Sponsored

Off to look at GT500's today

EvilMerlin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
201 GT350 - Lead Foot Grey with Black stripes.
The local dealer has four of them in stock. Three are standard GT500's with the tech and handing pack. One is FRB (with white stripes), then there is a Rapid Red (black stripes) and a Race Red (white stripes). All of them stickered at 82k, but marked up 15k!

You don't even want to know what the Grabber Lime with Black Stripes and the carbon fiber pack is going for... marked up 30K.

I'm going in with my 2019 GT350, and if they don't sell for MSRP on the non carbon fiber GT500, I'll be keeping my GT350.

How many of you have made the move from the GT350 to the GT500?

How bad did some of you fight for MSRP? Hell I could pull out an XPlan if I had to too!
Sponsored

Last edited:

2020GT500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500
The local dealer has four of them in stock. Three are standard GT350's with the tech and handing pack. One is FRB (with white stripes), then there is a Rapid Red (black stripes) and a Race Red (white stripes). All of them stickered at 82k, but marked up 15k!

You don't even want to know what the Grabber Lime with Black Stripes and the carbon fiber pack is going for... marked up 30K.

I'm going in with my 2019 GT350, and if they don't sell for MSRP on the non carbon fiber GT500, I'll be keeping my GT350.

How bad did some of you fight for MSRP? Hell I could pull out an XPlan if I had to too!
typo? "3 are standard 350's"?

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
The local dealer has four of them in stock. Three are standard GT350's with the tech and handing pack. One is FRB (with white stripes), then there is a Rapid Red (black stripes) and a Race Red (white stripes). All of them stickered at 82k, but marked up 15k!

Wow, big day. My advice is bring your checkbook and make it known you are a buyer, not a tire kicker. You have to be prepared to walk, and if you don't get the deal you are after, do exactly that. If they are asking for a 30K markup for the CFTP, then I seriously doubt that they will be offering base 500s at MSRP. The fact that it is on the lot right now suggests that they want a significant ADM. Dont take my words as discouragement..... My first GT350 was an MSRP deal that started at 20K over. You have to be prepared to walk, which I did, but they didn't let me leave.

One of my R's was traded in towards a CFTP. Which brings up a good point.... Trade value. You have to treat the single deal as two separate deals. Make the deal on the 500 first. They will ask if you plan to trade. Tell them you are not sure yet. Make your deal for the 500 first. Once you get your MSRP deal, now you have to avoid getting ripped off on your trade. This IMHO is the most difficult part of the deal. This is where they stand to eat you alive and make their money. Before going out to that dealership, you need to figure out what your car is really worth. You need to set a low number that you can live with. Its up to you at this point.

As for any plan pricing.....they wont sell any of these cars on any plan (A,X,Z). They physically cant do it.

Well, good luck and I hope you come back with a 500 still wearing your shirt.

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'20 Shelby GT500 Rapid Red / '01 Metallic Red C5 / '17 White Overland
Wow, big day. My advice is bring your checkbook and make it known you are a buyer, not a tire kicker. You have to be prepared to walk, and if you don't get the deal you are after, do exactly that. If they are asking for a 30K markup for the CFTP, then I seriously doubt that they will be offering base 500s at MSRP. The fact that it is on the lot right now suggests that they want a significant ADM. Dont take my words as discouragement..... My first GT350 was an MSRP deal that started at 20K over. You have to be prepared to walk, which I did, but they didn't let me leave.

One of my R's was traded in towards a CFTP. Which brings up a good point.... Trade value. You have to treat the single deal as two separate deals. Make the deal on the 500 first. They will ask if you plan to trade. Tell them you are not sure yet. Make your deal for the 500 first. Once you get your MSRP deal, now you have to avoid getting ripped off on your trade. This IMHO is the most difficult part of the deal. This is where they stand to eat you alive and make their money. Before going out to that dealership, you need to figure out what your car is really worth. You need to set a low number that you can live with. Its up to you at this point.

As for any plan pricing.....they wont sell any of these cars on any plan (A,X,Z). They physically cant do it.

Well, good luck and I hope you come back with a 500 still wearing your shirt.
Tom is exactly right on this. (2 Examples)

I did this with my 2020, traded my '16 CS at one dealer and had to no choice to eat the 12K markup in Nov. When the virus hit my car it wasnt being built at the time they said it would be (Understandable) then a member here offered up his, same buildout and 11K less (1K over sticker) called my dealer told him about my deal and asked if he would match it especially during this time of covid, he said no, and I walked and picked up the one from the member's dealership here.

And 2 years ago, not on a mustang, but I owned 3 vettes, well my wife will never drive my cars (She has a benz s430) so whenever it would go to the shop I would have to drive her, so I looked into getting a Grand Cherokee Overland, well i found one, and long story short, First they didnt give me the price I wanted, so I drove off 10 mins later they call me back and said they would give it to me fo the price I wanted, told them write it up and total it for when I get there, which they did (Locked in the price, tags etc), then I put the folder on his desk once he said the price was final, told him I wanted to trade the vette, the smirk on his face and the response "of course you would" was more than enough to know I squeezed him, and I wouldn't budge on what I wanted as my trade in value for the vette, which I got also.

So be prepared to stand your ground and walk if you must, it all depends how long it sits on the lot too, so if they wont budge and your willing to walk, write your name and number down (unless you have a card) and tell them to call you when they change their minds and you want to be the first caller offered the new deal.

