Sponsored

New 2018 Coyote 5.0 Engine...

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
What do we know..?

• New and revised Coyote 5.0-liter V8 with dual-fuel, high-pressure direct injection and low-pressure port fuel injection delivers robust low-end torque, high-rpm power, and improved fuel efficiency.

• Mustang chief engineer Carl Widmann states that the only truly carryover piece from the current 5.0-liter is the crankshaft.

I am really interested in learning more about what went into developing this twin-injected engine & the engineering. We all know a DI version of the 5.0 would be great (aside from the residue DI leaves), but this being a dual fuel injected engine it should not have that inherent problem.

The 5.0 power plant is getting really efficient with this new level of engineering. I expect fuel savings & higher power.

The engine sounds like a win/win.
Specially when couples to the new dual-clutch, or new 10-spd auto.
Sponsored

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Not quite sure how much it will help in terms of mpg. Most sources say 15% gain, so even on the current GT's 16/25 its only about a 2.5/3.75 mpg gain. Not a dramatic increase there.

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
Ford must really be taking performance seriously to replace every piece in the 5.0 engine except the crank.

OP
OP
w3rkn

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Not quite sure how much it will help in terms of mpg. Most sources say 15% gain, so even on the current GT's 16/25 its only about a 2.5/3.75 mpg gain. Not a dramatic increase there.

But that gain in MPG is also couple with more horsepower.

What will be more interesting is the actual powerband and tq plots.

Sponsored

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
The new GT engine will have 455HP, and the GT500 will have 755HP.
More than 455 and there is not going to be a GT500 for this chassis. :cheers:

flaps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 WRX
What do we know..?

• New and revised Coyote 5.0-liter V8 with dual-fuel, high-pressure direct injection and low-pressure port fuel injection delivers robust low-end torque, high-rpm power, and improved fuel efficiency.

• Mustang chief engineer Carl Widmann states that the only truly carryover piece from the current 5.0-liter is the crankshaft.

I am really interested in learning more about what went into developing this twin-injected engine & the engineering. We all know a DI version of the 5.0 would be great (aside from the residue DI leaves), but this being a dual fuel injected engine it should not have that inherent problem.

The 5.0 power plant is getting really efficient with this new level of engineering. I expect fuel savings & higher power.

The engine sounds like a win/win.
Specially when couples to the new dual-clutch, or new 10-spd auto.
It also uses PTWA cylinder liners instead of iron.

Boostnonu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt
And with direct injection you get heavy carbon build up. And that will lead to knock! Good job ford. Another service we have to pay for.

Sponsored

350Mike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1967 C10 2021 GT PP M6
You'll see......
It's has both injector types to prevent that. Besides do you even have a clue how many Ecoboost have been built with only direct injection? Let's just say over one million direct injected engines per year. If it was so bad, they wouldn't continue making it or that many. Their engines are actually some of the most reliable in the industry.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
What do we know..?
I'm hoping Ford will provide a complete technical break down nearer production. Perhaps when the first press test drives are scheduled.

I'm expecting good, but modest, gains in terms of both HP/TQ and MPG. This revised Coyote will surely be going into the S650, so they'll leave some improvements on the table for '21MY.

:)