Sponsored

New Track tires and wheels, will it fit?

slowdown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP, 2021 GMC Sierra 1500 Elevation Duramax

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
OP, just my two cents, Milwaukee has impacts, compressors, grinders, weed eaters, blowers, radios, drills etc....that all run off the same M18 battery. If I were you, I would go that route. My M18 compressor (weighs maybe 8 lbs?) has no issues pumping up all 4 tires on my truck to 80 psi, camper trailer tires to 80 psi, and also will do my car, with battery left to spare.

I don't know if other major brands have the same battery powered platforms, but the M18 of Milwaukee is legit. Get yourself two XC 6.0 batteries, and you will be more then covered for ample battery power for two days.
Agree with everything said above

I don't really have anything to compare them to but at my level of driving they are excellent. The guys on TrackMustangs call them "crap" and "ricer" but then you talk to the guys at Steeda and they love them with the Swift Spring upgrade.

I'm not even remotely good enough of a driver to know the difference between different coilovers let alone notice the difference between mine and a set of $6K Cortex Racing dual adjustable. All I know is that an S550 on a good set of coilovers is a completely different animal and every instructor that steps foot in my car absolutely loves it.
Not to completely derail this thread....BUT I have been on the fence about these cheaper coilovers for awhile now. I agree, TMO says basically anything lesser than MCS or Cortex is garbage but we can't all afford $5,000 coilovers.
I've had a few trustworthy people tell me that these $1,000 coilover brands are no better than the Ford Track shocks I have now and I have seen a few pictures of cheap brands fail spectacularly so it gives me some hesitation.
I've thought about Steeda adjustables w/ their DR springs but I'm not going to spend money on anything that comes with twin-tube shocks or progressive springs (looking at you KW V3).

The best middle ground I've found are Fortune Auto 510's or Ohlins like @bnightstar has.

Last edited:

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Not to completely derail this thread....BUT I have been on the fence about these cheaper coilovers for awhile now. I agree, TMO says basically anything lesser than MCS or Cortex is garbage but we can't all afford $5,000 coilovers.
I've had a few trustworthy people tell me that these $1,000 coilover brands are no better than the Ford Track shocks I have now and I have seen a few pictures of cheap brands fail spectacularly so it gives me some hesitation.
I've thought about Steeda adjustables w/ their DR springs but I'm not going to spend money or anything that comes with twin-tube shocks or progressive springs (looking at you KW V3).

The best middle ground I've found are Fortune Auto 510's or Ohlins like @bnightstar has.
Now that we are derailed, have you seen AJ Hartman's MR coil over conversion option on TMO? If he decides to MFG it, it will give the ability to run any 2.5" spring on the Ford MR struts up front, and converts the rear spring to something adjustable.

It looks promising, and I am anxiously awaiting him selling it, and getting some real world feedback on it. I would love to run a 350 or 400 spring up front, for significantly less cost than quality coil overs out there.

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Now that we are derailed, have you seen AJ Hartman's MR coil over conversion option on TMO? If he decides to MFG it, it will give the ability to run any 2.5" spring on the Ford MR struts up front, and converts the rear spring to something adjustable.

It looks promising, and I am anxiously awaiting him selling it, and getting some real world feedback on it. I would love to run a 350 or 400 spring up front, for significantly less cost than quality coil overs out there.
I've seen him talking about it but as I don't have MR, didn't impact me at all. But yes, could be a game changer. AJ is a man of the people 😆

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I've seen him talking about it but as I don't have MR, didn't impact me at all. But yes, could be a game changer. AJ is a man of the people 😆
I believe he did mention he thinks it could fit on non-MR cars (don't quote me on the exact wording). It was after talking about the lathe and demonstrating the conversion kit on a MR shock.

Sponsored

slowdown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
Agree with everything said above

I've thought about Steeda adjustables w/ their DR springs but I'm not going to spend money on anything that comes with twin-tube shocks or progressive springs (looking at you KW V3).

Fortune definitely nicely customizable and rebuildable for reasonable money. On the list if I do decide to change and want to keep the costs down. I'm on the fence of selling this car next year for a fully caged race car to build up for TA but I also love this car and Grid Life's new Track Modern Option 2 class fits. So if I decide to stay with this (which I love) it may be a full Cortex or Penske upgrade.

