Sponsored

New cold air kit from PMAS No tune required.

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
Hi everyone. My car was used to develop this kit. First let me say I see no reason what so ever that other cars will see the same results. Car is stock other than ford resonator delete that I dont care for, to raspy. I am not a dyno operator or super tech but did spend 24 years as a tool maker so I do have some wrenching skill. Dyno pulls were performed by a very skilled and respected dyno shop. First off impressions is that it is very large and looks very good and in your face in person. It is a tight fit at elbow but when adjusted fits and clears hood. Mass air meter is a work of art and allows lots of room to grow. Driving impressions. I believe throttle response improved, Can hear the motor more, I have removed sound tube. Real seat of the pants improvement from 4000 rpm and above. Car idles and drives perfect. In my opinion this kit is for the real car guy that values real performance. 100% confident this will perform as stated. Did I say it is big. Now that I have said all this I do have to say that it is coming off as I have had a stage 2 procharger sitting in the garage for a month waiting to go on and can not wait any longer. Special thanks to Nick at P MAS. Everything turned out great.
Thanks for sharing. I'll run one of my questions above by you and ask another different one.

1. Again were the dyno runs done with hood open/closed?

2. How pleased are you with the seal of the air box to the hood? Can you see the marks of the seals on the box on the hood blanket?

Thanks. :)
Sponsored

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
Hood up but air temps were higher with pulls on our kit as the room was hotter by 10 degrees and the car wasn't moving for any of the tests. If anything temps into our filter would be higher because more air is being drawn from the engine compartment that way and not as much from the grill opening.

Yes, anything you can do to improve airflow will help flow and temps.
Thanks for the quick reply. I admit I have hesitations when I hear the test was done with the hood open. I am in no way trying to belittle your product please know that. But if it is designed to seal to the hood, testing should have been done with the hood closed to test the system gains in a more "real world" driving experience. We have had the discussion on air temps in the other thread so that 10 degree temperature is negligible when the system is flowing far more air to overcome that hindrance. Leaving the hood up is allowing the filter unrestricted access to air. In other words, if you could show me the same or close to the same gains on the dyno with the hood closed you will have me as a customer. Sorry I'm so hesitant/doubtful, its just the way I am. But I've got to say I love your communication skills here on the site and I thank you for it. :)

OP
OP

PMAS

Threads
Reaction score
Website
WWW.PMAS-MAF.com
Vehicle(s)
multiple
Ya I would be interested in seeing those too.

this!.. I have been thinking about opening that inlet up as well. I cant see it hurting anything but if there is no intake box would there really be a purpose since that incoming air wouldn't really make it to the filter? I guess some "cooler" air would be better than none at all. I think that is the ONLY thing I don't like about this intake... lack of actual incoming cool air from outside the hot motor bay. Maybe it does use that air somehow and I just don't know it ??
There is a very large hole in our airbox in the same location as the hole in the stock airbox.

OP
OP

PMAS

Threads
Reaction score
Website
WWW.PMAS-MAF.com
Vehicle(s)
multiple
Thanks for the quick reply. I admit I have hesitations when I hear the test was done with the hood open. I am in no way trying to belittle your product please know that. But if it is designed to seal to the hood, testing should have been done with the hood closed to test the system gains in a more "real world" driving experience. We have had the discussion on air temps in the other thread so that 10 degree temperature is negligible when the system is flowing far more air to overcome that hindrance. Leaving the hood up is allowing the filter unrestricted access to air. In other words, if you could show me the same or close to the same gains on the dyno with the hood closed you will have me as a customer. Sorry I'm so hesitant/doubtful, its just the way I am. But I've got to say I love your communication skills here on the site and I thank you for it. :)
I understand completely but I know the size of the hole in our airbox is more than enough to supply the filter with enough air that hood closed will make no real difference with the car not in motion. I have spent the last 17 years of my life on the flow stand, engine dyno and chassis dyno and I've been racing since 95. At some point I have to use experience and past experiences to eliminate testing every possible scenario every time over and over again. I have already seen those results many times.

Please don't take offense to this reply.

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
There is a very large hole in our airbox in the same location as the hole in the stock airbox.
Funny I was just looking at the picture and saw those as you were responding. I would agree opening up the grilles to let more air in would be a good idea then.

I'll ask again will there be a limited warranty offered on the MAF sensor included in your kit? Sorry if I missed your answer before.

Sponsored

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
I understand completely but I know the size of the hole in our airbox is more than enough to supply the filter with enough air that hood closed will make no real difference with the car not in motion. I have spent the last 17 years of my life on the flow stand. At some point I have to use experience and past experiences to eliminate testing every possible scenario every time over and over again. I have already seen those results many times.

Please don't take offense to this reply.
I don't at all. :) I have been in the scientific community for 25 years and its integral in my job as well. As a scientist I need to know testing procedures are valid and certain variables present or absent. I just find issue with your testing with the hood open. Sorry I have to be that way. I don't drive with the hood up and open. Again if you ever retest with the hood closed and post up the gains as the same or close to the same I will defend your product to the last. You've left some room for doubt, and as a scientific mind, skepticism is always there. If you could remove that doubt, you will destroy your competition as you will have the real world data to prove it as well. :) Again please don't take offense you are one helluva nice guy. Best wishes and I'd love to see it re-tested with the hood down. I'll leave it at that. :D

OP
OP

PMAS

Threads
Reaction score
Website
WWW.PMAS-MAF.com
Vehicle(s)
multiple
I don't at all. :) I have been in the scientific community for 25 years and its integral in my job as well. As a scientist I need to know testing procedures are valid and certain variables present or absent. I just find issue with your testing with the hood open. Sorry I have to be that way. I don't drive with the hood up and open. Again if you ever retest with the hood closed and post up the gains as the same or close to the same I will defend your product to the last. You've left some room for doubt, and as a scientific mind, skepticism is always there. If you could remove that doubt, you will destroy your competition as you will have the real world data to prove it as well. :) Again please don't take offense you are one helluva nice guy. Best wishes and I'd love to see it re-tested with the hood down. I'll leave it at that. :D
Lol understood, I'm the same way. that's why I'm the only maf and intake manufacturer using a NIST tracable flow stand with a primary calibration :) All of our maf sensors carry a lifetime warranty.

