Nitto NT555

Ayee__Jay

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang 5.0
A buddy of mine who can get me a good deal on some tires recommended Nitto NT555's. I am going with a square setup and I saw that the NT555's were directional (I have no experience) and with me personally I like to think long term and rather get as much out of a tire as I can. Will I still get a lot out of the tire without the worry of uneven wear with just rotating front to back? Ofc I understand alignment plays a role but I dont know much about tire compound, etc.
Sponsored

mnm4ever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, MR2 Spyder, Sea Doo HX
All the good performance tires are going to be directional. It really depends on what you want out of a tire, and what size you want. Are you looking for the best performance? Summer tire only? All seasons? Longest lasting? Choice of tire will make the biggest impact on performance of the car vs any other mod outside of like a supercharger, so its important to choose correctly.

Personally, I decided not to go with the Nittos due to the reviews and tire tests I read. They are more of a budget choice, and a really good tire for the price. But I read they have poor wet weather performance, which was a really big deal to me, and I also read that as they age they lose a lot of capability vs the competition. And the price difference between the Nittos and the Michelins was like $200. If $200 is gonna change your life, then the Nitto is not a bad choice, they are very popular with the performance crowd. But to me it was worth the extra money to get the Pilot Super Sports. Dry grip is a little better, wet weather performance is much better, and they are supposed to last longer.

For ultimate performance, there are several other choices like the Sport Cup 2 or Eagle F1 Supercar tires. Those are great track tires you can use on the street. But I could not get the sizes I wanted, and the wet performance just was more important for me.

Crowd Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$hitbox
I switched from the Nitto NT555 to the Continental Extreme Contact Sport, and the difference in the wet was night and day. You might check out the Conti's.

OP
OP
Ayee__Jay

Ayee__Jay

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang 5.0
I switched from the Nitto NT555 to the Continental Extreme Contact Sport, and the difference in the wet was night and day. You might check out the Conti's.
How do the Nittos do in the rain?

Crowd Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$hitbox
I was not thrilled with the NT555s in the rain. I personally would never buy them again. My current car has the Michelin PS4Ss and they are also much better on wet pavement than the NT555s.

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Those Nittos are cheap because they're an old design and frankly they're kinda trash for grip, esp in the wet. You can do a lot better.

Checkout the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 for a better budget tire.

mnm4ever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, MR2 Spyder, Sea Doo HX
Those Nittos are cheap because they're an old design and frankly they're kinda trash for grip, esp in the wet. You can do a lot better.

I second that... I have read great things about the Indy 500s and the price is way better than the Nittos. I would have gotten them if they had them in the 305/35 size I wanted. You should have no problem with a square setup.

Crowd Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$hitbox
Conti Extreme Contact Sport is an excellent tire to consider over the 555.
Yep! I have them on my 135i and they stick like glue in the rain.

Sponsored

PRG3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo

Agree with this. I have the Firestone Indy500's and they are an older Bridgestone Re003 design. Great budget tire. Very good in the wet. Aggressive design and good performance at the dragstrip. They are a noisy tire, though.

The NT555's are almost an ancient design at this point. I had them on my 3000GT almost 20 years ago, and I remember them kind of sucking then and downright scary with all the rain in Florida.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
All the good performance tires are going to be directional.
If different tire sizes are used on the front vs. rear axle EI: staggered, the tires become location-specific and prohibit tire rotation unless remounted. So they'll wear twice as fast as a asymmetrical, symmetrical tire of equal specs. And directional tires only excel in resisting high speed hydroplaning. Anyways, the 555 are pure garbage, the INDY 500 is a great budget tire with superior dry & crazy good wet traction as compared to much higher priced tires.

OP
OP
Ayee__Jay

Ayee__Jay

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang 5.0
So just out of curiosity, what is everyone's opinion on the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3. Obviously an all-season performance tire but still from things I've heard a good tire.

Last edited:

Crowd Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$hitbox
So just out of curiosity, what is everyone's opinion on the 1200013314. Obviously an all-season performance tire but still from things I've heard a good tire.
What is the "1200013314"?

Arknsawchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I dont know why everyone complains about the nitto in the rain, I've tracked my car in the rain with the 555G2s and they did great. My son also has them on his car and he had no issues on the track either. They havent given me any problems with daily driving either. I will be buying more when these are gone.
Sponsored