Sponsored

New 2019 GT350R owner coming from a Porsche 911 - first impressions!

911GT350R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Shelby GT350R
Hi everyone, thought I would join the forum after selling my Porsche and becoming a new owner of a 2019 GT350R on the same day - New Years eve. I sold my Porsche privately and bought from a local Texas Ford dealer the same day which is arguable the best day of the year to negotiate with dealers. It is a fairly well equipped GT350R I believe but I honestly didn't do much research on the options...it was the Voodoo engine that seduced me!

I have owned several 911s over the years and was looking to offload my 991 due to the miles getting too high. I was originally looking to buy a newer 911 with low miles as in my opinion there are few cars that can match the 911 as a DD and also be awesome at the track. I loved the car and it was a blast to track. So...how did I end up with a Mustang? I started out looking at alternatives to the 911 for track use which wound me up at a dealership to take a GT350 for a test drive. It was a 2019 loaded model in black and they were asking $56k. However in the showroom they had a GT350R all gussied up with a red ribbon. Call me weak, but there was something about the red pinstripes, black roof and larger wing on the R that hit me as very attractive. I guess I was smitten at first sight:-) But then I sat in the recaro seats and was completely turned off as they were way too narrow for my wide butt. Plus it didn't have a back seat so that was a downer because I have two boys. So I drove the black GT350 and went home to sleep on it. A then did a lot of research and decided that even though the Recaro seats were too narrow for my wide butt I could always resell the car for a small loss (if I managed to get an even better deal) or just swap the seats out.

So I texted the dealership if they could negotiate more on the R price but they said it was already at its rock bottom price ($3500 off MSRP).

Then on New Years Eve they called me and took another $3000 off MSRP. I countered (because my wife said I would hate the seats and regret the decision on the drive home from the dealership). Pfft. Women...what do they know???!! Actually she is 99.9% right about most things:-) But the seats were killing me so I asked for an even better deal. We eventually agreed to $66,000 even which I think was a pretty good price. Yesterday I went to pick it up and they told me I had better take it for a test drive before signing on the bottom line. And then mysteriously all my worries and concerns about the Recaro seats evaporated as I hooned around a few tight twisties near the dealership.

I then had a 80 mile drive home and let me tell you...MY WIFE WAS WRONG lol. I LOVE THIS CAR!!! I have no regrets and it is WAY more fun to drive than my Porsche. I am sold on this incredible vehicle and if anyone else reads this and you can afford it and are wondering about the R...just do it. You will not regret it. I watched a LOT of reviews about the GT350/R beforehand and I was almost turned off from buying one. But now, after several drives (only been two days) I don't think I have stopped smiling.

So that is my long winded story. First post and hope to contribute more as time goes on. If you have read this far, thanks for listening...happy New Year to all.

2019 Shelby Mustang GT350R.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

GT30fan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2015 F350 4x4, 2019 GT350 , work trucks
A loaded 19' new GT350 for 56 is a killer deal as well. I thought I did good at 58,300, I've nice options but no painted roof and no Handling Pack. That dealer was doing a fire sale

OP
OP

911GT350R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A loaded 19' new GT350 for 56 is a killer deal as well. I thought I did good at 58,300, I've nice options but no painted roof and no Handling Pack. That dealer was doing a fire sale
Yes I agree...fire sale indeed. I think now is the right time for people to snap up '19s and not be afraid to negotiate.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Welcome and congrats.

Sponsored

dom418

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(2) 20 HEP-R, 20 Velocity Blue 350R, 20 Lime 350R
Congratulations she’s beautiful and what a deal

OP
OP

911GT350R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Another joins the broth-R-hood. Welcome.
lol. Curious to know how big/small the brothRhood is?Anyone know the build ratios per year?

Sponsored

Johnnyracer222

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP 6 speed
Beautiful car! I am also a previous 911 driver (a bit older than your Porsche tho) and now am back in a Mustang where I feel at home.

Congrats! Enjoy!

dewmsEleanor

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Not an R owner, but I've got a non-R I'm slowly Frankenstein-ing into one! Anyways, welcome and have fun, this car is amazing!

sublime1996525

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Awesome story and welcome! I'm actually looking at picking up a 991 for a DD. Keeping the GT350 for a weekend/track car.

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Not sure how wide your "wide butt" is, but I can tell you that I am a 38" waist and I fit fine in mine, but I had to ditch the George Costanza wallet and either keep it in the center console or switch to a skinnier form factor wallet. I ended up doing the latter after a few months and I fit just fine now.
Sponsored