Sponsored

New Roush install. Bucking/surging/hesitating. Logs attached

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
Hi,

Wondering if anybody would be able to help, im trying to troubleshoot my new Roush P2 (727bhp) install on my 16GT. Its using a custom tune (not the Roush canned tune).

Ive noticed that often under constant light throttle the car will feel like its hesitating and then surging and then hesitating again. Its quite noticable.

Ive also had a few occasions where it seems like its 'dumped' all the boost before coming back alive again almost instantaneously. This happened under WOT.

All the vac / intake connections appear good. The car is making a lot of power and is in general driving fine under WOT conditions. Just cruising around gently is where it seems to be making issues.

Also, if giving a bit of throttle and then making a 1-2 shift, it can sometimes be very tricky to modulate the throttle to get a clean shift and smooth power delivery at low revs in gear 2.

Ive attached a log I made. This was in 4th gear, around 60mph, light (constant) throttle. The car was continuously hesitating and then surging. I could even hear it in the exhaust tone.

No CELs whatsoever.

Thanks for any insights.
Sponsored

Attachments

Temovic55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500 2014, ROUSH II 2018
Vehicle Showcase
Hey kapiteinlangzaam

I've been facing the same symptoms like you described and trying to figure out what causes this! I even changed my local tuner ( Who works as a receiver from another source eventually ) then moved to a real deal tuner who was able to make the car run smoother than ever and pulls like a screaming pig!
To be honest, the tuner needs to catch those hesitations/hiccups on a light 1st & 2nd gear speed. You could also do the sweep log as well. That would help a lot.
Good luck!

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
00Ps better call Roush? Who would have thunk it, I use Roush products. And think it's a good idea to follow thru, matching the resources.

Think about it :question:

OP
OP

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
So you think it's likely to be in the tune?

I was tuned with Kind when the car was NA, but have switched now to a local tuner.

I have an N gauge in the car. Wondering if I should go back to Lund.....

What's a sweep log by the way?

Thanks

OP
OP

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
00Ps better call Roush? Who would have thunk it, I use Roush products. And think it's a good idea to follow thru, matching the resources.

Think about it :question:
I'm in Europe. Roush have no presence here.

Plus the general opinion on the canned tune is that it sucks.

Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
First of all the software is digital and has nothing to do with where you have your tent.

Second, and the best one "the general opinion on the canned tune is that it sucks." Does this include Karren's .02 ?

Third reading the post you're not making any headway as it stands now or did I miss read it?

Temovic55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500 2014, ROUSH II 2018
Vehicle Showcase
So you think it's likely to be in the tune?

I was tuned with Kind when the car was NA, but have switched now to a local tuner.

I have an N gauge in the car. Wondering if I should go back to Lund.....

What's a sweep log by the way?

Thanks
If you're pretty sure about the connections and there isn't any kind of leakage then YES tune is a major part!
For me, I went with Ortiz performance ( The man is a legend ) and I am a abroad customer like you! All the files were sent, data logged via Nguage.
The sweep log is basically smoothly & gradually rev ( 1500 - 3500 ) this will give indication to the tuner to track the spark, voltage, MAF period ..etc

stanger1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2013 Shelby GT500-Sold, 2017 Roush RS3
I have used VMP several times and have always been happy with their tunes..
And like everyone has said, you will do the slow rev data log and then some wide open pulls in a safe remote area for the tuner to see what going on with all the PID's selected.
Or after all this,
I just decided to just run 100% Roush Phase 2 on the 17 RS3.
A lot of reasons, safe, all Roush, CARB Certified, and still plenty fast for the street. And it still 727hp. I'm good.
Just find a Ford dealer and they can load the tune after you do the cooler plugs, BAP, smaller pulley, 80mm.

Last edited:

Roush05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
I dont know who your local tuner is and this isn't meant as a disparaging remark, but use Lund or PBD. They have a wealth of experience eith these cars specifically and can almost definitely tune the car better than your local tuner.

I used a local guy for a while, and he is a very good tuner, but most of his expertise is with LS motors. When I switched to Lund the results were immediate and noticeable. The only hard part was finding safe places to do the datalogs, and you can always rent some dyno time if you want/need to.

OP
OP

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
OK I've just emailed LUND for a tune. Will see if that makes a difference.

I was always LUND tuned when NA (and have an NGauge), so apart from the $$$ hoping it will be a quick and painless solution.

Sponsored

Roush05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
It should be. I'll be using them whenever I decide to void my warranty and start modding. I haven't gotten the car yet, but already planning for when I get tired of the stock roush tune.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I would use Wengerd, great drivability and pleasant to deal with.

OP
OP

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
I think better the devil you know. I have a Lund ngauge and have been using them for nearly 5yrs, so will stick with them.

I've heard good things about PBD and Wengerd, but will just keep it simple and go Lund again.

Vert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whipped 19 GT Premium
I had that issue on my 14 and after a couple of revised tunes, it took care of it. If you want the most power, I'd stay away from the roush tune.