My convertible top is stuck half open

Thomthom31

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 3.2 Convertible 2017
Hi friends, last mount I lived an amazing moment, my convertible top was stuck half open during the closing procedure.
IMG-20210826-WA0005.jpeg

I don’t have any idea about the root cause of this problem, and I need your help to understand what the matter (and solved it :like: ).

This is what it was. Last month my car was parked convertible top open. I installed my baby on the back seat, turned on the car engine and push the close button. Halfway, my baby began shouting out. I stopped the closure sequence to see what the matter (nothing, he was just afraid). But, when I retry to push the close button, nothing, no motion, no message …

So, I investigated the matter.
  • No message on the dashboard
  • Fuse OK
  • No error on ODB

Next, to close the top, I removed the two electrical engines and I closed manually.
IMG_20210827_122205.jpg

I did some of tests:
  • When I push the open button: windows don’t go down, no message, and no motion.
  • When I push the open button at 15mph, I have a message (impossible to open because you are driving).
  • I removed the battery and try again. No results.
  • I charged the battery and try again. No results
  • When the two electrical engines was removed, no mechanical trouble, and no rotation on engines when pushing open or close button.
My opinion is : The problem is not mechanical, I don't think it is electrical. It's look like the computer car dosen't want to allow the convertible top movement. Perhaps a sensor problem, or an internal condition not solved ...

For the moment, I haven’t gone to FORD France, I prefer understand what the matter before.

Can you help me, do you have an idea about this problem ?

Thanks
Sponsored

TasGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 MY17 Mustang GT 5L Triple Yellow Convertible
Have you tried it with the engine running?

OP
OP
Thomthom31

Thomthom31

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
Have you tried it with the engine running?
Hi TasGT
Yes of course. I tried with engine running and without enrigne running.
Thomas.

TasGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 MY17 Mustang GT 5L Triple Yellow Convertible
Possibly a relay ?

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
There are some sort of sensors that prohibit the top from moving if the side covers are installed. I'd look there.

Sponsored

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
Have you tried disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes to see if the computers will reset.

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
Also are you side windows rolling up or down when you hit the open or close on the top? I read on a post a while ago that the person was having an issue with one of the side window motors not working properly and causing the same issue.

Or it could be that one of the motor's is going out and when it overheats it stops working.

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
"Is the top half up or half down?" is a proverbial phrase, used rhetorically to indicate that a particular situation could be a cause for pessimism or optimism, or as a litmus test to simply determine an individual's convertible top situation. - Wikipedia

TigerStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
If it did not do this prior to child seats install, I would remove the child seat and see if it closes.

OP
OP
Thomthom31

Thomthom31

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
Have you tried disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes to see if the computers will reset.
Hi David
No, not so long, just a couple of minutes. I will try this week end.
Thanks for this idea

Thomas

Sponsored
OP
OP
Thomthom31

Thomthom31

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
lso are you side windows rolling up or down when you hit the open or close on the top? I read on a post a while ago that the person was having an issue with one of the side window motors not working properly and causing the same issue.

Or it could be that one of the motor's is going out and when it overheats it stops working.
Hi David
No, I don't have any troubles with side windows. Its work correctly when I hit thenopen or close windows button. I think overheats on convertible top motors is not the good way because motors don't work at any time and at any external temperature.

BUT, when I try to open the convertible top, side windows don't rolling down. It's look like I don't hit the open button. (The button works correctly, because when I hit this button up to 15mph I have a message on the dashboard)

Thomas

OP
OP
Thomthom31

Thomthom31

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
"Is the top half up or half down?" is a proverbial phrase, used rhetorically to indicate that a particular situation could be a cause for pessimism or optimism, ...
Hi Dave
Thank you for this philosophical question :). The answer is not so easy. Sometimes it is better to have a roof, and sometimes hair in the wind. I think, links between pessimism/optimism and open/close are ... weather dependent rather than self esteem. :wink:
But what I prefer is to drive my Mustang and I'm sure you will be agree with me.

Sorry for my bad English, it's not my mother tongue.

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
Did this get resolved yet? I am curious and mainly because I thought of this thread last night when I pulled into the drive and was putting up the top, hoping that it would go all the way up!

OP
OP
Thomthom31

Thomthom31

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
Hi John

No, I'm not resolved my problem. I keep information about electronic wiring and the i fund the maintenance manual. This is very interresting.

The convertible top system is composed of 2 calculators. One calculator on each motor block. Therse two calculators are connected to the CAN bus and connected to the open/close button.

With this new informations I made new test and it is possible that one calculator dead.

So now I have to use the CAN bus to speak with this two calculators and see if i have answers (and read error codes). I have an ODB dongle but I don't have software who can adresse other calculator than ECU (If you have a software name, I'll take it)

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
I’m sorry, for some reason this thread was not flagged to me. I don’t have any answer on your question regarding software. I hope that you have resolved this by now and am curious what the final outcome was. This is one of the downfalls of having electric motors instead of hydraulic rams. If the latter fail (or the pump system), you can always disconnect the rams and close the top manually. This may be difficult, or even require two people, but it can be done to secure the top and vehicle.
Sponsored