Sponsored

Oil Filter collapsing???

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
That's a little better so thanks for posting that. Still can't see the inside of the filter to verify it was indeed a GT500 filter and not the older unit that wasn't as robust.

Something weird about the housing. I don't see why there is damage at the piece inside that locates the base of the filter when you push it inside. I can't figure out why it would be twisted like that. Excessive heat or pressure...both....not sure. Anyway it should look like this inside...

20200326_163139-X3.jpg

@Rcgalore, can you ask your friend if that is the original filter or if he had it changed previously - just to be clear. If the weaker filter was mistakenly used this is exactly what you'd see...
Sponsored

OP
OP
Rcgalore

Rcgalore

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Felipe
Vehicle(s)
Gt500 2020
That's a little better so thanks for posting that. Still can't see the inside of the filter to verify it was indeed a GT500 filter and not the older unit that wasn't as robust.

Something weird about the housing. I don't see why there is damage at the piece inside that locates the base of the filter when you push it inside. I can't figure out why it would be twisted like that. Excessive heat or pressure...both....not sure. Anyway it should look like this inside...

20200326_163139-X3.jpg

@Rcgalore, can you ask your friend if that is the original filter or if he had it changed previously - just to be clear. If the weaker filter was mistakenly used this is exactly what you'd see...
I also own a gt500.
The filter and housing where removed by the same mechanic we use. His is a gt500 2020 also.
Except it was removed as stated with the mileage as stated.....
Yes, it was an oem, as it was his first oil change.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, I saw you mention 1,000 miles. Just wanted to be certain the dealer never changed the filter for any reason. Do you have a shot of the inside of that filter or are you certain it was the latest filter? Since the Niche line builds both the Voodoo and the Predator engine I suppose it is remotely possibly that the wrong filter was installed when the engine was built. The filters have the same external dimensions and look the same until you look inside.

OP
OP
Rcgalore

Rcgalore

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Felipe
Vehicle(s)
Gt500 2020
Yes, I saw you mention 1,000 miles. Just wanted to be certain the dealer never changed the filter for any reason. Do you have a shot of the inside of that filter or are you certain it was the latest filter? Since the Niche line builds both the Voodoo and the Predator engine I suppose it is remotely possibly that the wrong filter was installed when the engine was built. The filters have the same external dimensions and look the same until you look inside.
thanks. Will let him know and advise to gdt involved in the forum.
Regards

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
Thinking out loud here: Based on the pix in post #15, it appears the filter may have been installed crooked in the housing. Then, when they tightened the housing, it crushed the filter and bent the centering mount inside the bottom of the housing.

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I considered that too and then abandoned it. Look back at the second round of photos the OP posted. You can clearly see the two metal, crimped pieces over the pleats that run vertically - they are straight and don't appear to have been crushed.

564AA1D3-5664-4180-80AB-8F20FA94E6A1.jpeg

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
I considered that too and then abandoned it. Look back at the second round of photos the OP posted. You can clearly see the two metal, crimped pieces over the pleats that run vertically - they are straight and don't appear to have been crushed.

564AA1D3-5664-4180-80AB-8F20FA94E6A1.jpeg
That metal strip is the only piece like that. The filter could have been twisted and that strip remained straight. It’s the crushing of that bottom alignment piece in the housing that makes me think that’s what happened. How else would that have been crushed?
Another reason to have a spare housing unit handy like you bought (at least for the first oil change). Clearly a warranty item.

787Predator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Julio
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 #0066 , 2010 Raptor
Hi, owner of the crushed soul here !! hahaha.. I mean the crushed oil filter.... in my humble opinion, I agree with you guys.. maybe a poorly installed filter from the assembly line??? The car's currently hemodynamics are stable with good and healthy oil pressures, monitored on different pulls ( Dyno and street passes , as well with no drop in oil pressure. Will defiantly keep a close eye on this and will be performing at least two more filter changes in the near future for monitoring( can't seem to get a good hit on the oil housing part number . There was not that much debris nor metal shaving as seen with others, actually surprisingly 6A832 , if someone has a clue or hint to where I can get my hands on a new one please let me know !!!) clean,,,, although the filter had a "saturated" feel and look to it.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you have any shots where you can see either inside the filter or a squared up look at the top of the filter?

Julio, you and Felipe use the same mechanic even though one of you is in Miami and the other is in Puerto Rico?

787Predator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Julio
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 #0066 , 2010 Raptor
Do you have any shots where you can see either inside the filter or a squared up look at the top of the filter?

Julio, you and Felipe use the same mechanic even though one of you is in Miami and the other is in Puerto Rico?

Unfortunately I don to have a pic of the inside , but I do remember seeing the perforated interior. I think we did not throw the filter away, will try to get pics of the inside soon.
It seems that the post also got screwed up a bit regarding the wording of the oil filter housing.... I meant to say that I have not got any luck on finding the housing... the part number on it is 6A832 with no letter following it. If any of you guys know where I can get my hands on one please let me know.

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your local dealer can order you a new housing. Which begs the question....is the car sitting, with the filter uninstalled because of your damaged housing or did you reuse it in conjunction with a new filter?

This is what you need to order...

zzz20200409_152316-L.jpg

Comes with a new filter and housing...

zzz20200409_152448%280%29-L.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rcgalore

Rcgalore

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Felipe
Vehicle(s)
Gt500 2020

I live between Miami and PR.. Car is in PR though.

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
Changed my oil today. 1st change at 1200 miles, this one right at 4000.
Admittedly,.i used the old filter as i felt the change of oil was more important than the filter used amd the new # wouldnt arrive in time.. A gamble, but one i lucked out on.

Im now on the proper filter. Ill cut this one open tonight, but oil looked damn good.

20200426_151210.jpg
20200426_151230.jpg

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A much simpler manufacturing process, easier to recycle, potential for increased profits through minimizing cost, etc.
Sponsored