading through some of the previous posts made me think we are talking about a GT, and not a 350. 10 qts would be way too much.
My 2019 PP2 takes 10 quarts, Gen 3 Coyote.

1645492749125.png

On page 296 (2018 manual), the capacities and specifications for the naturally aspirated V8 suggest the engine and filter take 10 quarts of oil That’s 9.5 liters of lubricant, which is a lot whichever way you look at it. Take the pre-facelift Mustang for reference, which needs 8 quarts (7.6 liters).

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
My 2019 PP2 takes 10 quarts, Gen 3 Coyote.

1645492749125.png

On page 296 (2018 manual), the capacities and specifications for the naturally aspirated V8 suggest the engine and filter take 10 quarts of oil That’s 9.5 liters of lubricant, which is a lot whichever way you look at it. Take the pre-facelift Mustang for reference, which needs 8 quarts (7.6 liters).
Well, that's a new one to me. Thanks for the info. I'm used to 350s and 500s.

This is the 350 section and sometimes due to the navigation of this website the boundaries get blurred. I domt think the person affected by this ever stated what car he was talking about...... unless I missed it.

On a side note: do you have any cooling issues with a PP2 on the track?

trackd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
August
Vehicle(s)
19 GT PP2 (SOLD), 73 240Z RB26DETT
On a side note: do you have any cooling issues with a PP2 on the track?
Not yet, on these recent cooler days, my diff temps which is my main concern, got up to 243 max on typical 20 min sessions. I only have the exhaust wrap, and will for sure install a diff cooler soon. No other temp issues with the motor or manual trans, happy so far.

BTW, the car is much better now lapping with -3f/-2.4r deg camber settings on my cornerweight alignment.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack

I suggest you park it on a level surface overnight and then take the measurement.

Drain/fill as required on the dipstick.

Edit:
Your profile doesn't say GT350. Ill assume its a 350, so.....

Drain about a quart or liter out of the pan and check the dipstick. Refill until it is at the top of the full mark on the dipstick (if needed).
He posted that he has a 2016 Mustang GT. It takes 8 quarts (7.6 liters). He also posted that the shop installed 8.5 liters, so it's over full by just a bit under one liter. He's headed off to fix it - the shop can pump it out through the dipstick tube, apparently.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
He posted that he has a 2016 Mustang GT. It takes 8 quarts (7.6 liters). He also posted that the shop installed 8.5 liters, so it's over full by just a bit under one liter. He's headed off to fix it - the shop can pump it out through the dipstick tube, apparently.
Why not just pull the drain plug for a second????

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Why not just pull the drain plug for a second????
Good question. I actually have the kit for doing that because that's how I changed the oil on my 2003 M5. It's pretty mess-free and it doesn't require a garage or a lift, so maybe the shop guys figure it's quicker and easier to do it in the parking lot rather than using up a service bay. Who knows, though.
Sponsored