Sponsored

New 2018 Coyote 5.0 Engine...

MadCow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
That is a good point, I didn't consider that as I was focusing on just the mustangs recent lineage. 04 to 05 new v8 engine, 10 to 11 new v8 engine. Kinda figured the next Gen would get a new engine based off that since the s550 did not.
"New" is relative I suppose. The 05 motors got 3V heads but other than the heads and upper end to go with them the motors were the same as the previous 2V motors. Pistons may have been different for clearance. The 4V went from B heads to C heads and had a few thread and coolant revisions. Shorts blocks all stayed pretty much the same with the exception of the 03-04 Cobra rods and pistons and manual trans 4Vs got forged cranks. The 5.4 pretty much followed the same path with the GT and GT500 getting different rods and aluminum blocks in some years but everything else was pretty much the same. Even though the GT had the 5.4 like other Ford products they didn't share any parts except the crankshaft and maybe some minor parts like bearings or something. But they were still the same platform. Even the coyote shows a lot of mod motor roots. Its more of a drastic evolution of the modular motor and the voodoo a minor evolution of that. I consider the 6.2 a completely "new" clean sheet design engine. I'm not disagreeing, just putting things into perspective.
Sponsored

OP
OP
w3rkn

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Anyone have a pic of the Voodoo & Coyote blocks side-by-side..?

Ctease

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Coyote is open
Voodoo has cast-in reinforcement
Aftermarket prepared block has machined and pressed-in bracket.

The reinforcements strengthen cylinder wall and improve gasket sealing.

Also, Voodoo has more material at the base of the cylinder walls. You can't see it.

Sorry don't have side-by-side pictures.
IMG_0070.JPG
IMG_0071.JPG
IMG_0072.JPG

Ctease

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
'18 coyote block has provisions for 4 knock sensors. Voodoo & Coyote only 2.

Also like stated many times before, PTWA bores. PTWA spray is thinner than conventional liner. Resulting in slightly larger bore. They were resigning pistons anyway.

I don't know if '18 coyote will receive Voodoo cylinder reinforcements. But I don't think it cost more to throw them in a new design. New engine's higher torque output probably require the reinforcements.

Edit: just saw this pic. Looks like the cast-in reinforcement from Voodoo was added to '18. You can see it under the DI.
IMG_0073.JPG

Last edited:

ZanarkO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2000 C5, 2006 Eclipse GT, 2003 Evo 8
So are they going to redesign the engine yet again in 2020 with the new chassis? Honestly 465hp is plenty for a 28K car lol. And you guys keep mentioning "beating" the camaro, the camaro its literally like 6 grand more and the mustang outsells it every single time and the camaro has ALWAYS been faster. (2010 and down)

Sponsored

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
So are they going to redesign the engine yet again in 2020 with the new chassis? Honestly 465hp is plenty for a 28K car lol. And you guys keep mentioning "beating" the camaro, the camaro its literally like 6 grand more and the mustang outsells it every single time and the camaro has ALWAYS been faster. (2010 and down)
It's not just about having more power than other cars but it makes no sense to do all this and gain little to no power. The expected power increase puts it above the Camaro so it works out in that regards though. Does Ford have to make these improvements? Depends on who you ask.

It might see minor changes in 2020 but a new engine or another list of big changes are not going to happen, maybe something like the jump from the 14 to 15 at the most. Could see the 5.0 all the way until the 8th gen at least. If there is ever a GT500 that could give some insight into the future of the V8.

Ctease

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I think the original plan was introduce S650 in 2023 MY. It was going to be a small lightweight, 1995 Acura Integra sized car. Similar to Fox body was almost replaced by Ford Probe. It would've probably had 1.5 turbo, 2.3 turbo and 3.0 v6 turbo. With only high dollar special edition downsized V8 models as a token.

With Camaro "only" downsizing 200lbs and keeping V8, Dodge showing no sign of slowing down and popularity of S550. S650 moved to 2021MY as a lightweight version of S550 sized traditional V8. There's no need to push V8 out of the Mustang & F150 line-up so they updated it. They were going to DI, displacement downsize and push small +10 hp & tq but Camaro 1LE so 5.0 displacement was kept focusing on torque gains. This Coyote hardware update will most likely last past 2021MY S650 introduction. Small things like intake, intake manifolds, exhaust, tuning might get updates. 2022 or 2023 S650 will probably get some type of variable cam lift technology and displacement downsizing unless plans change again.

I think competition between manufactures motivates workers all the way up to CEOs. Plus, molds and die have fixed life cycles. More cars you sell the faster the molds and dies wear out and sooner you can redesign. That's why Honda Civics are completely redesigned every 4yrs.
Sponsored