Sponsored

chowman90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
@chowman90 Wow! Very clean-looking and I love those LED floor supports! What a great idea. You kill two birds with one stone; floor supports and LED lighting. Would be interested in knowing more about them.; how are they mounted and the LED lights themselves.

I actually thought about installing some LED-strip lighting around the amp rack, but just got burnt out on the install process. It was 95+degrees every day in the garage during the install and it took me longer than I thought it would. The LEDs will have to wait. LOL!

I still haven't gotten around to tuning the system. Work picked up big-time shortly after I finished the install, so I've just been running it as-is. Good timing, I guess, that I finished it right before I wound up having very little spare time again.

I'm very happy with amplification I choose; more power than I'll ever need and the Morel components sound great, but the mids can be grating on certain songs. I'm just living with that part until I can get around to tuning.

It took more than a month but I finally got my hands on a 12W6d3-D4 sub. I sat on Crutchfield's waiting list for a while before deciding to just pay $20 more and get it somewhere else. The sub and the Precision Port are sitting in the garage, waiting for me. I've got my box design done. 2.0cf net, with a 4" Precision Port. Tuned at 30Hz and WinISD shows ruler-flat down to 40Hz. Should be a nice sounding box.
Thanks for the compliment. The stand-offs are acrylic. 1 3/4" I think. Just parted them off on a lathe. Drilled and tapped. The were bolted from the bottom. I drilled a hole through the board and then a second hole to accommodate the 5mm led. Question..is your box a ported one?

OP
OP
mikes2017gt

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
@chowman90 Thanks for the details on your support columns. Cool stuff.

The new box for the JL 12W6 will be ported...once I build it. LOL! Right now the sub is sitting in the garage, waiting for me to have time to build the box for it. I currently have the StealthBox and it's definitely good enough for now, until I have time to tune the system. I really want the thump of a ported box though.

Some WinISD screen grabs from my box design for the 12W6. These are all with input power of 600w.
1606227637722.png

The port velocity around 33Hz looks a little high, but the combination of the flared Precision Port and the box being in the trunk, I won't hear any port noise from the driver's seat.
1606227698977.png

Transfer function - nice and smooth, no peaks. Should be a nice-sounding box.
1606227741943.png

chowman90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Wow! You really know your stuff. Thats way beyond me lol. Have you been building systems before? Or is this like a hobby?

OP
OP
mikes2017gt

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
Well, I know some stuff, but I'm no real smart guy like Cathul and several other folks on this forum.

I've been into car audio since the early 1990's. Been building sub boxes for myself and others since then. I even started selling them back around 2004, but people kept blowing their subs from too much power or screwing with the filters and EQ and blaming my box, so I stopped selling them.

I've also built my own subs and mains for my home theater setup. I didn't design the mains...just built them from plans. The subs, I designed myself since they are easy compared to trying to figure out crossover points etc for a mishmash of midbass and horn drivers. That's way above my head. Subs need a bandpass filter and off you go. :beer:

These are 16cf net each (whole lot of bracing), ported and tuned to 12Hz. The drivers are Dayton UM-18s. https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-um18-22-18-ultimax-dvc-subwoofer-2-ohms-per-coil--295-518

The boxes weigh about 400 pounds each. The entire baffle is solid 1.5" MDF. These are utterly ridiculous and I'll never build boxes this big again. The theater is still a work in progress, but the subs are total overkill. :D

IMG_20170101_220207417_HDR (Large).jpg

Frequency response. They play subsonic, no problem.

MIB 12hz spl.jpg

Port at top of cab.
cabline1.jpg

IMG_20170104_214646782_HDR (Large).jpg

IMG_20170113_221251006 (Large).jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

chowman90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Those are some nice boxes! Wish I would have known you back then. Would have definitely got you to make me one! And I wouldn't have blamed you if I blew something up haha. Do you mind if sometime I can pick your brain on a box setup for me ? Haven't tuned anything yet. Haven't even gotten into the software of the dayton dsp. Still thinking of replacing it with the jl dsp. Have to see how it all works out when I get time to tinker with it

OP
OP
mikes2017gt

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
Sure thing, I'd be happy to help. Sub-bass in a car can be tricky due to cabin gain, trunks sealed off from the passenger compartment, etc, but I've typically found that a decent driver in the right box with the appropriate power makes most folks (including me) happy.

