Not letting engine sit all winter

Frank.Herbst

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I see some want to put there Shelby up all winter. Have you ever seen an engine on the engine stand waiting to be installed. Oil stays on parts for a while but eventually slides off the moving parts and ends up in the oil pan. I was very surprised to see what happened when we rebuilt a BOSS 302 engine during a total restoration. Then engine was covered with plastic on a stand with out an oil pan. During the rebuild bearings and other parts were coated with engine assembly oil designed to hang on and be there for the first start. With the body out for metal work and paint it was months till time to install the engine. To my surprise all of the assembly lube ended up on the floor below the engine and it's much better at staying on parts than oil.
Bottom line is unless you have a pressurized oil priming system your engine will be getting a very dry start. Not to mention having your engine seals go with out oil and dry up.
I always start my Shelby once a month unless the weather is just crazy cold. So it might miss a month but not all winter.
Before we would take out the distributor and prime the engine with a drill or at least take the coil wire off and spin the engine and build up oil pressure before ignition. Don't know if there is any way to do this with all the new technology.
Sponsored

ZX3ST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, Kona Blue, J3116
Before we would take out the distributor and prime the engine with a drill or at least take the coil wire off and spin the engine and build up oil pressure before ignition. Don't know if there is any way to do this with all the new technology.
You can hold the accelerator to the floor before starting. The engine will crank without starting until you release it. Or push the start button again to end the cycle without starting.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
In the 2020 GT350 Owner's Supplement, Ford indicates that 0w-40 can be used below 20 degrees F. If you want to start the engine and run it for a bit during a cold winter, you could swap the oil in the fall, start it once a month or so for the winter, then swap again in the spring. You wouldn't have to change the filter, just drain and refill the oil.

OP
OP
Frank.Herbst

Frank.Herbst

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
ZX3ST,
You can hold the accelerator to the floor before starting. The engine will crank without starting until you release it. Or push the start button again to end the cycle without starting.

My first thought is could I find a way to mess this up and go wide open on start. Just my luck:headbang:

JAJ,
0w-40 can be used below 20 degrees F

Maybe a good option for some of the guys. I insulated my garage and it stays in the upper 40s and 50s during the coldest part of winter here in Denver. I guess the heat from bringing in our daily drivers and heat from the interior house wall does the trick.

OP
OP
Frank.Herbst

Frank.Herbst

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
The more I think about this, I'm going to test this the next time I have the Shelby out. It will already be warmed up so if I mess up nothing can get hurt.
Thanks

Sponsored

V8 Voodoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F-150 XLT 5.0 V8
I thought it has been well settled to not start the car in the winter if you do not plan on driving it. Turning it on and letting it idle is actually worse than just letting it sit.

OP
OP
Frank.Herbst

Frank.Herbst

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I thought it has been well settled to not start the car in the winter if you do not plan on driving it. Turning it on and letting it idle is actually worse than just letting it sit.
I agree, I usually get at least one decent day each month. If not I'm OK with missing a month but not all winter.

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat / 2019 350R #413
This is what I did with my Hellcat last year. It's very easy to do so no worries on messing it up and starting the car at full wide open throttle.

The engine will crank without starting and the oil pump should begin to circulate the oil through the engine.

I plan on doing this with all three of my rides next spring.

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
Thanks for this.

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
I think starting it and letting it idle would be worse than letting it sit to the point that the oil become depressurized and having a dry start from that. At least if you let it idle the engine could warm up and get up proper oil temperature.

There was a post in the S550 Mustang forums and someone pulled the manufacture recommendations and it said 15 minutes idle under the engine section. I can't find the post though but I know I saw that

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Here is what I think. Start the car every so often. If the car has sat for a while, pushing the clutch in as well as the throttle down to the floor will not allow the engine to start. The oil pressure will increase. After the second start attempt, you are at 50 PSI. You can hear a difference in the sound of the engine turning over as the oil pressure increases. After two start attempts, I let it start.

The way I figure it, the oil pressure has a head start and after a long winter sleep, maybe this technique will help. Some might say the pressure isn't high enough, but it's better than nothing.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I see some want to put there Shelby up all winter. Have you ever seen an engine on the engine stand waiting to be installed. Oil stays on parts for a while but eventually slides off the moving parts and ends up in the oil pan. I was very surprised to see what happened when we rebuilt a BOSS 302 engine during a total restoration. Then engine was covered with plastic on a stand with out an oil pan. During the rebuild bearings and other parts were coated with engine assembly oil designed to hang on and be there for the first start. With the body out for metal work and paint it was months till time to install the engine. To my surprise all of the assembly lube ended up on the floor below the engine and it's much better at staying on parts than oil.
Bottom line is unless you have a pressurized oil priming system your engine will be getting a very dry start. Not to mention having your engine seals go with out oil and dry up.
I always start my Shelby once a month unless the weather is just crazy cold. So it might miss a month but not all winter.
So I love the idea behind your thoughts. You want to preserve your engine. We all want that I think.

But I'm not sure your theory is correct. Your theory as I understand it is that more oil will drain out of the bearing areas in an entire winter than in a month. Right? Because you are saying that you want to start the car once a month to preserve it.

I'm not sure that's right. I think most of the oil will drain within HOURS. I think the difference between the amount of oil on the bearings and in the top end of the engine THE NEXT DAY after shutting down versus a MONTH later versus 3 or more MONTHS later is virtually identical.

I think a surprising amount of oil will stay in nooks and crannies for a long time as long as the engine doesn't move. However, the oil that's going to drain out - my theory is that it drains out relatively quickly. Certainly less than a week for it to drain down.

I think if you aren't driving the car daily and you are storing it, starting once a month just means a few more dry starts. The starts are virtually as dry as they would be if you let the car sit all winter. The best thing you can do is to have the storage area be cool, dark and dry. Additional starts I think are actually worse for the engine. Not a huge amount worse, but still slightly worse.
Sponsored