Ode to my convertible

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT convertible w/3 pedals, BMW M550i
I'm old, so I grew up with convertibles. I was 15 by the time my folks got a car that had a hardtop. As an adult (or near-adult, as my wife might claim) I've owned 6 or 7 convertibles, and recently bought my second Mustang GT, this time with a ragtop.

Last night I had to run an errand with the wife, and we took the pony car, which the wife had not yet ridden in. She doesn't drive manual transmission cars. It was about 78 degrees, which is nearly perfect for driving at night. It was glorious. She loved it.

That is why we buy these cars. Not for showing at cars & coffee, not for driving on the track, not for commuting to work in the rain. Summer nights.

We were heading back home, and she said "too bad it's so late, we could just keep on driving".
Sponsored

jayhoogs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jayson
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 HP
I'm old, so I grew up with convertibles. I was 15 by the time my folks got a car that had a hardtop. As an adult (or near-adult, as my wife might claim) I've owned 6 or 7 convertibles, and recently bought my second Mustang GT, this time with a ragtop.

Last night I had to run an errand with the wife, and we took the pony car, which the wife had not yet ridden in. She doesn't drive manual transmission cars. It was about 78 degrees, which is nearly perfect for driving at night. It was glorious. She loved it.

That is why we buy these cars. Not for showing at cars & coffee, not for driving on the track, not for commuting to work in the rain. Summer nights.

We were heading back home, and she said "too bad it's so late, we could just keep on driving".
Glad you have the right perspective; convertibles are hated on too much by the people who are trying to prove their hardtop version is much better. I don't think anyone really thinks convertible performance is better than their non-convertible counterpart, and while I am not generally the biggest fan of convertibles normally, and I do not own one, I can certainly appreciate those perfect drives in one. Just thinking about those summer nights and going for a topless drive puts me in a good mood. Sure, performance driving and going to the track and all that is fun, but sometimes there is nothing better than what you just described.

flarecz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Flare
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Convertible GT
Convertibles are just motorcycles that decided to have four wheels. The experience is very similar and as I get older (means really old) and incapable to ride a bike ... the convertible will be still here.

OP
OP
BimmerDriver

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT convertible w/3 pedals, BMW M550i
Convertibles are just motorcycles that decided to have four wheels. The experience is very similar and as I get older (means really old) and incapable to ride a bike ... the convertible will be still here.
Yeah, well, I hung up the motorcycle helmet for good a few years ago. It's not that I grew incapable, it's just that anytime and anywhere I went somewhere, even early on a Sunday morning, the distracted and oblivious cage drivers just scared me far too much. But that's probably a topic for a different thread.

Hook88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Convertible - Atlas Blue
My wife and I have both talked about how dropping the top helps ease away whatever has been worrying us. Years ago I had a 25 minute drive to work, and I remember how it would completely change my mood from stressed to relaxed with the top down.

I’ve also ridden motorcycles all my life (started at age four), and they can also be quite relaxing. However, I am someone that opts to wear protective gear when I ride which isn’t always the most convenient or comfortable. Don’t get me wrong I still love it, but I do enjoy all the comfort options a convertible gives you.

Sponsored

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Funny... Most of us convertible guys had / have motorcycles. I concur, still have one of motorcycles but since the advent of texting especially, it's getting much more dangerous to ride. I too like to make sure i'm wearing safety gear on the bike but find getting ready to go for a ride is too much of a pain and just way easier and more satisfying in the convertible these days. Not to mention much easier to talk to the spouse...

flarecz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Flare
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Convertible GT
Plus you cannot take your dog with you on a bike :-) Well, unless you have a yorkie.

We travel a lot on our adventure bike with my wife, talking is no issue with the intercoms installed. But you are right, wearing the gear is sometimes uncomfortable ...

dougpaw57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang EcoBoost Premium Convertible
What amazes me is how many convertibles I see on the road, and that they almost always have the top up. I drive with the top down almost every time I drive the car.

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
Nothing beats dropping the top, which I do as often as I can, whether it's an hour drive or five minutes, 2C to 32C.

Nstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Spagthorpe
I'm an old RDU-ite with a 6spd GT vert too! My dream rides were an 851 and a 911, back when we had open country roads around here. By the time i got a 1098 and a 991, there was nowhere to really enjoy them. The nice thing about a convertible is you can enjoy the fresh air sitting at a light.

Sponsored

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I am another old motorcycle rider. I had to quit because of severe vertigo problems... I can't even ride a two wheel bike, now. So, a convertible was the only option. I am on convertible number 7. There is nothing like a convertible ride on a warm summer night. It's the most enjoyable thing you can do, sitting down, with your clothes on.

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS

You are lucky to have a wife that enjoys driving with the top down! I too have always owned a convertible (if you will let me stretch that a bit to include my '83 T-top Mustang GT). And my wife (who I also been blessed to have been together with all this time too) always asks for the top to go up when she rides along with me :sadface:

MIDLYFE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
Top down, RPMs up. And as I've said before to the vocal vert haters.......

"Oh but I've got silver, silver in the stars and gold in the morning sun."

- Don Williams

Another gem: As them sweet summer nights turn into summer dreams
Little angel picks up Power and he slips on his jeans
And they move on out down to the scene.

- Bruce Springsteen

RonsterGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
‘22 5.0 GT/‘16 F150 XLT/‘21 Explorer Platinum
Yeah, well, I hung up the motorcycle helmet for good a few years ago. It's not that I grew incapable, it's just that anytime and anywhere I went somewhere, even early on a Sunday morning, the distracted and oblivious cage drivers just scared me far too much. But that's probably a topic for a different thread.
This, 100%.

Mustang702000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Vehicle(s)
2017 5.o , 2002 V6 convert
I am with you guys. Old biker bum here too. Dont ride anymore for same reasons stated,plus a few other ailments.lol
My first stang is a red 2002 v6 auto my daughter now has, and its been enjoyed for 20 years now by my friends and family
04 Cobra, red, what else,ragtop,06 red Roush stage 1,,I have loved them all,kinda like the great loves of my life.
I still go get daughters stang, POPS, named for my late father, drop the top, turn up the Mach to point of pain, and go for a cruise.
Many great memories rollin up the miles topless, and sometimes, bottomless in my red ragtops.
Nekkid is a blast in the stangs.
Best regards y'all !!
Ol Dave n Frosty
Sponsored