Sponsored

Mustang GT. What RPM is it okay to Floor it?

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 premium
I have had to floor it in 4th at 2000rpm to avoid an accident no time to shift. I generally will not floor it until 3300rpms.

I usually shift around 3000-3500rpms but will cruise at 1500ish rpms. I’m usually in 4th by 35mph, 5th by 50mph.
Sponsored

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
If I am going to get down on it, I try to do it around the 3500 rpm mark or above; if that means downshifting, then that is what I do. I try not to "lug" the engine, so no 4th at 35 mph and 5th at 50 mph for me. If the rpm is sitting at 2000k, I will downshift unless in 6th and cruising around 70 mph or so. I don't get to 6th often unless I travel out of town. I am supercharged and want to be making boost.

Last edited:

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; I do not drag race so off the line speeds are not a thing. Low gear flooring gets harry quickly. Easy to get past redlines. Lots of forces and stresses on components during 1 -2 shifts. 2-3 shifts and 3-4 shifts seem less risky. But i think i get the OP's question. It is fun to use the power of an engine such as the Coyote.
Guess i decided to follow the thread to see where it goes. I suspect such driving may lead to broken parts if done in some ways. I have little to add but will hang around to see if useful guidelines are mentioned.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
That makes a lot of sense. When I think about it, there is no flooring in 1st or 2nd gear for me, as it will lead to spinning tires.

I don't think the computer will allow you to get much past redline when accelerating.

Hello; I do not drag race so off the line speeds are not a thing. Low gear flooring gets harry quickly. Easy to get past redlines. Lots of forces and stresses on components during 1 -2 shifts. 2-3 shifts and 3-4 shifts seem less risky. But i think i get the OP's question. It is fun to use the power of an engine such as the Coyote.
Guess i decided to follow the thread to see where it goes. I suspect such driving may lead to broken parts if done in some ways. I have little to add but will hang around to see if useful guidelines are mentioned.

Sponsored

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
22 GT500HE Black Stripes, 20 GT350HE, 16 GT350R Ba
Floor it!!!!

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
If you are asking this question you need to get used to driving stick shift more. As you get experienced you naturally know what to do. If you are planning to floor you need get your rpm’s above approx 3500 or downshift to do so.

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
That makes a lot of sense. When I think about it, there is no flooring in 1st or 2nd gear for me, as it will lead to spinning tires.

I don't think the computer will allow you to get much past redline when accelerating.
This depends on road conditions and tires. if you are NA with fat tires should have no issues. I can floor mine through all gear with no spin. Now if you got boost, different story.

xcm77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Claudiu
Vehicle(s)
Bullitt 2020
any rpm is fine as long as the "water" reached the proper temperature

Sponsored

Therealmattlex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
OP, I've never heard of an issue on a normal car from lugging it. I've had manuals for 30 years now and never hurt a motor from lugging it. Just this past weekend I was on a road trip driving along twisty roads through the bluffs. 2 days of barely 2 lanes, very few cars and steep hills. I have no problems coasting down some of the hills in 6th letting the engine hold speed at 50mph and at the same time most of the hills I'll climb in 5th gear even around 50mph. I still may come out of a corner and roll to wot at times with no issues. After all it is the street and not a race track.

As far as down shifting just don't go down to low of a gear. you don't want to throw it into first with only 5mph of gear left because your just going to need to upshift right away.

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
OP, I've never heard of an issue on a normal car from lugging it. I've had manuals for 30 years now and never hurt a motor from lugging it. Just this past weekend I was on a road trip driving along twisty roads through the bluffs. 2 days of barely 2 lanes, very few cars and steep hills. I have no problems coasting down some of the hills in 6th letting the engine hold speed at 50mph and at the same time most of the hills I'll climb in 5th gear even around 50mph. I still may come out of a corner and roll to wot at times with no issues. After all it is the street and not a race track.

As far as down shifting just don't go down to low of a gear. you don't want to throw it into first with only 5mph of gear left because your just going to need to upshift right away.
I agree with you to a point, but the question is- If you do cumulative damage to the engine over a long period of time with a certain style of driving and a failure occurs, will you necessarily know the failure was due to that behavior? I think not. You may or may not have a failure while doing what actually was a major cause of the failure, if that makes sense.

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 premium
Yeah you’re not going to hurt the motor from lugging it unless you’re boosted. Lugging isn’t really a thing with a computer controlled engine like this. It will limit your throttle application even if you are flooring it.

Now you want to know what rpm to launch at will roll racing check my hellcat roll race thread. Want to be about 5500-6k
Sponsored