OP

dave95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
dave
Vehicle(s)
2021 mustang gt
There's quite a few E85 stations in Mass, if you have a place to store it you can certainly stock up and use as needed with the aforementioned flex or set of tunes.

Although it depends on your usage of course. My buddy does this and only uses it when he goes to the track, so it makes sense. If you were to run it daily then maybe not.
Yeah I mean I have Logan airport that apparently has it like 25 mins away from me so I could in theory store it but Idk if tuning for it and what not is worth the money if it’s something I’d only get to use occasionally since it costs so much to run it with how poorly mileage is on it, and I don’t hit the drag strip often enough to have a good excuse to ever use it
Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
since it costs so much to run it with how poorly mileage is on it
It shouldn't be much more than 93 since it's usually alot cheaper to offset the lower mileage you get. But it doesn't make much sense for a daily that you drive alot.

If you're going to get a tune, get a flex tune that way you can freely switch between E10 93 and E85 based on your needs.

OP
OP

dave95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
dave
Vehicle(s)
2021 mustang gt
It shouldn't be much more than 93 since it's usually alot cheaper to offset the lower mileage you get. But it doesn't make much sense for a daily that you drive alot.

If you're going to get a tune, get a flex tune that way you can freely switch between E10 93 and E85 based on your needs.
Is E85 cheaper than 93? I figured it was more

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
Is E85 cheaper than 93? I figured it was more
Regular 87 was $3.69 this morning by me, 93 was $4.59, and E85 is $2.69.

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
media-1637183580826-Nov_16_2021_17_44.jpg

2.73 a gallon, car is filled up along with four 5 gallon cans I have. Thought about going and getting some 50 gallon drums; never seen it test this high. Did it twice to confirm, car sensor also verified it.

Sponsored

mangosmoothie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Vehicle(s)
2019 Boolet
intake headers and intake mani work (home port job) might see 450whp on 93. You might get to 475ish with a gt350/cj/boss intake mani and corresponding larger tb

I'd save up and boost it. I frequently go 5000 feet altitude down to sea level. The 15% power "gain" I get going to sea level isn't a night and day difference... Once I go back up to altitude I can tell it's down a little but I wouldn't spend $3k to make up that difference. Just boost it and don't look back

OP
OP

dave95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
dave
Vehicle(s)
2021 mustang gt
Regular 87 was $3.69 this morning by me, 93 was $4.59, and E85 is $2.69.
Oh no shit E85 is that cheap? That kind of offsets the mileage then for sure , if it was local I’d consider running it pretty often then and the idea of storing large amounts would be tough I don’t have a lot of room to store anything

331GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
1995 DFG GT vert, 2019 Oxford White GT PP1
Oh no shit E85 is that cheap? That kind of offsets the mileage then for sure , if it was local I’d consider running it pretty often then and the idea of storing large amounts would be tough I don’t have a lot of room to store anything
check out your area first, i see you're in Boston. I am in chicagoland, during summer i found it for $2.20 ish. the gas station i went to most frequently was in the $2.30's until a month or two ago. it gradually rose to about $2.70 and then basically overnight went to $3.30. at that point i went back to using 93. i was planning on switching back to 93 anyways but that was the final point. see if you can find out what E85 generally costs during the summer when youll use it, rather than right now. flex tuner is nice though. i have a livernois mycalibrator with a 91 and up tune and a flex tune, so if there are varying percentages of E it will adjust accordingly. not sure how the other tuners work but i'd imagine most are very similar and also have flex tunes.

OP
OP

dave95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
dave
Vehicle(s)
2021 mustang gt
check out your area first, i see you're in Boston. I am in chicagoland, during summer i found it for $2.20 ish. the gas station i went to most frequently was in the $2.30's until a month or two ago. it gradually rose to about $2.70 and then basically overnight went to $3.30. at that point i went back to using 93. i was planning on switching back to 93 anyways but that was the final point. see if you can find out what E85 generally costs during the summer when youll use it, rather than right now. flex tuner is nice though. i have a livernois mycalibrator with a 91 and up tune and a flex tune, so if there are varying percentages of E it will adjust accordingly. not sure how the other tuners work but i'd imagine most are very similar and also have flex tunes.
I’ve never used E85 and any Ethanol percentage , so your saying on a flex tune it can read the percent of ethanol that’s in the car mixed with gas and run accordingly for it?

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I’ve never used E85 and any Ethanol percentage , so your saying on a flex tune it can read the percent of ethanol that’s in the car mixed with gas and run accordingly for it?
Yep, you sure can. I run on my flex tune the majority of the time. On my drive to Florida from Kansas City, I started out on a full tank of E85 with the intention of trying to run it all the way to Florida. Well, finding stations that sold E85 kept taking me several miles off the beaten path and it was adding time to my trip. After getting E85 twice, I stopped hunting and started putting 93 octane fuel in. I finished the trip on 93 octane fuel. Just pumped it in and kept driving. Flex tune is great!

Sponsored

TEXAS HEAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 A10
Since you do not have e85 readily available to you then I would definitely save for the SC. It would be a different story if it were because, it is relatively inexpensive to get a tune for e85 and with no other modifications run mid 11's on a tire at full weight.

There is no other single modification you can make to your car that will make that big of a difference N/A. I went from 12.15@116mph to 11.56@121mph with a tune, e85 and a tire... after that it gets expensive to play the N/A game because the CJ intake really doesn't shine on a Gen3 without cams and that cost even more money.

CJ Set-Up- $1000 manifold, $800 throttle body, $350-$400 for a cold air intake = $2200
Comp Cams Stage 2 - $1700 plus install ($1000) = $2700

That's almost $5000 to hopefully get it in the 10's full weight, or you can go with a centrifugal supercharger for another $1500, and run mid 10's at full weight on 100 octane race gas or a $20 can of Boostane and 93.

The power delivery of the centrifugal and the A10's close ratio gear's are a match made in heaven.

Ultimately, if your location does not have e85 that is consistent and readily available, you're better off saving for the SC. "Any supercharger" running 8-10psi on 93 is faster than most FBO N/A set up's unless they're gutted, running cams and CJ intake.

Dollar per horsepower the SC wins hand's down. It all depends on your goals for the car, but be honest with yourself, you're always going to want more.

Last edited:

MKL_DS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
I’ve gone from a best of 12.30 at 116 stock to a best of 11.78 @ 119.5 with just a 93 tune. No bolt ons, stock MPS4s. There’s certainly more in it with some well chosen bolt ons.
OP, you never really stated a goal. Do you have an ET goal or just looking to chase dyno numbers?

Red5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 mustang gt race red non pp
Just buy a blower and be done. Max effort n/a gains about 100whp on e85 plus need weight reduction , blower you gain 150-200whp on 93 at full weight will be faster than the n/a setup and you can turn it up even more the limiting factor would be fuel.

Last edited:

SSG 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Stop messing around and get a supercharger along with sticky tires.

jwt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
Read the ESS thread then figure out how long to save up :)
Sponsored