Sponsored

New cold air kit from PMAS No tune required.

OP
OP

PMAS

Threads
Reaction score
Website
WWW.PMAS-MAF.com
Vehicle(s)
multiple
This is an excellent question as some of us would like to initially purchase and install the intake sans tune and then upgrade to a tune later.

The other scenario is to purchase this intake and a tune simultaneously - but then which scenario would make more power - the stock tuned MAF with an aftermarket tune or the MAF adjusted for a tune which then has to account for the newly scaled MAF sensor?
There is no "tuning" in the maf calibration. It is programmed to have the same calibration as the stock maf. x flow = Y hz You can not change this and have the stock car run without a tune. This is the reason some aftermarket cold air systems need a tune. when you place the maf in a tube with more area it takes more air the get the same HZ output. if a maf reads 500hz at 500KG/HR in a tube with an area of 4in sq and you put it in a tube with 8in sq area it will take 1000KG/HR to get an output of 500HZ. The computer still thinks there is only 500KG/hr there.

These kits don't need a flash because of improved airflow they need a flash because the computer thinks the wrong amount of air is going in the engine.

You can still tune with our maf, you just need to select "stock intake" in the tune.

This is why I hate the use of these inserts "restrictions" in the maf housing. They are necking the tube back down to the stock size of the maf to get the car to run.
Sponsored

socalsnake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 5.0 GT PP
There is no "tuning" in the maf calibration. It is programmed to have the same calibration as the stock maf. x flow = Y hz You can not change this and have the stock car run without a tune. This is the reason some aftermarket cold air systems need a tune. when you place the maf in a tube with more area it takes more air the get the same HZ output. if a maf reads 500hz at 500KG/HR in a tube with an area of 4in sq and you put it in a tube with 8in sq area it will take 1000KG/HR to get an output of 500HZ. The computer still thinks there is only 500KG/hr there.

These kits don't need a flash because of improved airflow the need a flash because the computer thinks the wrong amount of air is going in the engine.

You can still tune with our maf, you just need to select "stock intake" in the tune.
Got it. Simple then!

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
I have the K&N drop in filter and Airaid intake tube as well without a tune and i noticed some butt dyno power from this, but my question is did you notice more power when you applied a tune to this setup?
Also I wonder how much more HP the PMAS intake is over my setup now, like is it worth throwing away $200 worth of parts and spending $400 more?

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
I have the K&N drop in filter and Airaid intake tube as well without a tune and i noticed some butt dyno power from this, but my question is did you notice more power when you applied a tune to this setup?
Also I wonder how much more HP the PMAS intake is over my setup now, like is it worth throwing away $200 worth of parts and spending $400 more?
It very well could be worth it if you don't want to get tuned and possibly void your power train warranty. This is the problem I'm grappling with right now. I haven't bought a tuner yet because I run the risk of voiding the warranty if I frag the engine due to a tune. I'm still paying on my car. ;) This intake could very well be the answer for those of us that want to get some power out of an intake without the risk of voiding our warranty with a tune. Again I have to mention my one hesitancy on testing variables. If I net 20 RWHP/15 RWTQ for a hair over $400 without warranty fears then it is well worth it. But if I only net say 10/10 when installed because I drive with my hood closed, it doesn't look as good a proposition. I know PMAS has got to be tired of me bringing that up but I can't get past it. In the grand scheme of things a $400 gamble isn't that great. I may just take the plunge myself. I have trust issues. ;)

derieuz

The Young Fella'
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
It very well could be if you don't want to get tuned and possibly void your power train warranty. This is the problem I'm grappling with right now. I haven't bought a tuner yet because I run the risk of voiding the warranty if I frag the engine due to a tune. I'm still paying on my car. ;) This intake could very well be the answer for those of us that want to get some power out of an intake without the risk of voiding our warranty with a tune. Again I have to mention my one hesitancy on testing variables. If I net 20 RWHP/15 RWTQ for a hair over $400 without warranty fears then it is well worth it. But if I only net say 10/10 when installed because I drive with my hood closed, it doesn't look as good a proposition. I know PMAS has got to be tired of me bringing that up but I can't get past it. In the grand scheme of things a $400 gamble isn't that great. I may just take the plunge myself. I have trust issues. ;)
I don't understand this logic here, every cold air intake company most likely dyno's the car with the hood open, so that "fear" should theoretically be with every company. Also, the hood was open during the stock pulls as well, so if closing the hood was a restriction; then the stock dyno numbers would fall as well. The net power change would not change at all and if it did, it would be minuscule to the point where you would not feel a difference

Sponsored

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
It very well could be worth it if you don't want to get tuned and possibly void your power train warranty. This is the problem I'm grappling with right now. I haven't bought a tuner yet because I run the risk of voiding the warranty if I frag the engine due to a tune. I'm still paying on my car. ;) This intake could very well be the answer for those of us that want to get some power out of an intake without the risk of voiding our warranty with a tune. Again I have to mention my one hesitancy on testing variables. If I net 20 RWHP/15 RWTQ for a hair over $400 without warranty fears then it is well worth it. But if I only net say 10/10 when installed because I drive with my hood closed, it doesn't look as good a proposition. I know PMAS has got to be tired of me bringing that up but I can't get past it. In the grand scheme of things a $400 gamble isn't that great. I may just take the plunge myself. I have trust issues. ;)
Even if it netted 10/10 with the hood closed, that would not be representative of what you'd see in the real world driving around - it is unlikely you are going to replicate the amount of air flow you get when driving at speed with fans on the dyno.

