Sponsored

"Mustang Mach E" Confirmed, Reservations Begin Immediately After Nov 17 Live-Streamed Reveal

How will Ford naming it's new electric SUV "Mustang Mach E" impact your future purchase decisions.

• Much more likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 49 12.5%
  • Slightly more likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • No change

Votes: 219 55.9%
  • Slightly less likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 55 14.0%
  • Much less likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 63 16.1%

• Total voters

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
But do the 20 somethings have crushes on the same things you did when you were 20 - nope! They live on their phones and tech is everything. They would choose the bottom one every time!
Just think if Apple sold an iMustang !! Maybe Ford can get the rights and give a cut to Apple.
Sponsored

EvilMerlin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
201 GT350 - Lead Foot Grey with Black stripes.
All the whines... delicious.

Mustang Mach E. Deal with it.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Not true. Every generation has had gearheads (petrolheads for you limey bastards :crackup: ). We've always been the minority. I've brought this up before. You have to go out of your way to buy the more expensive, less efficient, less practical, and probably less comfortable car to be into performance vehicles. This has been true for decades, and can be said about every make/price range.
I have two 20 something kids. One has a high performance ICE car (plus tech) one has a PHEV (plus tech). For both the 'tech' was crucial in the choice of car.

Even I only bought a Mustang when you sold it to us with the wheel on the correct side and sufficient 'tech' on board to make it competitive. However old cars also appeal to me (but they are usually old and not very good but you cut them some slack because they have 'character'.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Did ford not think the electric thing had enough merit to stand on it's own with it's own unique name? I think not. But like P.T. Barnum said....
It is a global car with a global message and branding. You guys are seeing it in the context of the US.

There is no 'history' of muscle cars over here but 'Mustang' means something. Ford is a weak brand globally.

It is just a name over here, it is a culture to you guys.

Sponsored

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
Did ford not think the electric thing had enough merit to stand on it's own with it's own unique name? I think not. But like P.T. Barnum said....
That's because EV is ultimately a fad, just like hybrid cars were. Ford knows this but they've invested so much into electric already that they *have* to push the Mach E globally under the Mustang name. They're desperate to see it lift off.

VIPR01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71 Gremlin
On a positive note the Mach E will fix everyone’s tick problems on the coyote. I’m looking forward to seeing the Mach E GT (480hp)& Tesla Plaid (1000+hp). The Plaid will smoke just about anything on the street today with the AC on. Too bad they didn’t put the EV technology in the Mach 1 release. Wasn’t long ago I remember saying 4-strokes in motocross were a Fad vs 2 strokes.

Last edited:

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
That's because EV is ultimately a fad, just like hybrid cars were. Ford knows this but they've invested so much into electric already that they *have* to push the Mach E globally under the Mustang name. They're desperate to see it lift off.
Just isn't the case. If it was a 'fad' as you suggest why are car makers globally investing billions in it ? Why are all new car platforms designed from the ground up to be electrified ?

Don't confuse what you want personally with what is actually happening. As a PHEV driver for our SUV there is no way we would go back to ICE only. Runs electric 90% of the time.

For a 'fad' sales of EV's globally increasing exponentially isn't too bad !

Global sales of electric cars accelerate fast in 2020 despite pandemic | Electric, hybrid and low-emission cars | The Guardian

They're desperate to see it lift off

This bit I agree with - if it doesn't they are doomed.

Sponsored

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
That's because EV is ultimately a fad, just like hybrid cars were.
It's definitely not. Battery technology that's in the process of being commercialized will dramatically change the viability of EVs from a range, charge time, manufacturing sustainability and cost perspective. They're far less complex vehicles to build and test overall and that change in tech will be like a light switch. Li-ion based batteries will not be in new cars past ~2030.

My biggest concern about EVs is not whether they can be objectively better at everything, both while driving and the production of them (they will be), but how are car companies going to engineer EVs that satisfy ALL the senses and have some....soul.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I have a performance car for doing performance car things. I have an SUV for doing SUV things. A tool for every job. What I don’t have, or want is a pickup truck. Don’t need, don’t want.
I completely get this.

But I know I’m in the minority there. I don’t go around saying that pickup trucks shouldn’t exist, just because I personally have no use for one.
We don't even do much where an SUV would be the better option, certainly not often enough to even begin to justify owning and maintaining such a vehicle.

It's not that I feel that SUVs shouldn't exist; it's more that they shouldn't be given license to crowd traditional sedans and sporty coupes out of the market.

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I think lines are blurred now. We have a Ford Puma over here which is almost identically sized to the Mk1 Focus which was a 'car' and yet the Puma is an SUV.

We have an ST-line version of most of our European Ford's - they are not ST's

Audi have S-Line badging, Mercedes AMG-Line, BMW stick 'M's everywhere.

It's all marketing and it sells cars / SUV's whatever you want to call them. The Mustang isn't a car outside the US it is a brand. DS is a brand now, and Citroen aficionados get upset about that, because of the legendary Citroen DS.
With respect to Brian's point #1, that's what you eventually end up with when attention to business theory comes at the expense of attention to the product.

I dare suggest that the marketing for the original Mustang was about being different from the herd. Not like this E which wants to be essentially indistinguishable from today's mass market.

Norm