Sponsored

Paxton Surging and Bucking...Tune Issues?

dsp4848

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Magnetic
So I'll preface this by saying that I've had this issue over the past several months and have just been putting up with it. It's still driveable, just annoying. This will probably be a wordy post, but I want to be detailed enough to share what I've noticed and tried throughout this process and hopefully learn a thing or two along the way. I contacted Lund (my tuner) last year and tried to get the issue solved to no avail after a long string of back and forth emails with him. My mods are in my sig.

The issue:
Over the past few months, I've had a lot of part throttle surging and occasionally bucking. The surging is noticed when I'm giving the car about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle immediately after an upshift and also when starting out in first gear. It's like when I push the gas pedal to 1/2 to 3/4 throttle, the car isn't making the demanded power until about a second or two later. The power then comes in all at once, almost like turbo lag. The bucking is a little more dramatic, resulting in the car bucking like a bronco for a few seconds until it resolves itself. This has only been noticed at part throttle (usually about 1/2 throttle or more) immediately after an upshift - I can recreate this the most when going from second to third gear. Driving casually around town at low throttle won't cause the issue - it's only when I'm giving the car at least about 1/2 throttle. Giving the car more throttle just makes the bucking worse, so I have to let off the gas for a couple seconds and then try again. WOT is fine, I don't really have any complaints here. Also highway speed cruising is great - my fuel trims at highway cruising are usually +-5%.

A few things I've noticed and some notes:
-When I was troubleshooting with Lund last year, the first suspicion was that I have a vacuum leak. I've replaced vacuum hoses and fittings, un/reinstalled the MAF, un/reinstalled the throttle body, un/reinstalled piping, and tried running the car with and without the UPR catch can. If I have a vacuum leak, it's the sneakiest son of a bitch ever because I cannot find it. Further, I've visually inspected all vacuum hoses and everything looks great. No cracked hoses and all fittings are super tight. I have clamps on all connections. I have a 2018 manifold here, so I guess I could just rip out the stock manifold and reseat literally everything and see if that helps, but I'll save that as a last resort.

-During the surging and even the bucking process, I can hear that the Tial bypass valve is closed. No boost leak here.

-Anywhere from 3/4 throttle to WOT, my LTFTs are pegged at about -16%. Why is this?

-Transitions between on and off of the throttle seem a little jerky. For example, LTFTs will go from -20% to +5% when transitioning from 0 throttle to about 10% throttle.

-Driving at a negative incline with light throttle, the LTFTs and STFTs are very negative. On average, I think about -15% each. To me that seems a little off.

-Don't know if it's related, but I've had a weird cold startup idle issue as well where the car hunts around between about 600-800 RPM for several seconds before bringing the idle speed up. I've noticed that during this time, my LTFTs are very negative (around -20%). Not sure why the car would be pulling fuel at startup? From what I've researched, I believe this is during open loop, because after several more seconds the STFTs come in (entering closed loop), adding fuel. After the STFTs start adding fuel, the idle becomes normal.

-With the UPR catch can installed, my fuel trims do seem to change a bit. They tend to be more negative (pulling fuel due to rich condition) without it installed. Initially, Lund and I thought this was the culprit (possible vacuum leak), but the car exhibits the same issues regardless of the catch can being installed or not.

So, with all of that said, has anyone else experienced this? Does this sound like a tuning issue? Something else perhaps? I will post a datalog on here as soon as I can to help provide info. I'd appreciate any insight into this issue, so I can finally solve it. Thanks!
Sponsored

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
Well one if u had a vaccum leak your fuel trims would way in the positive not -20 that is pulling fuel due to a rich condition.Sounds to me like your fuel at cruise and light throttle are way off.Look.at what lambase is reading,this is what is being commanded by the pcm and match that up to your fuel trims.This will tell.a little more,or post a log.

kcc0521

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
It could be in the tune but it seems unlikely given the number of cars that Lund has tuned. Who at Lund is tuning your car? Your car is very similar to mine before I changed pulley's, went E85 and return fuel system. My car has always ran well. Is it possible that your MAF sensor got dirty or O2 sensors are going bad?

smann

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Same setup.. My car has the same bucking issue, but I had that issue before I got the supercharger as well.

In terms of lag.. I can kinda see what you mean by that. Theres times when I shift from 2/3 and its not instant power; but keep in mind these blowers are more mid-power strong and not really down low all too much

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
Same setup.. My car has the same bucking issue, but I had that issue before I got the supercharger as well.

In terms of lag.. I can kinda see what you mean by that. Theres times when I shift from 2/3 and its not instant power; but keep in mind these blowers are more mid-power strong and not really down low all too much
if your shifting at 7200-7800 rpms, your coming in power, expecially in the auto you won't notice any drop, if manual, it's all driver

Sponsored

MikeyPee

dissmember
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 IS Premium GT w/PP
Going into boost slightly before enrichment???

OP
OP
dsp4848

dsp4848

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Magnetic
Thanks for the feedback guys. I've been really busy lately but haven't forgotten about this issue. Funny thing is that the car has been acting fairly well over the past week, go figure. It'll act up at some point and when it does, I'll get it on datalog and upload here.