Sponsored

OP
OP
EvilMerlin

EvilMerlin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Thanks folks. I got my 2019 WELL under MSRP. I'm not afraid of walking. I don't need a GT500. I have a GT350 and I'm very happy with it.

But to be honest the digital dash, the 700+ HP... its a tough choice but I'll figure it out when I get there.

voodoo1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
20 GT500, 21 X6M50i, 74 Bronco, 21 Tremor, 79 C10
Here’s a little ammunition for you. Average auction price and most recent sales. This is what 2019 GT 350s and actually sold for at auction recently. You want to get really close to this. Average miles for that price is about 3000, adjust accordingly. Good luck.
8B536F65-EFDC-403A-BF8B-704014C54F12.png
3A215999-9FF6-47F3-B28D-820696960EC6.png

OP
OP
EvilMerlin

EvilMerlin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Well that was a TOTAL waste of time.

And I quote "Well I paid over MSRP for these cars, I won't go any lower than 12k over sticker".

"GT500's are very very rare and you will never find one for under 90k"

So I walked.

The "general manager" was a dick. Seriously.

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500 - SOLD and 2020 GT500 - SOLD
Unless the dealer was a large high volume dealer, he would have never qualified for that many cars. So he had to buy the allocation from other dealers. Allocations don't come cheap, the dealer I bought my car from initially had 2 allocations I got the first and another customer got the second. The other customer backed out of the deal which was +5K and the dealer sold the allocation to another dealer for +10K. He then received another allocation and turned around and sold that allocation to another dealer for +10K. If a dealer had to pay an ADM, then you can bet that a MSRP deal isn't going to happen.

OP
OP
EvilMerlin

EvilMerlin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Unless the dealer was a large high volume dealer, he would have never qualified for that many cars. So he had to buy the allocation from other dealers. Allocations don't come cheap, the dealer I bought my car from initially had 2 allocations I got the first and another customer got the second. The other customer backed out of the deal which was +5K and the dealer sold the allocation to another dealer for +10K. He then received another allocation and turned around and sold that allocation to another dealer for +10K. If a dealer had to pay an ADM, then you can bet that a MSRP deal isn't going to happen.
No he said he bought out three dealer allocations (at 5k over MSRP) on the GT500's for the one he has listed at 17k over sticker.

What the dealer paid for it over MSRP isn't my problem. I'll just keep looking until I find one I want and will pay MSRP or close to it. Not 17k over sticker, or god help me the 35k for the 2020 in Grabber Lime with the carbon pack.

Sponsored

ecoboost321

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R ; 2018 Tesla Model 3
Thanks folks. I got my 2019 WELL under MSRP. I'm not afraid of walking. I don't need a GT500. I have a GT350 and I'm very happy with it.

But to be honest the digital dash, the 700+ HP... its a tough choice but I'll figure it out when I get there.
Well that was a TOTAL waste of time.

And I quote "Well I paid over MSRP for these cars, I won't go any lower than 12k over sticker".

"GT500's are very very rare and you will never find one for under 90k"

So I walked.

The "general manager" was a dick. Seriously.

This experience will make you enjoy your 2019 GT350 even more going forward. Market is always supply/demand, and in the future you should be able to get into a GT500 at the right price.

edmd007

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R, 20 GT500 Iconic CFTP
Man, there are 30 on E-bay right now. A lot of these larger volume dealers are 20k over on even just base models. The supply will outpace demand I think....but you know what they say about opinions.
IM keeping my 2018 350R (1400miles) as I was offered a whopping 50k in trade. WTF, I love how they use the arguement that "limited cars you make money"...Shysters'

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
Reading this story is the reason why I am not even looking for a GT500. I am still having fun with the GT350, and my 68 project has kept the (spend money I am bored) gremlins away from GT350. Heh the 68 is getting all of the project money :p

I can wait a another year or so, then I'll look into the GT500. By then the next gen will probably be around the corner, and it will be the next big mark up item.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Man, there are 30 on E-bay right now. A lot of these larger volume dealers are 20k over on even just base models. The supply will outpace demand I think....but you know what they say about opinions.
IM keeping my 2018 350R (1400miles) as I was offered a whopping 50k in trade. WTF, I love how they use the arguement that "limited cars you make money"...Shysters'
I got $62K for mine only because it was part of a deal I negotiated. They wound up selling it for $66K. If I tried to trade it in like you today, it would be the same value. Think about the money they would make off buying a car for $50K and selling it for $66K. $16K profit on one transaction...... Wow.

Edit to add:
A friend who sells cars in Va called me with an MSRP deal. I posted it here on the forum. A buyer stepped up and I sent him my friends way. The sales manager agreed to the MSRP deal. By the time the GM found about it, he yanked the MSRP offer. I don't know if the car ever sold or not, but its stories like this that make me never want to buy a car again.

edmd007

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R, 20 GT500 Iconic CFTP
I got $62K for mine only because it was part of a deal I negotiated. They wound up selling it for $66K. If I tried to trade it in like you today, it would be the same value. Think about the money they would make off buying a car for $50K and selling it for $66K. $16K profit on one transaction...... Wow.
I know, eff that. Plus, I only have one and I love it and its a totally different driving experience than the 500 is going to be. Just got an ETA of 10/8 for the 500. Pretty excited about that.

Tom, what was the wheel warranty cost? I think Ill probably spring for that if they are in the same ballpark, otherwise their extended warranties can go where the sun don't shine.
Sponsored