Official Ford Sync3 3.4 Release

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
I just mentioned that so someone else wouldn’t think there was a difference.

By the way Sync updates on Mac download to the hard drive first. Not sure what the inferior Windows does. :crackup: :cwl::like:
Yeah, I should have been clearer. Depending on a setting (somewhere), you can specify where downloads should go (or if you want to run an app). I downloaded to my disk, thinking it would be faster than direct to a thumb drive, but when I copied the file to the thumb drive things went south. Ford wouldn't let me download again, so after farting around for a half-hour I sprung for their thumb drive (the packaging probably cost more than the hardware).

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost, Rapid Red Premium
I was trying to find out if it would be better to update to latest sync level before I update the nav maps, not if I could do it the ither way around.

Also I thought I read that the engine must be running for the nav map updates using a thumb drive with WI-FI or thumb drive. I am not wasting fuel letting car idle in driveway to allow update of maps over WI-FI when I can enjoy a drive while updating.

Just had car on charger with key on for sync update, so I can update maps without engine running also?

BD

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I was trying to find out if it would be better to update to latest sync level before I update the nav maps, not if I could do it the ither way around.

Also I thought I read that the engine must be running for the nav map updates using a thumb drive with WI-FI or thumb drive. I am not wasting fuel letting car idle in driveway to allow update of maps over WI-FI when I can enjoy a drive while updating.

Just had car on charger with key on for sync update, so I can update maps without engine running also?

BD
So long as your Sync version is newer than the map update you’re fine. If you’re not sure just do the Sync update first.

Maps cannot be done over WiFi as the install is too large. I’ve always just gone for a nice long drive during install but using a charger with the car in accessory mode will work too. Just make sure to turn off “auto engine off” in settings.

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
So long as your Sync version is newer than the map update you’re fine. If you’re not sure just do the Sync update first.

Maps cannot be done over WiFi as the install is too large. I’ve always just gone for a nice long drive during install but using a charger with the car in accessory mode will work too. Just make sure to turn off “auto engine off” in settings.
Thanks, that's what I was needing to know. I don't have the auto stop/start feature in my car so thats not an issue. I was going to make sure the sync is on latest version before installing the maps, I am on 3.4.22000 right now.

BD

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, that's what I was needing to know. I don't have the auto stop/start feature in my car so thats not an issue. I was going to make sure the sync is on latest version before installing the maps, I am on 3.4.22000 right now.

BD
Hi Mike. Not referring to “auto stop/start” as no Mustangs have that. What I am referring to is an item in the information display.

This is from my 2019 owners manual.

F2C7FC6E-0508-4C3F-8578-DD4880243BB4.jpeg

JimC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 EcoBoost performance package coupe
That is correct. If you don't disable the "auto engine off" when doing the update with a memory stick, the engine will shut down after about 20 minutes and you have to start the installation all over again.

The auto engine off is a safety feature. If you forget to turn the car off when you park it then it will shut down without filling your garage with carbon monoxide.

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Hi Mike. Not referring to “auto stop/start” as no Mustangs have that. What I am referring to is an item in the information display.

This is from my 2019 owners manual.

F2C7FC6E-0508-4C3F-8578-DD4880243BB4.jpeg
I thought that only pertained to if you start it remotely with the fob/phone so it will only run so long before you start to drive it. So does the engine have to be running or will the "auto engine off" kill all power if you leave the ignition in the key on engine off position also.

Who forgets to turn the car engine off, never in my lifetime has that ever happened.

BD

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
That is correct. If you don't disable the "auto engine off" when doing the update with a memory stick, the engine will shut down after about 20 minutes and you have to start the installation all over again.

The auto engine off is a safety feature. If you forget to turn the car off when you park it then it will shut down without filling your garage with carbon monoxide.

So, does the engine have to be running or not while doing the map update, Yes or No?

BD

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
I thought that only pertained to if you start it remotely with the fob/phone so it will only run so long before you start to drive it. So does the engine have to be running or will the "auto engine off" kill all power if you leave the ignition in the key on engine off position also.

Who forgets to turn the car engine off, never in my lifetime has that ever happened.

BD
Nope this has nothing to do with remote start. But you make a good point. If you go the charger route I believe that the update will start without the car running (this is easy to try). If you plan on running the engine then you have to make sure the auto off is turned off. Sorry for the confusion. Honestly I've never done an update that I wasn't behind the wheel for. It's just more fun!

Now as far as living my car with the engine running........Just wait until you gat old. :giggle: :like:

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Nope this has nothing to do with remote start. But you make a good point. If you go the charger route I believe that the update will start without the car running (this is easy to try). If you plan on running the engine then you have to make sure the auto off is turned off. Sorry for the confusion. Honestly I've never done an update that I wasn't behind the wheel for. It's just more fun!

Now as far as living my car with the engine running........Just wait until you gat old. :giggle: :like:
Ok makes more sense.

As far as wait till you get old, I am already there so no need to wait, just too much of a habit to automatically shut car off that its part of muscle memory without any thought. If the car is not moving, then no need to run engine in my mindset.

BD

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Sync can be updated a few ways: It can update via wifi while car is parked within wifi range and doesn't need to be on. It can updated via USB or wifi with car on charger; note the accessory mode will still turn off after a certain amount of time. It can be updated via USB while out driving. In any case, if the update is interuptted, it will pick up where it left off. I've updated mine by all three ways listed. Maps theortically could be updated over wifi but would take forever. I have only used a USB and then only while out on a long drive.

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Mercedes A250 4Matic (W177)
I finally found a way to overcome the "your car is not updated" situation on the Ford portals.
Reader beware, it's not free.

Today I came into possession of a little toy, the Ford VCM 3. The real deal. The same interface used by the dealers.
I bought it so I can be independent and carry my own ECU updates on the Mustang (which I did) and other family and friends Ford (which I will do). Besides, I can also use it on the Merc and other brands because it's actually a rebranded Bosch interface and supports all standard protocols.

Bottom of the story is, when FDRS connects does a network scan and reports back to Ford. That puts the record straight in their database and has allowed me to download the new maps for my region.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
I finally found a way to overcome the "your car is not updated" situation on the Ford portals.
Reader beware, it's not free.

Today I came into possession of a little toy, the Ford VCM 3. The real deal. The same interface used by the dealers.
I bought it so I can be independent and carry my own ECU updates on the Mustang (which I did) and other family and friends Ford (which I will do). Besides, I can also use it on the Merc and other brands because it's actually a rebranded Bosch interface and supports all standard protocols.

Bottom of the story is, when FDRS connects does a network scan and reports back to Ford. That puts the record straight in their database and has allowed me to download the new maps for my region.
So here is something interesting. I updated my Sync 3 the other day and just remembered to upload my .XML file. Refreshed the Ford owner page and saw this. Update showed immediately. That's a first.

Screenshot 2023-01-31 at 10.24.04 AM.png