Sponsored

Considering upgrading fuel system (Methanol or E85)

fcarpio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I have a 2016 GT with the Roush TVS blower and the Lund tune. I am considering going with either Methanol (Gas/Water Inhection) or E85. My car is a daily and I don't track it. I just wanted to get input from folks that are already running similar setups. How do you like it? Was it worth it? Any gotchas? Issues? etc...

Thanks!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Tons of people running E85 blown cars. Full on methanol sounds like a major pain on a daily driver. Alcohol needs even more fuel than E85 so would take a mega fuel system. Not sure of anything outside of track only cars if anyone has tuned for alcohol.

OP
OP

fcarpio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Pardon my ignorance, but with e85 I can run a mix of 93 and e85? What do you do in between tanks when shifting from one to another? Do I have to have different tunes or the e85 tune will detect the percentage of ethanol in the tank and adjust?

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
No one is doing flex fuel for blowers yet so you would have to switch between tunes going from one to the other. Would need the tank as empty as possible switch tunes and drive easy for the first several miles until the old gets out of the lines and fuel rail.

whatsup62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP (Gone but not forgotten).
No one is doing flex fuel for blowers yet so you would have to switch between tunes going from one to the other. Would need the tank as empty as possible switch tunes and drive easy for the first several miles until the old gets out of the lines and fuel rail.
Yep ..exactly what I do. Flex fuel only for NA cars right now (some tuners will do FI...but not many).
I run 20-25 tanks of E85 and then run a tank of 93.
Huge difference in power from 93 to E85. Unless it was strictly a track car I wouldn't see a need to go Methanol.

Sponsored

TexasGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Yep ..exactly what I do. Flex fuel only for NA cars right now (some tuners will do FI...but not many).
I run 20-25 tanks of E85 and then run a tank of 93.
Huge difference in power from 93 to E85. Unless it was strictly a track car I wouldn't see a need to go Methanol.
And you just do this for lubrication purposes?

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
e85 would def work well, let me know if we can help with a fuel system

beef

WestCyril

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 5.0
I wouldn't waste your time on water meth injection. I've seen many of these kits fail and cost someone their motor. Your better off with just E85. Your car will make more power, be safer, and happier on E85. Depending on how much power you're looking to make you'll need a boost a pump/ or a fuel system.

Switching between pump and e85 isn't really needed as all the fuel system components can handle ethanol without erosion concerns etc. You'll need to switch between tunes if you want to run pump or e85. No flex fuel capability with FI as your pushing the motor much harder.

OP
OP

fcarpio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I wouldn't waste your time on water meth injection. I've seen many of these kits fail and cost someone their motor. Your better off with just E85. Your car will make more power, be safer, and happier on E85. Depending on how much power you're looking to make you'll need a boost a pump/ or a fuel system.

Switching between pump and e85 isn't really needed as all the fuel system components can handle ethanol without erosion concerns etc. You'll need to switch between tunes if you want to run pump or e85. No flex fuel capability with FI as your pushing the motor much harder.
Thanks for the explanation, this has cleared a lot of my doubts. E85 it is then...

Sponsored

whatsup62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP (Gone but not forgotten).
And you just do this for lubrication purposes?
NO...just thought it was a requirement to switch occasionally to clean system .. Thought E85 was a dirtier (leaves things behind after burnt) fuel...:shrug:

WestCyril

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 5.0
E85 burns much cleaner than pump gas hence it being used on "flex fuel" cars, hybrids etc. It will keep carbon build up to a minimum as well. You can do some searching on people opening their motors with 10-20k miles on e85 and comparing it to the same mileage on pump gas and the carbon build up differences is crazy.

jgedde

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP, M6, Triple Yellow

Amen brother... Happened to me. Water injection sucks for a street driven car... Firstly it doesn't respond quickly. So for a second or more your engine has no water/methanol. Secondly, what happens if you nail it not knowing you're out of fluid? Thirdly, what happens if the pump stops working. You have no indication that this has happened until you find your piston ring lands peeled up (voice of experience).

Save the water/meth injection for track usage and WW2 aircraft...

John
Sponsored