Sponsored

Next step for more Power

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
So, I need some advice, I'm looking for the next safe step to get a little more power for around a grand total installed.
Right now I have a 15gt manual, with a Steeda Tune, CAI, and Borla Catback. Car runs great, idles perfect and I really have no complaints other than I've gotten used to it and want a little more without problems. more Low end torque and some more balls up top at high RPM's, it seems to die off. Headers are not an option, too loud.
Here's the options \ I'm looking at and need feedback on.

1- Lund Flex Fuel Tune (will I notice difference over my Steeda Tune?)
2- 18 manifold with a Tune Steeda will send me for free, (they said not to port manifold since they don't tune for this?)
3- 18 manifold + injectors with Lund Flex Fuel Tune ( I know this will net the most power but how much work am I going to have to do to make this all run properly)

Thanks in advance for your help
Sponsored

OP
OP
ChitownStang

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Super charger is way out of my budget and I would get into big trouble with that.
I don’t want to totally go e85 all the time

if your saying that any of those options are money foolishly spent then I will take that advice under consideration
Thanks

HyperSol

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hypermotive.com
First Name
Sol
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang GT
I would honestly go with the Lund flex fuel tune. You don't need injectors unless you change manifolds. You'll still get a nice increase in power with the flex fuel tune when you run it on E85. Even on pump gas,Lund is pretty dang good! Shoot me an email [email protected] and I can get you set up with a lund tune or anything else you need

OP
OP
ChitownStang

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
I would honestly go with the Lund flex fuel tune. You don't need injectors unless you change manifolds. You'll still get a nice increase in power with the flex fuel tune when you run it on E85. Even on pump gas,Lund is pretty dang good! Shoot me an email [email protected] and I can get you set up with a lund tune or anything else you need
So, flex tune would be noticeable seat of pants increase over my Steeda tune?
Cause if I don’t feel anything for $400+ I’ll be pretty aggravated

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
So, flex tune would be noticeable seat of pants increase over my Steeda tune?
Cause if I don’t feel anything for $400+ I’ll be pretty aggravated
If you get the 18+ manifold then yes. That's good for up to 40hp in some cases with a tune.

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I did everything in steps. Started out exhaust and 93 tune. Lund gave everyone an e85 Flex tune back in 2015 for Xmas. For purchasing their 93 tune. And yes you will feel the difference between the 2 tunes. The 18 manifold was a nice mod. But I did the supercharger before the intake. So I’m not sure how much it makes NA. I doubt it’s worth 40whp NA like it is for boosted applications. You’ll love the Lund tune. The car runs smoother and cooler in regular driving. And the added power is cake!

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Can you do the work yourself? Save some coin (since you mention "installed" in your post).

Airflow solutions ported stock throttle body ($300); minimum gains by itself but coupled with several other gains worth some hp
Airflow solutions ported '18 manifold ($650) - good gains over Gen 2 Coyote
You could also go JBA shorty headers that retain the stock cats (~$450 + installed). Only problem is you have to cut and weld the driver side to the stock cat pipe. Sort of a hassle.

Choose 2 of the 3. to keep it around $1000. The swap to '18 intake manifold will give you the best gains of those three mods I listed.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
save your money for the next Mustang the increases will be very mild and not add any value to your car. I put a flex tune on my '18 and it helps but not enough to warrant the cost in my opinion.

I am not trying to be sarcastic, just help you save money. Tunes on the '17 down give more grunt than the '18 up and you've done that.

Another thing you could look at for under a grand is a different rear axle ratio. The 373 or 409 gears will make a big difference in your torque down low as far as fun to drive. You should be able to do those for 7-900 installed.

I'm guessing you have either 355s, 331, or 315s. In my '60s muscle car days a gear was the first thing we would do to a decent running V8 with headers, etc.

OP
OP
ChitownStang

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks guys, This was the advice I was looking for.
I thought about gears, did it in my 2001gt, 3.55’s I think. big difference!
I’m not in traffic much so maybe the extra shifting won’t be an issue. Hmmmm

As far as doing work myself, I do a lot of the basics, even did a brake job last year but taking apart the top of the engine scares me so I’d pay someone $250 to do it

OP
OP
ChitownStang

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Bluebeast, did you have to do a lot of data logging to get it to be smooth or pretty good out of the box?

Sponsored

Kermitz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 300A M6
Vehicle Showcase
So, I need some advice, I'm looking for the next safe step to get a little more power for around a grand total installed.
Right now I have a 15gt manual, with a Steeda Tune, CAI, and Borla Catback. Car runs great, idles perfect and I really have no complaints other than I've gotten used to it and want a little more without problems. more Low end torque and some more balls up top at high RPM's, it seems to die off. Headers are not an option, too loud.
Here's the options \ I'm looking at and need feedback on.

1- Lund Flex Fuel Tune (will I notice difference over my Steeda Tune?)
2- 18 manifold with a Tune Steeda will send me for free, (they said not to port manifold since they don't tune for this?)
3- 18 manifold + injectors with Lund Flex Fuel Tune ( I know this will net the most power but how much work am I going to have to do to make this all run properly)

Thanks in advance for your help
What's your budget?
I'd lean twords option #3 or a slight variation of it. Maybe a ported 18+ manifold, injectors and Lund Flex & E85 tunes.
E85 will wake it up for "cheap".

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Bluebeast, did you have to do a lot of data logging to get it to be smooth or pretty good out of the box?
I did one log. And never received a revision. So the tune was pretty much spot on from jump.

nedim1991

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Magnetic Metallic GT
Get LU47’s and a tune for E85. Either dedicated, or FlexFuel. The injectors can be found used on here all the time for cheap, and you’ll definitely notice the difference, both on the butt Dyno and the actual Dyno.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Keep it simple.

2018 intake/injectors/retune and gears.

3:73’s if you want fun but civilized.

4:09 if you really want to rip. If I need to ever replace the rear in my car I would lean toward 4:09’s as the ‘Yote loves to rev. You’re giving up some MPG but that’s not what this car is for. I have 3:73’s currently and can see the benefit of a steeper gear still.

If you really want to go crazy, upgrade the limited slip differential to a Torsen like the performance package cars if you swap the gears. No clutch packs to wear out and amazing traction in the corners.

It’ll be a different car all together.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Injectors and e85/flex tunes will be best bang for your buck. Probably good for at least 40whp and will be an absolutely different animal than your current 93 tune. Add the 18 manifold for extra fun and LTH but keep cats if worried about volume.

You can also reduce rotating weight such as light weight wheels, light weight brakes, CF drive shaft etc all helps reduce parasitic hp loss to the wheels.
Sponsored