Sponsored

New 5.0 Coyote oil type and mileage questions?

Swoope

Zoom-Freakin'-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
15 GTI PP / 04 Rx8 track car
On my 350Z I've been using Mobil-1 10/30 with changes every 5000 miles or after every couple of track days. It's been working great for over 180,000 miles, so I don't plan on changing.

However, I do notice that at the track, when exiting after a session and the car is idling, the oil pressure will be extremely low.

Then, as I was following the C7 launch, I saw that GM recommends going to 15/50 oil for track use, which is much heavier than their standard recommendation.

I did not see such a recommendation in the 2015 Mustang manual, but using a 5/20 for the track seems sketchy given what I see with my Z.

Just curious what people do on their Mustangs when going to the track. Do you use a heavier weight oil, or stick with what is in the manual? I did notice some mention of a heavier recommended oil for the PP cars in previous years, so maybe that would be a good starting point for track use. How about the Boss 302? What oil did it recommend?

-T
the rotary is a different beast, but the recommended was 5/30. all the track rx8 guys i know run 15/40 rotella. or 20/50 other brand. the rotella is something a rotary guru came up with. but works.. change oil after every track weekend.

this is what i have been doing since i have just been using car on track.

before that and the first ~60k miles it was 10/40 royal purple changed at 5k.

if i get a mustang will likely run 10/40 semi syn. and change at 5k or after every track weekend which ever comes first.

btw, i just found a shown in inventory the exact car i would order for track at my local dealer that i have been chatting with. fate?

beers
Sponsored

planedoc

Planedoc
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium, DIB, PP
Amsoil Signature Series 5w-20 for me. Every 3333 miles. 3x per 10k

Laztug

Wanna run dyno slips bro?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Calling out OKC #1 spot after axle back install.

Sponsored

planedoc

Planedoc
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
Well, it's my oil to waste isn't it?

Laztug

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sure is, it does not make it any less of a waste.

planedoc

Planedoc
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
You may like dirty oil in your engine, which is your prerogative. I like mine clean.
I am a professional mechanic for almost 40 years. Airplanes for the last 21, marine diesel before that. Rebuilt my first car V8 at 16. I have been inside many, many engines over the years, you can always tell a frequent oil changed engine from the neglected ones....

Laztug

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

planedoc

Planedoc
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
Dirtier than mine at 135,000. I just sold my Cummins diesel at 138k that didn't look like it had been run yet on the inside.

Sponsored

planedoc

Planedoc
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
I am not here to tell you how to maintain your engine pal, do as you wish. I am only saying what I do. Why should you care? Or am I making you feel inadequate?

Tim Hilliard

Happy Owner
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Guard 300A PP Recaro
I usually just change it when the light comes on. I come from an industry where weekly/monthly oil sampling is the norm, so I never get to excited about dumping out perfectly good oil unless TAN/TBN begins to drift or viscosity starts increasing. If you run hard on a track on a hot day you might see an elevated oxidation value and may want to change it. Most modern oils are pretty resilient and I don't see the point in subjecting my engine to any additional dry starts than required. Plus good oil is pricey.

Whiskey11

Kill ALL the Cones!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Base GT/PP
On my 350Z I've been using Mobil-1 10/30 with changes every 5000 miles or after every couple of track days. It's been working great for over 180,000 miles, so I don't plan on changing.

However, I do notice that at the track, when exiting after a session and the car is idling, the oil pressure will be extremely low.

Then, as I was following the C7 launch, I saw that GM recommends going to 15/50 oil for track use, which is much heavier than their standard recommendation.

I did not see such a recommendation in the 2015 Mustang manual, but using a 5/20 for the track seems sketchy given what I see with my Z.

Just curious what people do on their Mustangs when going to the track. Do you use a heavier weight oil, or stick with what is in the manual? I did notice some mention of a heavier recommended oil for the PP cars in previous years, so maybe that would be a good starting point for track use. How about the Boss 302? What oil did it recommend?

-T
The best person to ask this question to would be Terry Fair or any of the Vorshlag boys and girls since they have tracked the piss out of their 2011 5.0. I want to say they stuck with 5W20 or 5W30.

Us 3V guys... I run 5W30 in daily even though Ford recommends 5W20. I've seen the posts by one of the guys who worked on the 3V Modulars who swears that 5W20 is a surefire way to kill them as it is barely adequate. He recommended 5W30 as a minimum for a daily driven one. 10W30 or 10W40 for track days and pay attention to oil pressures and temps. Change frequently. Since I have neither an oil pressure gauge or temp gauge for oil or coolant beyond the factory idiot lamps, I stick with 5W30. I run the car hard but autocross isn't that hard on the motor compared to a track day.
Sponsored