I don't understand this logic here, every cold air intake company most likely dyno's the car with the hood open, so that "fear" should theoretically be with every company. Also, the hood was open during the stock pulls as well, so if closing the hood was a restriction; then the stock dyno numbers would fall as well. The net power change would not change at all and if it did, it would be minuscule to the point where you would not feel a difference
Not necessarily. The stock intake is fully enclosed so it is not going to see any benefit of additional air flow - depending on how the fans were positioned. if the fans were not blowing only into the grill but into the open hood as well, the pmas intake is likely seeing flow it wouldn't see if the hood were closed and that the stock intake would not see regardless.

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
Even if it netted 10/10 with the hood closed, that would not be representative of what you'd see in the real world driving around - it is unlikely you are going to replicate the amount of air flow you get when driving at speed with fans on the dyno.

Not necessarily. The stock intake is fully enclosed so it is not going to see any benefit of additional air flow - depending on how the fans were positioned. if the fans were not blowing only into the grill but into the open hood as well, the pmas intake is likely seeing flow it wouldn't see if the hood were closed and that the stock intake would not see regardless.
Thanks you answered it exactly as I would have. The stock intake is basically fully enclosed, most aftermarket ones are open and if the hood goes up they see a decrease in restriction and flow better. And you are correct no dyno session is going to exactly replicate real world driving conditions, but to simulate them as CLOSE as you can they should all be done with the hood closed, and that includes the stock intake as well so the box has a chance to heat soak just like it would if you are driving the car. I don't drive with my hood up or with a hole in the hood to let outside ambient air have a direct pathway to an aftermarket filter. If the key factor to an intake making power is flow, then most all restrictions to that flow need to be in place when it is tested. If PMAS (or any other manufacturer) would come in and say we gain X HP when the hood is open but we gain Y HP when the hood is closed on the dyno it would let me know they understand there is a difference in testing. You can manipulate variables to make the stats look good so to speak. I'm not saying PMAS is doing this at all, but I'm saying to sell a product you are going to put it in its best light. But I will say again, I think their setup is where I will go IF I decide to step up to a full on intake. :)

derieuz

The Young Fella'
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Thanks you answered it exactly as I would have. The stock intake is basically fully enclosed, most aftermarket ones are open and if the hood goes up they see a decrease in restriction and flow better. And you are correct no dyno session is going to exactly replicate real world driving conditions, but to simulate them as CLOSE as you can they should all be done with the hood closed, and that includes the stock intake as well so the box has a chance to heat soak just like it would if you are driving the car. I don't drive with my hood up or with a hole in the hood to let outside ambient air have a direct pathway to an aftermarket filter. If the key factor to an intake making power is flow, then most all restrictions to that flow need to be in place when it is tested. If PMAS (or any other manufacturer) would come in and say we gain X HP when the hood is open but we gain Y HP when the hood is closed on the dyno it would let me know they understand there is a difference in testing. You can manipulate variables to make the stats look good so to speak. I'm not saying PMAS is doing this at all, but I'm saying to sell a product you are going to put it in its best light. But I will say again, I think their setup is where I will go IF I decide to step up to a full on intake. :)
I dont understand why people are critiquing PMAS and not the other air intake manufacturers.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
I have had some form of CAI since 1991 until current times. This includes dyno tuning and canned tunes on all those mustangs. They have never been tuned or dynoed with the hood closed, ever.

The dyno numbers that my cars put down translated to the track and the MPH they ran on the 1/4 mile, with the hood closed :D

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
I dont understand why people are critiquing PMAS and not the other air intake manufacturers.
Oh they have. Months and months ago, people were trying to put JLT in the ringer with the same IAT temps, hood open, hood closed while dynoing. Thread was a complete debacle. Jay did great with all the naysayers:D

Sponsored

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
Oh I've mentioned others if not by name, check my posts. They all do it I am not singling them out. They have just been very candid in discussing it with us here on the site. I admire that. I have a feeling the others don't even want to talk about it with us.

I have had some form of CAI since 1991 until current times. This includes dyno tuning and canned tunes on all those mustangs. They have never been tuned or dynoed with the hood closed, ever.

The dyno numbers that my cars put down translated to the track and the MPH they ran on the 1/4 mile, with the hood closed :D
Understood. I've had some sort of "cold"AI on a vehicle since 1999 as well. And every mod I've done usually shaves a little time off my ET or bumps up my trap speed. The thing with me is whatever number you see on the dyno is the best possible scenario. Quote a number and people are going to expect 20 rwhp gains with this system. Take it to the streets or the track and a more realistic 10 rwhp gain may be seen. Enough to give you that butt dyno smile or click off a tenth at the track but not exactly what was shown. I'm all for truth in advertising. I'd love to see all the manufacturers list hood up and hood down gains when testing their CAI's. I think this would give for a more realistic expectation for those possible buyers out there. And again, I'm not singling PMAS out. On the contrary if I were made to buy a CAI today I would choose theirs as it does not require a tune AND increases flow. Just because the entire industry does it, doesn't make it right. ;) Kinda like your Mom used to say, "If everyone was jumping off a bridge, would you do it too?" Or something to that effect.

PMAS you guys have been great addressing my concerns and your openness is very refreshing, thank you. I can't really ever let go of that part of me that likes scientific proof. But I've got to say, you guys come damn close. Thank you. :D

Brent302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
I'm over here like..

Can't wait to receive my email saying they are ready to ship!

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
I'm over here like..

Can't wait to receive my email saying they are ready to ship!
Let us know the details when you get it. Ease of installation, butt dyno, IAT temps, etc. Always like to hear from the early adopters. :)

Brent302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Let us know the details when you get it. Ease of installation, butt dyno, IAT temps, etc. Always like to hear from the early adopters. :)
Will do I took some stock IAT temps today.