Sponsored

Name that sound !

TGGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Car started doing this about a week ago. I’m hoping it’s something to do with the timing chains or the cam actuators, but I’ve got a messed up feeling That I’ll be putting an engine in it.

Sponsored

IrishStallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 gt mustang
Does not sound good Bud. How many miles have you been on boost?

OP
OP
TGGT

TGGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Here is a clip of The noise from a different angle. It’s definitely upfront, which has me thinking it could be something with the timing components, also I did a compression test which came out good, so I don’t think it’s a broken ring land.

FastCarFanBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GB GT
in 35years under the hood I've never heard anything like that, definitely not bottom end.

Sponsored

OP
OP
TGGT

TGGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
I hope you find the problem and report back...for science
Oh I’ll find out what it is. Probably some time next week. I preemptively ordered timing cover gaskets, valve cover gaskets, and timing chain tensioners. I’m super busy fixing everyone else’s cars all week, but I’m going to try to find some time for mine as soon as those Parts show up. In the back of my mind I’m wondering if it has something to do with the pc stg 2 crank pulley. Probably not, but the thought is there. I pulled the blower and accessory belts off last week and the blower pulley was tight and the noise was still present with both belts removed, so that kind of rules out anything with the blower or accessories.

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Those squirrels sound pissed.

Post start and 2.8k throttle blip clip w all belts off?
No AC belt
No serpentine
No FI/SC

sounds like a bad roller bearing(not hydraulic cam/crank/rod) where a chip cycles in/out of the bearing race. Thinner metal area attached giving that scratchy ringing sound.
Metal idler pulley?
AC clutch dragging?
Alternator bearing?
Bad cam phaser gone dry?

get a 3-4 foot piece of pvc pipe like 1/2-1” and aim it around to try localize noise.
Semi stiff PVC airhose pieces work great and slightly safer

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
I'm with sigintel on this one, with the comment that the noise starts and stops like a switch is turned on and off. That suggests the AC compressor. Its the only thing that cycles at idle. Shut the climate control off and try again. If no noise at all, then put the AC on full blast, highest fan setting and no recirculation, windows open. If the noise doesn't cycle like in your videos, then you have your answer.

Sponsored
OP
OP
TGGT

TGGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
I'm with sigintel on this one, with the comment that the noise starts and stops like a switch is turned on and off. That suggests the AC compressor. Its the only thing that cycles at idle. Shut the climate control off and try again. If no noise at all, then put the AC on full blast, highest fan setting and no recirculation, windows open. If the noise doesn't cycle like in your videos, then you have your answer.
Tried all that. Pulled both belts off. Still have the noise. It’s none of the accessories or the blower

Mantis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Manual trans? Bet the clutch is falling apart and rattling in the bell housing

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Limp bendix dragging starter on flywheel?
(Not pulled out/disengaged so dragging)

damn it.... suspense is killing me. I must have mental health issue, figuring shit like this is addictive.

Beano

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phillip
Vehicle(s)
FGX XR8 and 2016 Mustang GT, Both supercharged
It sounds like an alternator or idler /tensioner bearing or something such.
Sponsored