Sponsored

New 5.0 Coyote oil type and mileage questions?

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR

Tim Hilliard

Happy Owner
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Guard 300A PP Recaro
Does anyone know the current size Motocraft filter on the 5.0?

What do you think, will it stay the same or change?
Same filter I think FL-500S $5.99 at AutoZone. I like the full synthetic Mobil 1. I would just stick with the oil life monitor and if you don't do many miles, change it twice a year.

I agree stick with Motorcraft Filter. Alternate choices would be brands like Purolator(They make majority of others mentioned-huge private label manufacturer that makes very good product), WIX, Baldwin, Donaldson.

Honestly any modern syn or semi-syn oil is likely fine, I like consistency so I stick with what I've been using for 20 years, Mobil 1. I can swing the $100 bucks a few times a year. AZ actually sells the Motorcraft jugs for $26 so for less than $60 bucks you can change your own oil using all Ford recommended product and still have 2 qt's left over. That's only the cost of a fairly sober dinner out by yourself.

5.0GT

Threads
Reaction score
OEM motorcraft and Pennzoil Ultra (sn) 5w-20, imo the best over the counter oil there is.

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
I'm wondering what they changed not recommending 5w-50 for the PP? I'm assuming they just forgot to put it in the Manual lol w/ all the new added features and new EB engine i'm sure it got lost somewhere along the way. I'll probably use the initial ford blood til 1000 miles, change it out for some more ford blood then at 5k switch to full synthetic, then every 10k or earlier if necessary. Maybe that penn ultra as i've heard and seen good UOA's from it.

Dunno just depends on if they change the weights around on us. Will probably use amsoil 10w40 if they want 10w50 in the PP motors. Haven't seen a rotella t6 uoa for the 5.0 yet. But I would like to.

If it stays 5w20 I'll stick with that as long as there's not any issues or high oil temps with the way I drive. Which brings me to my question....how accurate do y'all think the digital oil temp gauge will be in the instrument cluster?

Sponsored

Swoope

Zoom-Freakin'-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
15 GTI PP / 04 Rx8 track car
If it stays 5w20 I'll stick with that as long as there's not any issues or high oil temps with the way I drive. Which brings me to my question....how accurate do y'all think the digital oil temp gauge will be in the instrument cluster?
i hope it is accurate. the whole 5w20 on the track makes me nervous.:thumbdown:

beers

5.0GT

Threads
Reaction score
I'm wondering what they changed not recommending 5w-50 for the PP? I'm assuming they just forgot to put it in the Manual lol w/ all the new added features and new EB engine i'm sure it got lost somewhere along the way. I'll probably use the initial ford blood til 1000 miles, change it out for some more ford blood then at 5k switch to full synthetic, then every 10k or earlier if necessary. Maybe that penn ultra as i've heard and seen good UOA's from it.

Dunno just depends on if they change the weights around on us. Will probably use amsoil 10w40 if they want 10w50 in the PP motors. Haven't seen a rotella t6 uoa for the 5.0 yet. But I would like to.

My 13's digital oil gauage seems to very consistent from start up to warm up to full op temp every day. Not worried about it and 5w20 in 100 degree heat (not tracking) works just fine. I listen to the engineers.

planedoc

Planedoc
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium, DIB, PP
Oil changes on this sucker are going to be expensive lol
Dirt cheap compared to a diesel! Cost me $135 to change oil and filter myself on my last 2 trucks....

Should be under $90 for a full synthetic change....

Don's Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500. 2018 C63S
On my 2011 I just bring it to the dealer, use semi synthetic motorcraft 5-20 and motorcraft filter
The price they charge with oil and filter is less than it costs me just to buy the oil at autozone. Plus if I have them do regular oil changes they can never say it didn't happen

Sponsored

B Gordon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
Yellow 2015 GT
Just a thought for you to keep in mind.

I used to work at a place that ran a fleet of mostly gas pickups with a few diesel pickups. They would put 200,000 miles on a truck before selling it.

They changed out the filter at half the mileage that the oil got changed out. For instance, if the oil change was every 5000 miles, the filter would get changed out every 2500 miles with an additional quart to top it back off to full.
They used conventional, not synthetic. Not sure what brand because it came in 55 gallon drums.

They had a machine about the size of a desk that was an oil test unit.
According to the test unit, the used oil stayed much cleaner when the filter was changed more often.

Because of that experience, I change my filter every 5000 miles with full synthetic and change the oil every 10000 miles.

Hashbrownn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cars, SUVs & trucks
8.5 qt is sweet. My Passat W8 takes 10 qt of full synthetic. I'll be glad to get away from $160 dollar oil changes, since my Ford dealer usually offer me 3 year service plan for free.

OP
OP
Free Agent

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
Just a thought for you to keep in mind.

I used to work at a place that ran a fleet of mostly gas pickups with a few diesel pickups. They would put 200,000 miles on a truck before selling it.

They changed out the filter at half the mileage that the oil got changed out. For instance, if the oil change was every 5000 miles, the filter would get changed out every 2500 miles with an additional quart to top it back off to full.
They used conventional, not synthetic. Not sure what brand because it came in 55 gallon drums.

They had a machine about the size of a desk that was an oil test unit.
According to the test unit, the used oil stayed much cleaner when the filter was changed more often.

Because of that experience, I change my filter every 5000 miles with full synthetic and change the oil every 10000 miles.
An interesting point, but if I'm going to take the time to put it up on ramps, pull the undercarriage shield and take off the filter I might as well swap the oil out of it at the same time rather that having to do it twice.

Laztug

Wanna run dyno slips bro?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Calling out OKC #1 spot after axle back install.
I am going to stick with what worked for me. I run Amsoil signature series 10-w30.
Changed out once per year. Amsoil suggests oil change intervals of once per year or 25k under normal use /15k under severe use.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
On my 350Z I've been using Mobil-1 10/30 with changes every 5000 miles or after every couple of track days. It's been working great for over 180,000 miles, so I don't plan on changing.

However, I do notice that at the track, when exiting after a session and the car is idling, the oil pressure will be extremely low.

Then, as I was following the C7 launch, I saw that GM recommends going to 15/50 oil for track use, which is much heavier than their standard recommendation.

I did not see such a recommendation in the 2015 Mustang manual, but using a 5/20 for the track seems sketchy given what I see with my Z.

Just curious what people do on their Mustangs when going to the track. Do you use a heavier weight oil, or stick with what is in the manual? I did notice some mention of a heavier recommended oil for the PP cars in previous years, so maybe that would be a good starting point for track use. How about the Boss 302? What oil did it recommend?

-T
Sponsored