Official Ford Sync3 3.4 Release

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Update to 3.4.21388 complete. All went well. So well, I updated twice. :giggle:

Started car, backed out and inserted stick in USB port. Car recognized the update and began the process.

Driving, around the 10 min mark, the car advised update complete and the USB could be removed.

I didn't catch it in time, but Sync then rebooted, recognized the stick and began the update process, again. It was a cool day, so about five minutes in, I parked and sat, idling.

After the second time, removed the stick at the completion message, turned off the car and got out. After waiting a few minutes, I got back in and went on my way. Update completed without issue.

The log file was not generated, but I'm not concerned. Reads that for the overwhelming majority of owners, the log file process never occurs, or generates a corrupted xml file if it does.

Thanks again for the insight.

Last edited:

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
As far as I can tell, the log file (.txt) is immaterial, but the .xml file needs to be executed to upload the update info to Ford, so they know what version SYNC you have (if for no other reason so Ford knows when to recommend a new version). Run your VIN again and see if they still recommend an update; you may not be able to get the next update without being current.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
As far as I can tell, the log file (.txt) is immaterial, but the .xml file needs to be executed to upload the update info to Ford, so they know what version SYNC you have (if for no other reason so Ford knows when to recommend a new version). Run your VIN again and see if they still recommend an update; you may not be able to get the next update without being current.
I was lucky this time as I received a working .xml file. I wonder if updates on Sync 4 are any easier?

OP
OP

Nexus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
I was lucky this time as I received a working .xml file. I wonder if updates on Sync 4 are any easier?
Over the Air updates. None of this uploading stuff.

Also, for v3.x IIRC, if you update all files via USB and don't get the XML file, the online site will update your version if you connect to a wireless network so it can notify.

BlkMach10510

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1
Update to 3.4.21388 complete. All went well. So well, I updated twice. :giggle:

Started car, backed out and inserted stick in USB port. Car recognized the update and began the process.

Driving, around the 10 min mark, the car advised update complete and the USB could be removed.

I didn't catch it in time, but Sync then rebooted, recognized the stick and began the update process, again. It was a cool day, so about five minutes in, I parked and sat, idling.

After the second time, removed the stick at the completion message, turned off the car and got out. After waiting a few minutes, I got back in and went on my way. Update completed without issue.

The log file was not generated, but I'm not concerned. Reads that for the overwhelming majority of owners, the log file process never occurs, or generates a corrupted xml file if it does.

Thanks again for the insight.
That file is not working right now, just do a wifi "check for update" and it will tell ford you have updated.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Assuming they will actually work.
They've been struggling with OTA updates for Sync 3 for nine years already, and they still don't work. I wouldn't hold my breath.
Exactly. I’ve never been able to use WiFi Updates. 50/50, at best.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
That file is not working right now, just do a wifi "check for update" and it will tell ford you have updated.
:like: Yes, this does work. Thank You. :clap:

I enabled and then shared home Wi-Fi to the car.

Connected with the car, checked for updates.

Shut all that down and gave Ford 15 mins.

Checking the Ford site, they are not now (corrected my post here) showing the car as up-to-date.

Last edited:

BlkMach10510

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1
:like: Yes, this does work. Thank You. :clap:

I enabled and then shared home Wi-Fi to the car.

Connected with the car, checked for updates.

Shut all that down and gave Ford 15 mins.

Checking the Ford site, they are not showing the car as up-to-date.
You're welcome. The ford site will, just give it a few minutes.

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
Wifi updates work for me 100% of the time. Sure they take 10-15 mins of having the car idle but they work.

BlkMach10510

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1
Wifi updates work for me 100% of the time. Sure they take 10-15 mins of having the car idle but they work.
I had to use my usb because my wifi in the car said no updates but I did use the wifi after my usb update to tell ford that my card was updated.

OP
OP

Nexus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Sync 3.4 Wireless updates, I'd agree with that statement.
Most issues are the distance and signal quality of the wifi to get all the files required.
If you park the car in wifi range and shut it off, it'll take a lot of cycles to get the full update downloaded.
The car will download while running, and while off for a couple of minutes before the electronics shut off and the car goes to sleep.

Sync 3.4 Cell OTA, don't think ever worked (if it was even advertised or supposed to)

Sync 4.x I've never had to update myself. OTA has worked so far on my F-150.

I had to use my usb because my wifi in the car said no updates but I did use the wifi after my usb update to tell ford that my card was updated.
I've had this too. The DL on the site is updated faster than in car updates. Eventually it will be available, just takes time. If you want it right away, USB key is the way to go.

Wingnutzz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang EB
Great tips above! I updated my Sync3 using the USB and everything went well except for the updating Ford by uploading the XML file. Uploaded but there was an issue. After three weeks they never updated my car’s version to the latest. Just went to my car, had it search for updates via WiFi, and it quickly responded that I have the most updated versions of Sync and maps. After about ten minutes the Ford site reflected that I have the most current versions, including version 23188.

Thanks for the tip!

BlkMach10510

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1
Great tips above! I updated my Sync3 using the USB and everything went well except for the updating Ford by uploading the XML file. Uploaded but there was an issue. After three weeks they never updated my car’s version to the latest. Just went to my car, had it search for updates via WiFi, and it quickly responded that I have the most updated versions of Sync and maps. After about ten minutes the Ford site reflected that I have the most current versions, including version 23188.

Thanks for the tip!
You're welcome.

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecoboost Premium, 76 Harley shovel, 77 KZ1000
Ok so if you do the updates to sync whether via USB or over Wi-Fi, what is the benefit of making sure that the ford website shows it being updated. Why should we care if ford knows it was updated.

BD