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Fortune definitely nicely customizable and rebuildable for reasonable money. On the list if I do decide to change and want to keep the costs down. I'm on the fence of selling this car next year for a fully caged race car to build up for TA but I also love this car and Grid Life's new Track Modern Option 2 class fits. So if I decide to stay with this (which I love) it may be a full Cortex or Penske upgrade.
If you want a factory-built race car, I've thought about the Honda Civic Si FE1
Not the most power but everything else is basically straight off a TCR car for $55,000

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
Hello and welcome to the darkside of tracking!
If I may some advice :)

Buying ec7 10" to "save money is not the best way to go for few reasons
You said you want to save money. And is partially true cause u won't need longer front studs and a spacer (250-300 $ total ish)
The difference between the 10 and 11 is not that big.
The issue is you will find your self in a position where you feel you are getting faster and you want more grip.
And you will need ..more tire. So more expenses

305mm.squared is a well known and test situation.
I leave it to you if you want 18 or 19.
My point is. MAYBE to think to save money now. You will end spend double or limit your ability to be faster instead of eventually wait slightly more and buy right away the RIGHT STUFF .

Tires : never buy cup2. Ever. Waste of money. And not that fast. The fastest street tire are the 3R goodyear. but awful when cold or rain. You wont need them. Yet.
If you are starting now there are few tires that gives you more grip than regular tires but last very long.
RS4( HANKOOK) nitto NT01(the only nitto u may consider) the new Nexen (actually they are really fast and great wearing) are very nice options for a budget friendly but still.competitive mustang

Suspension set up.
With all the respect. The dual rate is not the best option.
You want camber(camber plate is a must). You want better shocks (but they can wait) you want better Linear Springs. Bmr handling springs is what you looking for. (250$)
Eventually pair with FP shocks (590$)

I know. Lots of info and you are thinking "who the hell is this guy who wants to change my all setup"😅

I just try to share what wise people advice me when i was asking the same questions 4 years ago when I started.
And this is the car now 🙂
Hope this can help
Alessandro

CWW_3461~2.jpg

OP
OP
gone_n_60

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP Convertible
Man you guys are lucky. Just over an hour to the track? It's 3 1/2 hours for me. Thunderbolt is definitely my favorite of the two at NJMP.

OP if you own a Titan You should try renting a Uhaul trailer. They're cheap and you can pack everything you need in the truck vs. having to clean out your car when you get there. You just need to put wood under the front tires or the front lip will hit the tire stops.
For doing tracks farther away I was thinking of the truck/Uhaul route (not ready to buy a trailer), good note on the front tires, we run low those S550's.

slowdown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
If you want a factory-built race car, I've thought about the Honda Civic Si FE1
Not the most power but everything else is basically straight off a TCR car for $55,000
Awesome rig but no front wheel drive for me. Most likely grab something of BAT or Racing Junk to use as a foundation then strip it and build out a Time Attack Unlimited car. But def AWD or RWD.

I'm a long time Subaru guy and this is my first RWD car. I don't want to bash FWD I just don't have the experience with it. I do love Mustangs now. This one is sick https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2017-ford-mustang-fp350s-race-car/

The painful part is selling my car I'll get smoked but it's part of the game. And it will be hard to sell as it's a "tweener".

Sponsored
OP
OP
gone_n_60

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP Convertible
I have a trailer. My "home" track is NJMP in Millville NJ which is about an hour and 20 minute drive and they have two really good tracks so I'm very lucky. I'll also travel too for weekends. This year I'm doing a 3 day event at VIR. Have not planned out my season past the end of July yet but I have 7 days between now and then on the calendar.
Nice, so south Jersey. Way, way back I remember the radio ad's for Raceway Park... "Suuuuuuunnnnnndddaaayy! Raceway park featuring Connie Kalitta! Dragsters and Funny cars!!!"

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
I believe he did mention he thinks it could fit on non-MR cars (don't quote me on the exact wording). It was after talking about the lathe and demonstrating the conversion kit on a MR shock.
I am also one of those who is waiting for him to release it. I also don't have a MR car and released that the increase of spring MAY be too much for the dampers. Maybe the Bilstein B6 dampers would be better? no sure.

For doing tracks farther away I was thinking of the truck/Uhaul route (not ready to buy a trailer), good note on the front tires, we run low those S550's.
lol thats why i i sold my 2002 4runner and bought a tundra. truck + uhaul is the way for me this year

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
https://shop.hookedondriving.com/hooked-on-driving-region/Northeast

VIR is late July - 3 day full course. It will be my first HOD series event so I'll need an instructor to sign me off but at VIR I may do a pro for the first two days then run solo last day.
I was looking at that one also but may go with TrackDaze in May. Plan is to make VIR twice this year and Pitt Race twice as far as "out of the way" tracks.

I did Summit with HOD last year and it was a really great group. I plan to do Summit with them again at the end of the year

slowdown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
I was looking at that one also but may go with TrackDaze in May. Plan is to make VIR twice this year and Pitt Race twice as far as "out of the way" tracks.

I did Summit with HOD last year and it was a really great group. I plan to do Summit with them again at the end of the year
Yeah I was looking at Summit in October. Maybe I'll meet up with you there. I'll shoot you a DM if I book it.

I also have a long term goal of an Ozarks trip in 2024 if interested.