It could be in the tune but it seems unlikely given the number of cars that Lund has tuned. Who at Lund is tuning your car? Your car is very similar to mine before I changed pulley's, went E85 and return fuel system. My car has always ran well. Is it possible that your MAF sensor got dirty or O2 sensors are going bad?
Yeah, that's what I've been thinking. This is definitely not Lund's first rodeo. I actually tried cleaning the MAF a few weeks ago and nothing changed afterwards. I've wondered about the O2 sensors, but since both banks are consistent with each other in the fuel trim percentage, this doesn't seem to be the case. Of course, I can't 100% rule that out until I change them out for new ones. And at Lund, it was Lund Sr. who last did my tune revisions.

Well one if u had a vaccum leak your fuel trims would way in the positive not -20 that is pulling fuel due to a rich condition.Sounds to me like your fuel at cruise and light throttle are way off.Look.at what lambase is reading,this is what is being commanded by the pcm and match that up to your fuel trims.This will tell.a little more,or post a log.
Agreed. I'm still trying to get a moment to go drive around and get a log of what I described in the first post. It's pretty random when it does act up, so I'm hoping to get it on a datalog and upload here as soon as possible.

Was it on your stock tune where you would have the bucking issue?

Going into boost slightly before enrichment???
That's an interesting point. I don't totally understand power enrichment, but I've read that it is supposed to come in at and above 90% throttle. If power enrichment is in charge of adding the necessary fuel for this applied throttle, then that does make sense.

To the OP. Has your issue been resolved?
No, unfortunately, it hasn't. I haven't experienced much bucking lately, but have had some surging. I'm still trying to get this on a datalog, since it happens randomly. Will update this thread when I get a datalog of the issue.

smann

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Nope only having bucking issue POST lund tune. Drive drives great but did not happen when it was stock. Sometimes I think the jerky/bucking issue is because how sensitive the throttle is.

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
Make sure the MAF housing is clocked correctly within the IC piping. Having it out of position can cause drivability issues.

Im sure you've already checked this, but its good to go through the easy stuff first.

Sponsored

EVIL-PUNKIN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2015 Competition Orange GT Premium
Vortech V3 owner here and I can definitely say I’m in the same boat as you guys with the surging and bucking. I can really only see one common trend between all of us, I’m not saying it’s the issue, it’s just really weird that we are all Lund tuned. I too have tried to get it resolved through revisions MULTIPLE times, but it never has went away so I just eventually gave up. I’m going to eventually get it dyno tuned when I get all I need for the fuel system and smaller pulley anyway. Just sucks to have this much invested in a car and then it have problems and feel like something is bad wrong but everyone else seems to think nothing is because the datalogs aren’t showing them any issues. Oh well.........

smann

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Vortech V3 owner here and I can definitely say I’m in the same boat as you guys with the surging and bucking. I can really only see one common trend between all of us, I’m not saying it’s the issue, it’s just really weird that we are all Lund tuned. I too have tried to get it resolved through revisions MULTIPLE times, but it never has went away so I just eventually gave up. I’m going to eventually get it dyno tuned when I get all I need for the fuel system and smaller pulley anyway. Just sucks to have this much invested in a car and then it have problems and feel like something is bad wrong but everyone else seems to think nothing is because the datalogs aren’t showing them any issues. Oh well.........
Lol couldn't have said it better.
Most likely there's issues but :shrug:

OP
OP
dsp4848

dsp4848

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Magnetic
Thanks for all of the responses and feedback!

Attached is a couple of logs that capture my car chugging at idle immediately after startup and then bucking under acceleration. These are still in Excel format, so what I do is graph whatever columns I want in Excel and the data is displayed nicely.

In log 65, the idle log, I find it interesting that the chugging/hunting around happens before the STFTs come in. As soon as these start adding fuel the car corrects itself. It seems that the LTFTs are pulling fuel for some reason.

In log 68, the bucking happens in 3rd gear. You can see the up and down of the RPM right after I shift into 3rd.

Let me know if what you guys think about these attached logs.

Attachments

OP
OP
dsp4848

dsp4848

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Magnetic
Make sure the MAF housing is clocked correctly within the IC piping. Having it out of position can cause drivability issues.

Im sure you've already checked this, but its good to go through the easy stuff first.
Thanks, yeah I've checked this before and I believe I have it in the correct position. I have it positioned so that the open end of the MAF (also the end with the little resistor looking sensor on it) facing toward the intercooler piping and facing away from the throttle body.

markmurfie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
Have you flashed your car back to the stock file and tried flashing the Lund file again?
That has fixed some strange fuel trim issues before.

Your STFT and LTFT are fighting each other at idle. But that leaves your actual AFR right where it should be. Just an indication of possible other issues like EVAP stuck.

I think what you are feeling at part throttle is the VCT intake and exhaust being at 0. The intake cam at 0 is actually in the middle as it is a midlock phaser. Its kinda looks like you are meeting the load requirement for OP, but not the pedal so it is not phasing the cams to where they should be. Everything... spark, speed density, torque values, etc. all depend on the cams moving to the right position to get the right mapped point values. Being at 0 when they should be flowing through a few mapped points is not going to give you smooth results.

Instead of messing around in Excel, download SCT livelink Gen II. It will chart all the values for you and you can add histograms to compare two or thee values against each other.

I start with getting a new battery. Put it in. hook a battery charger up. flash the stock file. Then flash the lune file and see how it goes.
Sponsored