SO MANY people buy some random sub and stick it in a pre-made box and wonder why it sounds like poo. It doesn't work that way. At minimum it needs to be a "spec box" per the manufacturer's recommendation. That will get you most of the way there. After that it's just optimizing things like making the box bigger, changing port size, etc.

Once I start building my ported box for the 12W6 I'll be posting here. It's just going to be a basic ported box with a slanted back to utilize all the space behind the back seat. Box will be as shallow as I can get away with as I don't want to lose much trunk space. Most probably driver will fire backwards, towards the tail lights with the port on the side of the box.

I do want to build a nice trim panel for it, ala all the cool stuff Mark from CAF does. That's semi-new territory for me. I'm a good physcial/electrical installer, but not really good with making it all LOOK nice.

chowman90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Keep me posted. Maybe I'll pay you to make a duplicate lol 😆

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Keep me posted. Maybe I'll pay you to make a duplicate lol 😆
@mikes2017gt Maybe you can make a bit of extra coin on here? Also consider just selling a kit with all the panels precut and ready to assemble. I would consider one. I still have done nothing to build my sub box. Zenclosures won't ship to Canada and I'm too lazy to haul my POS table saw out in this cold weather to work on it.

chowman90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
@mikes2017gt Maybe you can make a bit of extra coin on here? Also consider just selling a kit with all the panels precut and ready to assemble. I would consider one. I still have done nothing to build my sub box. Zenclosures won't ship to Canada and I'm too lazy to haul my POS table saw out in this cold weather to work on it.

Hey Stangtime, I have a Zenclosures as well, your thoughts?

Sponsored
OP
OP
mikes2017gt

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
Thanks guys, I'm flattered. If someone is local or willing to drive to pick it up in south Texas, I'd probably be onboard, but I can't do shipping. The shipping cost would make it bad for everyone. I've looked into this in the past.

As I'm not a business address with a loading dock (I'm considered Residential b/c I am :) ) I don't get any kind of good deal shipping rates from FEDEX or UPS. Also, shipping MDF, you've got to wrap it really well. Corner protectors and all that mess. That stuff costs money. So it's either the buyer pays through the nose or I make no money.

It's unfortunate, but it's the truth. :(

BadHabit2Break

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT350
Thanks guys, I'm flattered. If someone is local or willing to drive to pick it up in south Texas, I'd probably be onboard, but I can't do shipping. The shipping cost would make it bad for everyone. I've looked into this in the past.

As I'm not a business address with a loading dock (I'm considered Residential b/c I am :) ) I don't get any kind of good deal shipping rates from FEDEX or UPS. Also, shipping MDF, you've got to wrap it really well. Corner protectors and all that mess. That stuff costs money. So it's either the buyer pays through the nose or I make no money.

It's unfortunate, but it's the truth. :(
I am in Houston, depending on how much you charge. I have a Focal K2 12" sub.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
@Cathul Very nice! Did you model this in WinISD? What driver? How much does it weigh? Looks like a beast!

I was tempted to buy this box: https://www.jlaudio.com/products/ho112rg-w3v3-car-audio-h-o-wedge-subwoofer-systems-93136
Looks nice, price isn't too bad and is known to fit in the S550 with a slight tweak to those metal tabs on the rear cross brace.
Then I modeled it in WinISD using the specs that JL gives for a ported box. I compared it to a sealed box using a pair of JL 10W0v3-4 drivers (which I purchased on sale) then changed my mind about the pre-fab ported box when I compared the SPL plot (red is 12" ported box and blue is 2 sealed 10's):
Subwoofer Compare.PNG

The 12" ported box will play a little deeper but the dual sealed 10's will play louder. With a little EQ the 10's can dig as deep as the single ported 12".
Sponsored