Sponsored

"Mustang Mach E" Confirmed, Reservations Begin Immediately After Nov 17 Live-Streamed Reveal

How will Ford naming it's new electric SUV "Mustang Mach E" impact your future purchase decisions.

• Much more likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 49 12.5%
  • Slightly more likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • No change

Votes: 219 55.9%
  • Slightly less likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 55 14.0%
  • Much less likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 63 16.1%

• Total voters

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
This thread’s been too quiet. Here’s a little gasoline for the bbq grill...

Ford has produced more Mach E than ICE Mustangs this year

Now, in fairness, some of this is due to the chip shortage, but even so, Ford has prioritized building Mach E over Mustang. Not unusual since Mach E is a new launch product and that is very important for the company.
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
This thread’s been too quiet. Here’s a little gasoline for the bbq grill...

Ford has produced more Mach E than ICE Mustangs this year

Now, in fairness, some of this is due to the chip shortage, but even so, Ford has prioritized building Mach E over Mustang. Not unusual since Mach E is a new launch product and that is very important for the company.
From that article . . . " The real story is that, perhaps unsurprisingly, there is a bigger market for a compelling electric family crossover than there is for a rear-wheel-drive sports car. ".

Which still tells me that the E would be a success without the Mustang tag. SUV/CUV customers aren't going to be looking for ponycar attributes.

Norm

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
From that article . . . " The real story is that, perhaps unsurprisingly, there is a bigger market for a compelling electric family crossover than there is for a rear-wheel-drive sports car. ".

Which still tells me that the E would be a success without the Mustang tag. SUV/CUV customers aren't going to be looking for ponycar attributes.

Norm
Your right. In my area you see more Mach E's than Mustangs now.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV

Norm
The 'Ford' brand means different things in different countries. The Mustang brand is distinctly more aspirational outside the US.

I don't think it is a surprise that an SUV is outselling a coupe, it is what kept Porsche alive and no surprise that most sports car makers have an SUV in their range to keep the money rolling in.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
The 'Ford' brand means different things in different countries. The Mustang brand is distinctly more aspirational outside the US.

I don't think it is a surprise that an SUV is outselling a coupe, it is what kept Porsche alive and no surprise that most sports car makers have an SUV in their range to keep the money rolling in.
All of those other mfrs at least had the good sense to not associate their SUVs/CUVs with their sports cars and halo models. Obviously Porsche didn't need to borrow any naming help from their 911 series. Ford should have paid closer attention to that part of the story.

Norm

Sponsored

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
All of those other mfrs at least had the good sense to not associate their SUVs/CUVs with their sports cars and halo models. Obviously Porsche didn't need to borrow any naming help from their 911 series. Ford should have paid closer attention to that part of the story.

Norm
Amen.
Ford knew they had a special car with the Mach E (which it is) but they also knew they needed to do something drastic to get the desired level of attention to meet sales goals. Well it worked alright, but now a part of me will forever be disappointed in Ford and certainly confrontational with anyone who calls it a Mustang.

EvilMerlin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
201 GT350 - Lead Foot Grey with Black stripes.
I love all the people STILL complaining about the name.
I'm glad I have my reservation for the GT Performance (Grabber Blue, painted black roof, which should be here in August/September barring any other serious chip shortages.

The amazing thing is just how much faster it is than my GT350. And it handles rather well (even the non GT does well).

Nope its not the Mustang. Nope its not ICE. Its the Mustang MachE and its a damn good ride.

Deal with it.

EvilMerlin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)

Norm
Other manufactures are not Ford and few of them have a name plate like the Mustang or Bronco. As for Porsche, all they did was electrify the Taycan. They didn't develop a new vehicle.

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
I'm glad I have my reservation for the GT Performance (Grabber Blue, painted black roof, which should be here in August/September barring any other serious chip shortages.

The amazing thing is just how much faster it is than my GT350. And it handles rather well (even the non GT does well).

Nope its not a Mustang. Nope its not ICE. Its the Mach E and its a damn good ride.

Deal with it.
Noticed you had a typo. Corrected it for you. Everything else looks good 👍

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Other manufactures are not Ford and few of them have a name plate like the Mustang or Bronco. As for Porsche, all they did was electrify the Taycan. They didn't develop a new vehicle.
I’m guessing you meant Panamera. But in any event, they really did develop an all new vehicle. Even though it fits in a similar shape envelope as Panamera and is currently eating Panamera’s lunch in terms of vehicles sold, it is not simply an electrified Panamera.

Sponsored

EvilMerlin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
I’m guessing you meant Panamera. But in any event, they really did develop an all new vehicle. Even though it fits in a similar shape envelope as Panamera and is currently eating Panamera’s lunch in terms of vehicles sold, it is not simply an electrified Panamera.
I meant to say the Cross Turismo is just the Taycan lifted. . Kinda like the Mach E isn't totally net new either.

As for branding its still clear what Porsche is trying to do. You can't turbo an electric car, but they keep using turbo in the name.

Noticed you had a typo. Corrected it for you. Everything else looks good 👍
Nope. Its the Mustang Mach E.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
So would you really want to see a time where the first images that come to peoples' minds when they hear the name 'Mustang' are those of an SUV instead of the ponycar it began life as (and has continued as for going on 60 years)?

On edit, it doesn't bother me in the slightest that the Mach E might be a very good ride for you. But would you avoid it if it had been named most anything else? I'd understand some hesitancy about the name 'Edsel'

Norm

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
They didn't dilute the name and heritage of the 911 either. Try to stay on point here.

Norm

EvilMerlin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
They didn't dilute the name and heritage of the 911 either. Try to stay on point here.

Norm
Ford didn't dilute the name of the Mustang either. There is the Mustang, Mustang Mach1, Mustang GT350 and Mustang Mach E. I really don't understand the telephone sized stick up people's asses about this.