Sponsored

No E85= Meth?

cnycomp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang GT
So nearest e85 is at least an hour away from me. Ive had a C6 corvette with a vortech and meth before. Worked beautiful with no problems and almost 700rwhp. I know a few guys on here use it. Just wonder why its not as popular on mustangs as it is on the corvettes? I know East Coast Supercharging practically puts them on every supercharger they install(corvettes).

Anyways, Ive got an 18 GT base model with the 10 speed. Can I run 9s on pump with a beefcake paxton and meth?
Sponsored

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
I'm in the same boat living in NJ, no E85 readily available so I went methanol injection.

Ive posted it a few times on here and ive had alot of success with meth so I'm a big fan. Next best thing after running E85.

I was running 15-18* of timing at 12-13psi on 93. With water/meth added I çan now run 20-21* timing at 15psi. Timing is much more consistent now too since the quality of gas per tank is much less important now. That is with the timing tables maxed in the tune meaning it could take even more, especially with another nozzle.

Most important thing IMO is a reliable and quality meth system. Im a big fan of Alky Control myself.

oesman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dmitry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
You could go race fuel if you can get race fuel. The downside of meth is it adds complexity to an already complicated system, it has fire and msds safety complications, it runs out, and if it matters it's not allowed for many types of sanctioned competition. I have ran meth before, it's great for drag and street racing. I'm 100% sure it's going to be great on the coyote engines too. It has lots of great qualities, a nice mix of water and methanol lowers temps and increases knock resistance. That stuff works!

The downsides can be a buzzkill though. Complexity is that it's another thing to fail, you might have a progressive controller that's boost regulated. Think about that, you have a pump that can fail, a controller that can fail and a pressure switch than can fail. That's a lot of new things that can fail. If it sticks open and floods your cylinders that's really bad times. Sure fuel injectors can do that too if the ECU wigs out for instance, but you can't really run an engine without them so it's an inherent risk unlike meth injection. Personally I like to keep it as simple as possible. No hobbs switches, no meth, no nonsense. My theory is good tune and good fuel = happy engine. I'm running 21-22 degrees of timing on Sunoco GT Plus 104.

OP
OP

cnycomp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang GT
Yes, I do agree things can go wrong. But my experience was 2 years of trouble free performance out of my Alky Control System on my vette. Running race fuel all the time just sounds expensive.

I think mostly its "the unknown" because its not used as much in the mustang community. East Coast Supercharging in NJ has thousands of these setups on the road. I personally cant remember last time I read about losing an engine to a meth failure. Im sure it has happened but not as often as most people think.

oesman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dmitry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Yes, I do agree things can go wrong. But my experience was 2 years of trouble free performance out of my Alky Control System on my vette. Running race fuel all the time just sounds expensive.

I think mostly its "the unknown" because its not used as much in the mustang community. East Coast Supercharging in NJ has thousands of these setups on the road. I personally cant remember last time I read about losing an engine to a meth failure. Im sure it has happened but not as often as most people think.
Yea I never had an issue with my camaro either when I had methanol progressive setup. I also agree that there is nothing wrong with using them on these engines, probably like you said just not well known on them yet.

Overall I just want to keep things simple these days, less systems if I can help it. If I was drag racing I'd definitely consider meth. I can buy 200L drums of race gas locally and either have them delivered for a modest fee or they can load up my truck and I use my gantry crane to take the drum off and plop it onto a drum dolly with casters. Then a 12V transfer pump lets me fuel up when I need it. It's great to save one of the empties too for waste oil and such.
Sponsored