Sponsored

Oil cooler failure - first hand experiences?

Bobsp12

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
lots of Fords
The problem is, this issue goes from working perfectly to catastrophic failure with no warning.

Also reasonable number of failure points also removed.

I'm having KPM replace mine this Wednesday. Call me paranoid but I haven't driven the car since warrantee ran out two weeks ago. :blush:

Hi Michael, let us know how it goes at KPM.
We just had our third service last week and the dealer said that they still have not had an oil cooler failure yet. They have had a number of the aircon faults though. The service manager, who I have known for quite a few years, said he is pretty confident that Ford would replace the engine if need be even out of warranty as it is a known fault. He said if the car was well maintained and didn't have massive kilometres on it then there shouldn't be problems. I wouldn't be keen on being the pioneer finding out if that is the case.
I actually found out that we have equivalent to the factory warranty through Swan Insurance for the next two years as part of our purchase price. They sent out the policy in the mail when the factory warranty ran out. Not sure that I want to test that warranty for something big like an engine, but as we have only done 7000ks over the last three years, Ford or Swan would have to be extreme a-holes not to come to the party if something went wrong.
Sponsored

OzS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT Fastback
Yes Bob, it was a difficult decision to spend the money on this mod when it delivers no improvement in performance! My only justification is that I hope to do a little more competition stuff like hillclimbs and track days in the future, plus I still plan to do headers and a tune by the end of the year, so it seems appropriate to do. And I do like overkill.

Drewbo

WTF?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback 6MT DIB
Vehicle Showcase
3 year/45000km service today - car officially out of warranty tomorrow.

I asked that the oil cooler be inspected. Service advisor admitted that he had heard of issues, but said that his dealership hadn’t experienced any oil cooler failure related repairs. Also said that he ‘believed’ that Ford would cover any out of warranty repairs as it’s a known issue.

51D1B335-17CE-4EF5-9213-FB9083EC1104.jpeg

Note the carefully chosen words.

Drewbo

WTF?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback 6MT DIB
Vehicle Showcase

OzS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT Fastback
I had KPM (Streetfighter) replace my oil cooler yesterday with their external cooler. Quality looking components and nice stealth install.

Ford's TSB worried me into it:

"Some Mustang 2015.00 GT right hand drive vehicles equipped with a 5.0L Ti-VCT V8 engine and built on or before 02.02.2017 (build code HU) may exhibit an internally and / or externally leaking engine oil cooler that may result in an overheating engine, engine noise, base engine damage along with an external oil leak."

And this right at the top:

"Without exception all gratis repairs and replacements are subject to the individual warranty and policy procedures of the supervisory Ford Company."

Sponsored

Drewbo

WTF?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback 6MT DIB
Vehicle Showcase
"Some Mustang 2015.00 GT right hand drive vehicles equipped with a 5.0L Ti-VCT V8 engine and built on or before 02.02.2017 (build code HU) may exhibit an internally and / or externally leaking engine oil cooler that may result in an overheating engine, engine noise, base engine damage along with an external oil leak."
Not sure that I'd be confident with the accuracy of that cut off date, given the experience of the pom in the post above yours.

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure that I'd be confident with the accuracy of that cut off date, given the experience of the pom in the post above yours.
Anyone know what build code HU signifies? Was this a batch or just all rhd?

Frostee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT
From memory my car was a Aug 2017 build. When I had the car in for service early last year, I asked about the oil cooler. They inspected and replaced. I'd experienced no issues with mine, but seems Dealer was happy to replace the cooler.

kaiser_sosai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
So I ended up going for a 2017 (June) Mustang GT.
I'm not sure if I want to go the route of a replacement air to oil cooler...at least while the factory warranty is in place. But what are thoughts on the available 3rd party oil coolers from Harrop, Streetfighter and Mishimoto? Is any particular implementation superior?

Sponsored
OP
OP

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
It does buy some piece of mind that you won't need to go through the hassle of being stuck somewhere and then having to have an engine change. This assumes that Ford will keep replacing engines and doesn't start flushing them instead, and of this can be no guarantee.

The Mishimoto replaces some but not all of the OEM parts. IMHO the best approach is to use either the SF or Harrop kits which replace the whole unfortunate contraption. Harrop gear is pretty much guaranteed to be good and in the case of the cooler is competitively priced. Have a read of this thread and the SF Oil Cooler thread where there's a discussion on the benefits that SF believes are inherent in their design (a modified Mishimoto), there's good info in both.

OP
OP

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Pretty quiet here, hopefully it's a good sign. Anyone know of other recent failures?

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Pretty quiet here, hopefully it's a good sign. Anyone know of other recent failures?
Seems like there was a bit of a flurry in the early days. Almost as if the majority of the units that will fail have failed. Could be totally wrong of course.

trumpeteer_au

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rapid Red GT Auto
Seems like there was a bit of a flurry in the early days. Almost as if the majority of the units that will fail have failed. Could be totally wrong of course.
I'm certainly hoping you are right. I'm out of warranty as of Sept and I don't want to be paying for an engine.

Hornet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
My warranty was up back in August so had the Harrop oil cooler installed in June
Sponsored