Normal Operating Temperature for 10R80

sirben711

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Ecoboost 10R80 w/ FP Tune
So I have been dealing with a few issues and concerns with my 10R80. And now I am wondering if they are actually temperature related. So what is the normal operating temperature for these transmissions? If they run too cold what are its characteristics?

I ask because for the last few weeks we have had warmer weather hear, upper 60's and lowers 70's and my transmission was behaving a little better. This thing has genuinely horrifically awful downshifts (in ALL modes) and because of this, I really don't enjoy this car. I miss my 6R80 so much. The last two days it has been below 45 degrees and its behavior has become worse again. I am hoping things will feel better when it gets warmer. I should also say, I bought this car brand new in August and didn't really notice anything wrong, but once winter hit, the transmission started behaving really harshly on the downshifts. Since owning this thing I have NEVER seen the transmission temp get over 130 degrees Fahrenheit even with hours of driving.

I have already taken it into a dealer. They claim everything is working properly and within spec. I have my doubts. Next month I'm taking it in again to a different dealer (Nearly two months wait for my appointment see Ford's transmission guy- what a joke) It upshifts amazingly. Downshifting is utter garbage and my passengers complain how bad it is.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Vertex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Devan
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 FJG HP
I can't say that I can provide great feedback yet as I have also only had my car for a short span of time. I have about 700 miles on my Mach 1 and did opt for the 10R80. I have driven it a few times but have not been blessed with above 50 degree weather yet. I have approx 32 mile commute to work, however, 20ish of it is hwy and the rest town.

That being said, I have checked only 1 time so far just out of curiosity when I drove my car to work yesterday (4/19/22) and right when I was getting off the hwy on my way to work which was the 20 mile stretch of 70mph hwy the temp gauge was barely off the bottom of the very bottom for the trans temp. Can't remember exactly how much each notch was supposed to equate to as far as temperature but barely over 100 degrees, guessing maybe around 120/130 tops. I have pretty intense harsh downshifts if I try running sport when I leave work in town still and even after that commute to town before driving through it anytime I use the paddles to slow me down some there are a few very harsh downshifts.

Basically I'm thinking it is temp related for stuff like this. Seems to take quite some time for the trans to get up to temp unless I want to beat the hell out of it when it's cold to get it up to temp. Just things I've noticed off my short amount of miles I've been able to put on since purchase.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
The operating temperature of the unit is 206-215* per the manual and the technical document of the unit.

You driving it at 130* is nowhere near that, so it's not surprising that it's a bit jerky. It's even more so below 100* and it tends to get much better once you're over 160*.

Since owning this thing I have NEVER seen the transmission temp get over 130 degrees Fahrenheit even with hours of driving.
I will say that this *IS* an issue, as even just cruising around you should get it near 200* after an hour. Did you mention this to the service advisor at the dealership? Sounds like the bypass valve is stuck open, as one of the track guys on here purposely deleted his bypass valve to get better cooling on track and he mentioned that street driving it never went over 130*.

OP
OP
sirben711

sirben711

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Basically I'm thinking it is temp related for stuff like this. Seems to take quite some time for the trans to get up to temp unless I want to beat the hell out of it when it's cold to get it up to temp. Just things I've noticed off my short amount of miles I've been able to put on since purchase.
Glad I'm not the only one.

The operating temperature of the unit is 206-215* per the manual and the technical document of the unit.

You driving it at 130* is nowhere near that, so it's not surprising that it's a bit jerky. It's even more so below 100* and it tends to get much better once you're over 160*.

I will say that this *IS* an issue, as even just cruising around you should get it near 200* after an hour. Did you mention this to the service advisor at the dealership? Sounds like the bypass valve is stuck open, as one of the track guys on here purposely deleted his bypass valve to get better cooling on track and he mentioned that street driving it never went over 130*.
I will definitely tell them this.

And 130 is on the high end. If I just drive to work (at least in this current weather) it doesn't get much above 100.

