Sponsored

"Mustang Mach E" Confirmed, Reservations Begin Immediately After Nov 17 Live-Streamed Reveal

How will Ford naming it's new electric SUV "Mustang Mach E" impact your future purchase decisions.

• Much more likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 49 12.5%
  • Slightly more likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • No change

Votes: 219 55.9%
  • Slightly less likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 55 14.0%
  • Much less likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 63 16.1%

• Total voters

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Ford didn't dilute the name of the Mustang either. There is the Mustang, Mustang Mach1, Mustang GT350 and Mustang Mach E. I really don't understand the telephone sized stick up people's asses about this.
In the background, the threat now exists that the name 'Mustang' could completely lose its long-running meaning. Will you be happy at some future time when some kid looks at your GT350 and tries to tell you that that car isn't a real Mustang? His perception is going to be his reality.

Norm
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Its a Karen Mobile faster than either of your rides...
Lots of cars are faster than either of the cars I own today, or have ever owned in the past. Doesn't matter, as I'm totally fine with driving less powerful cars to their limits. Driving to me isn't just about the car's bragging rights; it's more about me getting as much as I can out of the available performance. Maybe think SCCA's Production Category racing here.

Your faster 'E' transportation appliance is still an appliance, and at least for me the 'faster' part doesn't even begin to compensate for what I'd be giving up to get it. Just a bad fit all around. Maybe if I explain to you that I want the same level of involvement when driving any car I might own is comparable to what you want from your GT350, you might be able to better see where I'm coming from.

SUVs, whether ICE or EV, need not apply.

Norm

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
I'm not the only one who I know that won't be buying another Ford due to this. My list of reasons:
1. This badge exercise debacle - shows a complete lack of focus on product and only on marketing
2. The lots of things that broke on my S550 that should never break
3. I've seen both the sausage recipe and how the sausage is made there....no thanks

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
All of those other mfrs at least had the good sense to not associate their SUVs/CUVs with their sports cars and halo models. Obviously Porsche didn't need to borrow any naming help from their 911 series. Ford should have paid closer attention to that part of the story.

Norm
You are assuming that the 'Mustang' brand is wrong or not working, but if they are selling more cars as a result of calling it a Mustang rather than a Ford, then it is.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
You are assuming that the 'Mustang' brand is wrong or not working, but if they are selling more cars as a result of calling it a Mustang rather than a Ford, then it is.
It's the wrong 'brand' for an SUV, and SUVs aren't cars. No matter what common usage may suggest.

It's kind of like stealing the 'F' and '50' digits from the truck line in the hopes of boosting Fusion sales.

Norm

Sponsored

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Other manufactures are not Ford and few of them have a name plate like the Mustang or Bronco. As for Porsche, all they did was electrify the Taycan. They didn't develop a new vehicle.
The Taycan is a completely new platform and car, not related to any other Porsche model. It was designed from the ground up as an EV. The thing Porsche did which upset everybody was build SUV's (Cayenne and Macan) back in the 1990's / 2000's and the aficionado spat the dummy. As it was they sell more of the SUV's than everything else put together and it saved the brand allowing them to carry on making the 911 and Boxster.

Lamborghini, Aston Martin, Bentley, Rolls Royce even Ferrari and Lotus are leveraging the brand by building SUV's

Mustang means something globally - Bronco is meaningless outside the US. Ford is a weak brand name in Europe and non-existent in many others. China is Ford's biggest EV market!

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
It's the wrong 'brand' for an SUV, and SUVs aren't cars. No matter what common usage may suggest.

It's kind of like stealing the 'F' and '50' digits from the truck line in the hopes of boosting Fusion sales.

Norm
I think lines are blurred now. We have a Ford Puma over here which is almost identically sized to the Mk1 Focus which was a 'car' and yet the Puma is an SUV.

We have an ST-line version of most of our European Ford's - they are not ST's

Audi have S-Line badging, Mercedes AMG-Line, BMW stick 'M's everywhere.

It's all marketing and it sells cars / SUV's whatever you want to call them. The Mustang isn't a car outside the US it is a brand. DS is a brand now, and Citroen aficionados get upset about that, because of the legendary Citroen DS.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
I'm not the only one who I know that won't be buying another Ford due to this. My list of reasons:
1. This badge exercise debacle - shows a complete lack of focus on product and only on marketing
2. The lots of things that broke on my S550 that should never break
3. I've seen both the sausage recipe and how the sausage is made there....no thanks
Not sure about the others but 1 has ALWAYS been the case. Marketing sells cars.

Sponsored

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
Not sure about the others but 1 has ALWAYS been the case. Marketing sells cars.
Some brands supplement their great products with marketing, some attempt to sustain their businesses with marketing while not having the product to back it up.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
I have a performance car for doing performance car things. I have an SUV for doing SUV things. A tool for every job. What I don’t have, or want is a pickup truck. Don’t need, don’t want. But I know I’m in the minority there. I don’t go around saying that pickup trucks shouldn’t exist, just because I personally have no use for one.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
I have no idea what the hype is all about. Just another Ever ready battery needing to be charged before use. Yuck But, to each their own
image.gif

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Seen a few in the wild now and not impressed. I actually think it looks better in pictures. Hope all who buy one enjoys it though.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Ford didn't dilute the name of the Mustang either. There is the Mustang, Mustang Mach1, Mustang GT350 and Mustang Mach E. I really don't understand the telephone sized stick up people's asses about this.
If you lined them all up next to each other (all the same model year) and asked anyone on the street (even people not familiar with Mustangs) which one doesn't fit in the group per the way it looks, guess which one they would pick.
Sponsored