Sponsored

New S550 Owner looking for Boost

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
My honest opinion coming from a whipple owner.

1. I don't buy the 1st gen of anything new.

2. Not enough power for the price tag.

3. I love edelbrock but im not about the grinding parts to make a supercharger fit. Either it fits or it doesn't not my sorta games.

4. My personal choice, its pretty much awesome in every way and has no downsides except the smiles per gallon go up and the miles per gallon go down.

5. This is your daily, avoid turbo's like the plague unless you are buying a 2nd car to daily.

Regardless of what you go with, don't forget about cooling and OPG/CSS very important things to keeping the motor alive for a long time.

Also tires, the things that touch the ground are really important as well.

There is no grinding of anything to make the Edelbrock kit fit correctly sir.

givemeadollar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 LFP 800
There is no grinding of anything to make the Edelbrock kit fit correctly sir.
edelbrock-e-force-stage-1-street-supercharger-kit-15-17-gt-55.jpg

62. Trim off the square coil harness retaining tabs located on the top of both valve covers. File down any rough edges. Also, trim off the top of the rear round edge of the passenger side valve cover. Carefully remove all debris with a shop vac.

Also it says further down the install instructions that the strut brace may need to be trimmed as well for fitment.

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT

62. Trim off the square coil harness retaining tabs located on the top of both valve covers. File down any rough edges. Also, trim off the top of the rear round edge of the passenger side valve cover. Carefully remove all debris with a shop vac.

Also it says further down the install instructions that the strut brace may need to be trimmed as well for fitment.
I don't recall seeing that. Nor, did I trim anything to get mine on. 2018 Mustang GT. Must be those coil covers or somthing, that shit doesn't actually impede the install of the blower lol.

Also, ive never seen a strut bar on a car with a PD blower for this generation. There are plenty of engine bay photos around to confirm that.

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT

I just looked at my manual, 62 is talking about the idler pulley. What kit are you referring to? Surely it's not 15832.

Sponsored

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
E-force stage 1 install from american muscle.coms instructions.
Well that doesnt explain anything which kit are you referring to. If you go to edelbrock.com and look there you are bound to get the correct information.

The kit for the 2018+ mustang stage 1 is 15832. Type that in and download the manual there. It doesn't have anything about this cutting and trimming you are referring to. Since I own one, and have installed one, i know this to be true sir.

OP
OP
Rinzler

Rinzler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
We think there is one option missing from this list...

1. Hellion Turbo

One thing we can guarantee, if you go Hellion, everyone else will be reading your license plate and not the other way around :rockon: , hahahahahha.

We have some great affordable options, please let us know if you have any questions!

Team Hellion
TBH, I've only known Hellion to be expensive, and get more expensive quickly. Nothing against the quality of what y'all do, the TT kit on your website STARTS at $9,000 and the sleeper kit starts at $6750 and requires additional parts to push it to $7,700 without even a tune. Nothing about Hellion is what I would consider "affordable". Again, nothing against the quality of the parts and work. I'm sure they're excellent. Just not for me.

Jbcain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
6.7psd, 3.0eco
Go Turbo. That's what I'd do in hindsight.[/QU
You're also not factoring in the nearly limitless horsepower on tap, one and done.

No need for longtubes, no need for pulley swaps, no need for 10rib swaps, no need for headunit swaps. Etc etc.

barkingspud

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premuim
^^Exactly! ^^ but, what do I know? Lol can't say I'm unhappy with my choice (Vortech) as the car is insanely fun to drive. And, I'm not going to hang out with the Kool kiddies in Mexico. I'm a bit old for that scene.

OTOH, I can always tear it apart and do a turbo setup. I'll just wait till you get done with yours. ;-)

Last edited:

Sponsored

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Well that doesnt explain anything which kit are you referring to. If you go to edelbrock.com and look there you are bound to get the correct information.

The kit for the 2018+ mustang stage 1 is 15832. Type that in and download the manual there. It doesn't have anything about this cutting and trimming you are referring to. Since I own one, and have installed one, i know this to be true sir.
It may be referring to the 15-17 cars? Are the covers identical between Gen 2 & 3? I had to trim mine (15-17) to have any hope.

OniVita

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matar
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang S550 PP
I vote whipple hands down.

HELLION TURBO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
TBH, I've only known Hellion to be expensive, and get more expensive quickly. Nothing against the quality of what y'all do, the TT kit on your website STARTS at $9,000 and the sleeper kit starts at $6750 and requires additional parts to push it to $7,700 without even a tune. Nothing about Hellion is what I would consider "affordable". Again, nothing against the quality of the parts and work. I'm sure they're excellent. Just not for me.
Hello.

We respectfully disagree on your statement that nothing about Hellion is affordable. Obviously it depends on ones budget, but when considering a power to dollar ratio, with quality and customer service included, we feel that we
bring the best product to the table. For instance, our complete sleeper kit with tune is $7844. That includes everything needed to get running and the system itself is adjustable from 600-1200+ rwhp (and this power is huge average power not just a peak number). Our options are for anyone looking to expand on the base kit depending on budget allowed. Yes, you can option a kit above our base price, but the performance previously mentioned comes as a starting point. In our experience, having 8 second adjustable horsepower (really 7 second, in the proper car) for under 8K is reasonable considering everything that comes with it.

Team Hellion

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
It may be referring to the 15-17 cars? Are the covers identical between Gen 2 & 3? I had to trim mine (15-17) to have any hope.
he may be but he could have said that. I don't know, never looked at the install guide for a 15-17 - he was talking about trimming the coils or whatever. I personally would vote turbo if you got enough money, time and patience. lots of extra stuff to check with a turbo vs a supercharger mainly oil. there is no doubting the benefits of a turbo setup though.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
Hey guys, I just came into a 2018 GT 10R80 and am looking for boost options. My car is a daily driver logging about 20 miles each way back and forth to work. I'm looking for power, but also drivability. Open to supercharger and turbochargers as I am coming from a FBO S197 and don't have much experience with either.

I've done some preliminary research but most of the marketing jargon out there is just that, marketing. Everyone's got the best, coolest, most "stock-like" kit out there. I'd like some feedback on a few that I've narrowed down. Keep in mind, I'm looking to spend about $8000 outside of the installation.

Here's my shortlist: (completely open to other options)
  1. VMP Loki
  2. Roush Phase 1
  3. Edlebrock E-Force Stage 1
  4. Whipple Stage 1
  5. On3 Turbo Kit
Discuss!
Your choice will depend on a few other things. Do you plan to drag race the car? Do you want a tune that comes with the forced induction or are you open to spending around $1,000 for a custom tune/tuner and datalogging so the tuner can dial it in? Is a powertrain warranty important to you? Are you willing to spend more for supporting mods like OPG/CS, suspension mods, etc?

Not everyone has the same goals when going forced induction.
Sponsored