Poppacapp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT

you absolutely cannot test an air intake product on a dyno as a "real world" driving experience. You do not have the airflow you have running down the road. If anything expect more possible gains on the street than the dyno.

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
you absolutely cannot test an air intake product on a dyno as a "real world" driving experience. You do not have the airflow you have running down the road. If anything expect more possible gains on the street than the dyno.
Correct, but you can make it as close as possible (notice I said "more real world", not "real world") by testing any system with the hood closed and a large fan blowing air in the general vicinity of the air pickup. We drive with the hoods closed, that is how EVERY manufacturer should test their system, not just PMAS, they all test with the hood up. They (all manufacturers) do this for a reason and I think you understand why. I'm not singling out PMAS, he just happens to be a good communicator and I appreciate that. ;)

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
Lol understood, I'm the same way. that's why I'm the only maf and intake manufacturer using a NIST tracable flow stand with a primary calibration :) All of our maf sensors carry a lifetime warranty.
Awesome great to hear that and glad you stand behind your product. I've said before you are first in line. There is only one thing holding me back, no need to reiterate it again.

Its also got me wondering if there would be any gains on a stock system with a recalibrated/reprogrammed MAF sensor over the stock one on stock tuning. Just curious. (That's the scientist in me.) :)

Sponsored

socalsnake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 5.0 GT PP
Awesome great to hear that and glad you stand behind your product. I've said before you are first in line. There is only one thing holding me back, no need to reiterate it again.

Its also got me wondering if there would be any gains on a stock system with a recalibrated/reprogrammed MAF sensor over the stock one on stock tuning. Just curious. (That's the scientist in me.) :)
This is an excellent question as some of us would like to initially purchase and install the intake sans tune and then upgrade to a tune later.

The other scenario is to purchase this intake and a tune simultaneously - but then which scenario would make more power - the stock tuned MAF with an aftermarket tune or the MAF adjusted for a tune which then has to account for the newly scaled MAF sensor?

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
This is an excellent question as some of us would like to initially purchase and install the intake sans tune and then upgrade to a tune later.

The other scenario is to purchase this intake and a tune simultaneously - but then which scenario would make more power - the stock tuned MAF with an aftermarket tune or the MAF adjusted for a tune which then has to account for the newly scaled MAF sensor?
With all the fear (real or imagined) of voiding power train warranties, I can't but think that a recalibrated MAF sensor that could give you a boost in HP/TQ with the stock or upgraded intake that totally bypasses the need to tune/reflash the stock programming would be the way to go for a casual modder like myself. You could simply swap the stock intake or MAF or both back in and Ford wouldn't know the wiser when they looked at the stock tune files I would assume.

socalsnake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 5.0 GT PP
With all the fear (real or imagined) of voiding power train warranties, I can't but think that a recalibrated MAF sensor that could give you a boost in HP/TQ with the stock or upgraded intake that totally bypasses the need to tune/reflash the stock programming would be the way to go for a casual modder like myself. You could simply swap the stock intake or MAF or both back in and Ford wouldn't know the wiser when they looked at the stock tune files I would assume.
Thanks I was hoping for that scenario.

I consider myself a casual modder as well at this point but I'm just leaving some wiggle room if I get the bug to mod further. Like most everyone on here, I'd start with an intake, most likely the PMAS's intake.

RSKTAKR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I have been waiting for this CAI to be released before upgrading to a real CAI from the k&n drop in and airaid CAI tube I have now. I just switched from SCT to HP Tuners for my s550 as well so I'm curious to see how much "tweaking" I can do with the software and this CAI. That being said I think over $400 for a CAI is a little pricey (however worth it I'm sure) but I don't care to pay over $250 for a CAI either. I'm sure I will pick one of these up when a used one comes up for sale though.

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
Thanks I was hoping for that scenario.

I consider myself a casual modder as well at this point but I'm just leaving some wiggle room if I get the bug to mod further. Like most everyone on here, I'd start with an intake, most likely the PMAS's intake.
Yes it would be nice to know if files can be written for this intake at a later date and loaded with a handheld programmer i.e. SCT/Diablosport/etc.

I have been waiting for this CAI to be released before upgrading to a real CAI from the k&n drop in and airaid CAI tube I have now. I just switched from SCT to HP Tuners for my s550 as well so I'm curious to see how much "tweaking" I can do with the software and this CAI. That being said I think over $400 for a CAI is a little pricey (however worth it I'm sure) but I don't care to pay over $250 for a CAI either. I'm sure I will pick one of these up when a used one comes up for sale though.
I'm in your boat with intake and filter but am still untuned. I'm looking for the greatest gains without running the risk of voiding my power train warranty from Ford or my dealer. As for the price if it comes with a recalibrated MAF sensor in that price as well. Not sure if the other ones do this or not. Just something to think about. :)
Sponsored