Vertex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Devan
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 FJG HP
Glad I'm not the only one.

I will definitely tell them this.

And 130 is on the high end. If I just drive to work (at least in this current weather) it doesn't get much above 100.
I will keep my trans temp gauge up next time I'm able to drive it to work. Should be early next week or if I take it out this weekend for a drive I will keep the gauge up the whole time so i can keep tabs on the temp just for an idea. But if I remember right it was barely over 100 degrees when I was just getting off the hwy from about a 18-20mile 70mph drive toward work but didn't check again after I got off the hwy.

Sponsored

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
Use torque or something to verify actual temps. 130 is very low, it sounds like your bypass might be stuck open. With it open it will run that low. Also, to try to heat it up hold the brake and idle it up to 2k for a while. Temp should rise rapidly. With mine removed I think it would run 40-50 above ambient during normal driving.

OP
OP
sirben711

sirben711

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Use torque or something to verify actual temps. 130 is very low, it sounds like your bypass might be stuck open. With it open it will run that low. Also, to try to heat it up hold the brake and idle it up to 2k for a while. Temp should rise rapidly. With mine removed I think it would run 40-50 above ambient during normal driving.

Just got back from driving for an hour and a half. It was right at 80 degrees ambient today. After HARD running I managed to get it to 150 degrees but it took a long time to do so.

I can report that the harsh downshifts were improved. They were still occurring, but not nearly as bad as they have been.

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
It should be warmer than that, suspect bypass is open. I have 160 tstat now, and it will get to 160 even when cold, just takes longer. 80 degree weather it will fluctuate 160-170 normal driving.

Vertex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Devan
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 FJG HP
Just wanted to note that I watched my trans temp all the way to work yesterday but not on my way home. It was pretty chilly out maybe around 45 degrees on my way to work and again roughly 18-20miles of hwy driving and then 12ish in town varying speeds of mostly 40mph and then a short couple miles of 55mph. Trans temp was low 100's maybe like 120. I suspect when I hit 60+ temps outside it should warm up much quicker but will remember to check back in here and post results when I get to see nicer weather.

Glad to hear your shifts improved once it was at it's dubbed normal operating temp.

Spleee254

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2021 mustang gt, 2001 mustang gt
70 degrees here in se pa. Drove 46 miles to work, 35 highway 11 town/city. Pulling into parking lot at work i saw mine was pegged at 172.

Sponsored

Vertex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Devan
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 FJG HP
70 degrees here in se pa. Drove 46 miles to work, 35 highway 11 town/city. Pulling into parking lot at work i saw mine was pegged at 172.
You got about double the hwy miles I have so I suspect that would be more than plenty to get that thing up to temp. Sounds perfect and thanks for the input!

OP
OP
sirben711

sirben711

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Today was 86 ambient temp (yesterday was in the 70's) I did not drive the car as hard today. I only managed 140F after about an hour of driving.

So now I am convinced it is a temperature issue. Yesterday and today were noticeably better driving experiences. Yes, I can still feel the downshifts, clunks, and pops, but it is more live-able with these warmer temps, much smoother than it was last week when it was in the 40s and all throughout the winter, this car was unbelievably awful on the downshifts.

Now the question is, how do I tell the dealer I think something is wrong with the cooling of the transmission, and how do I get them to take that seriously? I wonder if they can force test the bypass valve?

deanm11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dean
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT A10
I have tested operating temp in my 2022 two times recently with outside temps at about 65 degrees. Both times trans temp EVENTUALLY gets up to about 190-195. It takes nearly 30 minutes of driving. It doesn't seem to matter the kind of driving much, it just seems to eventually heat soak. I've been thinking about this question - what is a 'safe' temperature to be running the car hard, stock-like power and eventually blown. Since it takes probably 10 minutes for the trans to get to even to say, 110-120 degrees, this could really limit the amount of outings where you can safely hammer it.

OP
OP
sirben711

sirben711

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)