Oil Filter

Stang 19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Ford Performance Blue
Yeah I have some guys I have been ordering from them on ig. I don’t want to disclose their identity here until I receive the filters.
Cool... hope your hook up is successful . For giggles I purchased an STP oil filter from AutoZone and when comparing it side-by-side with the Ford unit the only difference I could tell was that the Ford filter unit uses the strong metal mesh inner liner where the STP unit uses a plastic unit . Guessing that the STP unit would work fine in most cases the question I think most of us have is what happens if it doesn’t .
Sponsored

Brianharold

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
Mustang gt 2021
Cool... hope your hook up is successful . For giggles I purchased an STP oil filter from AutoZone and when comparing it side-by-side with the Ford unit the only difference I could tell was that the Ford filter unit uses the strong metal mesh inner liner where the STP unit uses a plastic unit . Guessing that the STP unit would work fine in most cases the question I think most of us have is what happens if it doesn’t .
Actually if they don’t cancel the order then it’s a deal. Have been buying from them for over 3 years now and they have genuine and OEM products. Am just hopping it’s actually available. Will let you all know

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
Meeting or exceeding the spec doesn't mean it has to be an identical part.
It needs the metal insert so the filter doesn't compress under pressure.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I fully understand the intent on Ford's behalf.

Again, a part that meets Ford's spec does not have to be identical. It just has to meet the spec.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I fully understand the intent on Ford's behalf.

Again, a part that meets Ford's spec does not have to be identical. It just has to meet the spec.
Maybe Ford needs to step up with some guidance?????

Sponsored

Stang 19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Ford Performance Blue
Maybe Ford needs to step up with some guidance?????
Tomster: Exactly. I called Ford customer service and Ford Performance and asked what they want us to do and if they could tell us an acceptable alternative that meet thier requirements. Crickets. If anyone has an “in”, could you also ask?

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Tomster: Exactly. I called Ford customer service and Ford Performance and asked what they want us to do and if they could tell us an acceptable alternative that meet thier requirements. Crickets. If anyone has an “in”, could you also ask?
As I have said before in other posts, the burden of this needs to be put on your dealership. Have them do your oil change and verify that they will be using an OEM FL2087 filter. Ask for the box/packing material. I would also ask that the OASIS reflect that a FL 2087 filter was used. Many dealers are holding back on filters. They have them, but they don't want to sell them to the public because they need them. If you are told that they don't have the OEM filter, then have them get authorization from Ford to use a substitute. Be sure to get all of this in writing.

Or, you can just use the K&N (or any other substitute for that matter) and hope for the best. You would probably be fine, but if the filter ever failed, you would own it.

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
i called a dealer nearby me and they're known for having quite a few shelbys and roushs. they currently have a few CFTPs. anyway i asked if they had any FL-2087s, the guy says "yep, we got 25 in stock." but then he said they aren't for sale and only for in-service oil changes...

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
i called a dealer nearby me and they're known for having quite a few shelbys and roushs. they currently have a few CFTPs. anyway i asked if they had any FL-2087s, the guy says "yep, we got 25 in stock." but then he said they aren't for sale and only for in-service oil changes...
Well there you go.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
All these threads and discussion of the FL2087,

How many cars actually had the filter collapse? Honestly? Does anyone know anyone who this happened to?

Is everyone stressing out to buy a Ford spec that's a solution to a problem that doesn't really exist?

Sponsored

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500

How many cars actually had the filter collapse? Honestly? Does anyone know anyone who this happened to?

Is everyone stressing out to buy a Ford spec that's a solution to a problem that doesn't really exist?
I have the same concerns as we’ve only seen one aftermarket crushed filter and it was never clarified if it was installed improperly or it was a product failure.
But, until we can get a warm fuzzy about the alternative filters I’ll continue to use OEM on my $30K motor.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)

How many cars have had a 5.2L supercharged V8 like this one? Go ahead..... own it

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
How many cars have had a 5.2L supercharged V8 like this one? Go ahead..... own it
It's not just GT500 guys looking for the 2087. Since Ford changed the spec for the GT350, every guy with a 350 is looking for the same filters. I have yet to see a single "my oil filter collapsed" proclamation and yet, everyone is falling for this rube from Ford and they're paying ridiculous prices to dealerships (that will even sell them) for upwards of $40 for a filter, all because it has a metal frame.

There are plenty of filters on the market that are better than the cellulose 2062 (advantages of the synthetic media) but people are convinced that the 2087 must be acquired because none of the compatible filters on the market are metal interior frame.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
It's not just GT500 guys looking for the 2087. Since Ford changed the spec for the GT350, every guy with a 350 is looking for the same filters. I have yet to see a single "my oil filter collapsed" proclamation and yet, everyone is falling for this rube from Ford and they're paying ridiculous prices to dealerships (that will even sell them) for upwards of $40 for a filter, all because it has a metal frame.

There are plenty of filters on the market that are better than the cellulose 2062 (advantages of the synthetic media) but people are convinced that the 2087 must be acquired because none of the compatible filters on the market are metal interior frame.
Yes I know. I have 2 Rs. I just did an oil change on all 3 vehicles. I share in people's frustration.

I will say this, the FL2016 did just fine in the R models before the FL2087 came along, and that was under heavy track use. So why the FL 2087? I would guess that the Ford engineers had to dumb it down to the lowest common denominator and produce a crush resistant filter for all the tards who couldn't follow directions.

So, what does this mean? I would suggest that just as the chairman said, you'd be fine with an alternative filter. Should the engine fail and if Ford can play pin the tail on the oil filter if your engine takes a dump? Well, then you own it.
Sponsored