Official Ford Sync3 3.4 Release

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I haven't tried this one over wi-fi. In the past, I found it easier and faster to just do it with a USB. Heck, I am not too busy today...I may see if the download is small enough to do over wi-fi.

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
My car apparently automatically downloaded the update and installed it. I have no idea how. Did it by itself.
Thanks for the reply. Wonder how wi-fi handles the 'upload the download conf file so Ford knows what you got' part?

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I have a feeling it auto sends it via wi-fi after the install.

Thanks for the reply. Wonder how wi-fi handles the 'upload the download conf file so Ford knows what you got' part?

Matthewstorm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
I went to some website that Ford Pass directed me to. I put in my VIN and it said I had an update. Next morning, May 2nd, I went outside and connected the car to my phone. It wouldn't update anything. So, I checked on last update install. It said May 2nd. Not sure how it did it.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
When you set up your wifi, I think the default is auto-updates. If the updates are small in data, they tend to work ok.

I went to some website that Ford Pass directed me to. I put in my VIN and it said I had an update. Next morning, May 2nd, I went outside and connected the car to my phone. It wouldn't update anything. So, I checked on last update install. It said May 2nd. Not sure how it did it.

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
I think if you have the 'Automatically Download Updates' option enabled this is what's supposed to happen. I've not been able to download a Sync update over wi-fi before; maybe Ford's getting better at this whole 'digital' fad.

Matthewstorm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
I think if you have the 'Automatically Download Updates' option enabled this is what's supposed to happen. I've not been able to download a Sync update over wi-fi before; maybe Ford's getting better at this whole 'digital' fad.
Yes, it was set to automatically update.

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Yes, it was set to automatically update.
Yeah, unless you default it to not download, when the car gets within a reach of the wifi you set it up with, it'll download the update automatically and most likely also upload the log file.

I do it manually with a flash drive as my house wifi gets weak signal and I live out of town, so my down speeds are bad.

Fasteddiec

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium convertible
When you set up your wifi, I think the default is auto-updates. If the updates are small in data, they tend to work ok.
I have strong WiFi, and yet I’ve never successfully updated over the air. Just tried again with no success.

Matthewstorm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium

Matthewstorm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
I wish I knew. Last rev, I went through all the steps to upgrade via a thumb drive; I expected new maps to come with the SYNC update but, still, NA 1 17.
I just bought my car and there's already an update.

Last edited:

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Do yourself a favor and download to your own USB Drive. Search the thread "Map Update NA 1.19" and it will show how the download should be arranged on the USB. Just so you know, the update takes anywhere from 45 min to 2 hours so be prepared to drive your vehicle while it is updating. Some have reported trying to do it in accessory mode and then not further updating when the car shuts the accessory mode off after it's set time period. Mine took about an hour to update. It's not hard but it is time consuming.

What map does your car show it currently has?

I suggest deleting the pic above that shows full VIN. Not that the VIN will be used by someone else, but they could possibly use the ESN to steal your complimentary download. I am sure no one on this forum would ever do that, but you don't know.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
The maps are separate from the sync updates. The maps are actually from a third party company.

I wish I knew. Last rev, I went through all the steps to upgrade via a thumb drive; I expected new maps to come with the SYNC update but, still, NA 1 17.