Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.steeda.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Bolt-on, slammed S197
As many of you may know, Steeda has a long-standing relationship with Nitto Tire - we run their tires on many of our street/strip cars and recently had the exciting opportunity to perform track-testing for their all new Nitto NT555 G2 tires at Palm Beach International Raceway (PBIR).

We brought out two S550 Performance Pack GT’s with equal entry-level mods (Steeda springs, Steeda IRS subframe bushing support system, Steeda cold air intake, Steeda tune) to perform an apples-to-apples test comparing their existing NT555 tire to their all-new NT555 G2 tire.

Wet Weather Braking:
This kind of testing solely reflects the capabilities of the tires, brakes, and suspension equipped on the vehicle. From a driver-standpoint, it’s imperative to ensure the brakes are hit at the same point on the track at the same speed with max pressure applied to the brake pedal. This technique allows the vehicle’s Anti-Lock Brake system to do its job at peak performance. Considering both vehicles were identical in brakes and suspension, the only variable left was the tires being used. Data we gathered shows the NT555 G2 stopping the car in 76.5’ on a wet track, which is far superior than the current generation NT555 at 96.75’. One thing that these numbers do not show is directional control while applying the brakes - the NT555 G2 had a much more confidence-inspiring feeling transmitted through the steering wheel while the brakes were applied.

Driving Experience:
The NT555 never inspired the high-level of confidence that the G2 did while turning into and exiting the corner. What we mean by that is, the G2 - when turning into a corner - transmitted a feeling of the tires gripping sooner than the NT555 by the vehicle actually turning. When the driver feels that the vehicle is now changing in the intended direction that the driver planned, then the driver can place their focus on the exit of the corner maximizing the speed to the next corner; it’s at this point that the driver usually applies throttle to begin the acceleration process. During the acceleration process out of the turn is when forward grip is imperative to achieving a good lap time. The G2 allowed us to not only apply more throttle input, but also had less slip while exiting the corner. When tires slip during exiting a corner, it is usually the rear tires on a rear wheel drive vehicle (such as the S550) resulting in oversteer. When the rear tires slip while coming out of a corner, they are no longer propelling the vehicle forward and instead usually the rear of the vehicle begins to slide in the opposite direction of the turn. If the tires are sliding, usually the driver has to react and either reduce the throttle, or alter the intended direction of the vehicle to compensate - neither of which help to reduce lap times. As we mentioned above, it is also worth noting that braking feel was considerably different between the NT555 vs G2. The G2 seemed to require less pedal pressure to achieve the same desired braking effect as the NT555 - this resulted in less weight transfer while under braking, and a more stabilized feeling while cornering the vehicle as the weight was not all transferred to the nose at turn-in or corner entry.

NT555 Key Benefits:
- compound that offers balance between tread wear and traction
- stable cornering due to reinforced tread blocks
- wide contact patch

NT555 G2 Key Benefits:
- cornering stability due to directional tread pattern
- increased wet traction performance
- increased braking performance
- wide contact patch

We’re really excited for the release of Nitto’s NT555 G2 line and highly recommend them for the S550!

Here are some pics from the event, and when I say some I mean a bunch because they were just on point :)
orange1.jpg
orange2.jpg
orange3.jpg
orange4.jpg
orange5.jpg
orange6.jpg
orange7.jpg
orange8.jpg
orange9.jpg
orange10.jpg
orange11.jpg
orange12.jpg
orange13.jpg
orange14.jpg
orange15.jpg
orange16.jpg
orange17.jpg
blue1.jpg
blue2.jpg
blue3.jpg
both1.jpg
both2.jpg
both3.jpg
both4.jpg
both5.jpg
prep1.jpg
prep2.jpg
prep3.jpg
prep4.jpg
prep5.jpg
324A0615.jpg
324A0613.jpg
324A1077.jpg
324A1099.jpg
track1.jpg
track2.jpg
track3.jpg
track4.jpg
track5.jpg
track6.jpg
track7.jpg
track8.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
WOW...Great pictures and information.

That braking distance difference between the 2 tires is INSANE!!

I like the tread design on these G2's.

Sponsored

angermgmt14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium--Oxford White--A6
Is there an ETA? Did I miss it?

Tweezy7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
17'GT on Order
Excellent write up! Man those pictures!!! Drooling over here :clap2:

RubyRed15

Ok, so it's blue.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
+1 for size data, also interested in UTQG numbers.

Quiksilver15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT
Sweet! These will be considered for my next set of tires!

Sponsored

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
The NT555 is such an old tire, of course the newer G2 will be better with the advancements of tire compunds and such. I had NT555's on my 04 E46 M3 when it was new...some 11 years ago.

I would have liked to see a comparison to a newer state of the art tire like a Mich PSS or the like. I just hope the G2 is more performance oriented than the Nitto Invo which is OK for a street cruising around tire but not for high performance driving as the sidewalls were so soft.

Any news on what sizes will be available?

s4-to-15gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt black perf pack 6mt
The NT555 is such an old tire, of course the newer G2 will be better with the advancements of tire compunds and such. I had NT555's on my 04 E46 M3 when it was new...some 11 years ago.

I would have liked to see a comparison to a newer state of the art tire like a Mich PSS or the like. I just hope the G2 is more performance oriented than the Nitto Invo which is OK for a street cruising around tire but not for high performance driving as the sidewalls were so soft.

Any news on what sizes will be available?
I also would like comparison of this tire with the leading tires on the market(mich pss, bridgestone s-04, continental dw etc....)
Tirerack is great with these tests, unfortunately they don't carry Nitto tires .

Need4SpeedMotors

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang & Shelby GT350 platform
Nitto is a great bang for the buck tire you really get your moneys worth out of them.

dcrypter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT
+1 for size data, also interested in UTQG numbers.
+1

And prices too. I'm probably picking up MPSS's either this week or the next but I'm sure i'll need more soon enough.

Tyler2386

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
What do you guys think about running the G2 up front and 555R out back. I currently run the 555/555R combo and it seems to work well.
Sponsored