hobbie1

hobbie1
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT 350
I keep reading about these engine failure - not sure anyone has started a "no issue" string. So I'll give it a try.

17 GT350 took delivery on 5/2017 - followed the breakin procedure. - 1/4 QTR oil about every 1500 miles. No issues after 7000 miles.

Purchased a 8 year 60K ESP plan.
Sponsored

BadYote77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang / 2017 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
2017 also purchased in May traded in with over 25k on the clock. Procharged, long tube headers, return fuel system and ID1050x injectors. supercharger was on for about 10K miles. Royal purple every 3k miles no tick what so ever.

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
The failure rate for the Voodo is very small.

It’s a sampling problem. It’s the same as standing at the back of an Apple store. Everyone there has a problem with their device in one form or another. You could stand there for a little while and soon say Apple makes nothing but junk. The hundreds of problems you would see on a typical day is terrible sampling consider Apple makes hundreds of millions of devices.

Long story short this people will seek out help when they have problems. This place is like the back of the Apple store. I understand your intentions with this thread but perceived failure rate and actual failure rate are two things.

proeagles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT 350, 2019 BMW X3, 2019 Honda Civic
The failure rate for the Voodo is very small.

It’s a sampling problem. It’s the same as standing at the back of an Apple store. Everyone there has a problem with their device in one form or another. You could stand there for a little while and soon say Apple makes nothing but junk. The hundreds of problems you would see on a typical day is terrible sampling consider Apple makes hundreds of millions of devices.

Long story short this people will seek out help when they have problems. This place is like the back of the Apple store. I understand your intentions with this thread but perceived failure rate and actual failure rate are two things.
I agree with this sentiment. Forums tend to bring out complainers and if this engine failure rate was a real deal there would be a lot more news about it elsewhere. The good news here is that Ford is standing by the failures with little if any trepidation. This is a pretty high strung engine in the first place and a random failure is going to happen now and then. I would be curious to know how well the GT350 track cars at Ford's Track Attack school for owners are still holding up. When I was there in 2017, there were no reported failures and these cars were driven hard by really good and bad drivers. I'll be going again next year at the new school and will ask that very question.

Sponsored

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid
No news is good news. Bad news always sticks out like a sore thumb.
There was one a year to a year and a half back I believe that was started for people who had no engine issues. Can’t recall, but I may have started it. There was not a whole lot of response.

5.2 L V8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 Avalanche Gray Shelby GT350
No issues here. June 2017 build. Just dropped the oil today at 6000 miles. AC blows cold. Very little oil use.

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
17k and this bitch still running strong.

But I definitely need a 2020 RRR.

OP
OP
hobbie1

hobbie1

hobbie1
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT 350
I agree with this sentiment. Forums tend to bring out complainers and if this engine failure rate was a real deal there would be a lot more news about it elsewhere. The good news here is that Ford is standing by the failures with little if any trepidation. This is a pretty high strung engine in the first place and a random failure is going to happen now and then. I would be curious to know how well the GT350 track cars at Ford's Track Attack school for owners are still holding up. When I was there in 2017, there were no reported failures and these cars were driven hard by really good and bad drivers. I'll be going again next year at the new school and will ask that very question.
Exactly - I asked the same question of the guy that had us cooling them down at the end of the day. He was kind of krankie but in the end said no real issues if you treat um right.

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
I'm at 3700 km on my 18. Still on factory fill oil. I've done one track day.

FWIW I did ask the Track Attack guys what kind of maintenance they've had to do on the cars there and the guy did say they had to replace a few engines. This was in September 2019. A bigger problem seems to be the charging system. A bunch of cars had issues with the charging system (including mine). One car was completely dead after the first afternoon session and they could not get it restarted because of a charging issue.

Sponsored

proeagles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT 350, 2019 BMW X3, 2019 Honda Civic
Since the cars have roll bars in them I would assume these are the same cars. An occasional engine failure of cars driven hard every day for 4 years seems acceptable to me.

OP
OP
hobbie1

hobbie1

hobbie1
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT 350
I'm at 3700 km on my 18. Still on factory fill oil. I've done one track day.

FWIW I did ask the Track Attack guys what kind of maintenance they've had to do on the cars there and the guy did say they had to replace a few engines. This was in September 2019. A bigger problem seems to be the charging system. A bunch of cars had issues with the charging system (including mine). One car was completely dead after the first afternoon session and they could not get it restarted because of a charging issue.
Interesting - I went 9/2018 and got the no issue answer....

mqu02

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
'19 Kona Blue GT350
I'm probably just superstitious, but the way my luck always seems to go, when I answer these questions, bad things tend to find me....

Mpt233

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
17 gt350
My luck too lol, mine started knocking minutes after I finished saying I haven't burned a drop of oil and the whole thing is exaggerated.
Sponsored