Sponsored

MT82-D4 rebuild thread

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
Well as a counterpoint to other people's experiences with Calimer, I physically dropped my transmission off with them at their shop which was a pretty small but efficient spot. They've since expanded to a new facility with more space because of the demand.

When I picked up my transmission the thing looked brand new from the factory. It shifts great though whines a good bit at low RPM (not surprising and expected).

Super impressive you're doing this yourself but IMO Calimer also does very quality work from what I saw at their shop and with my own Stage 3 transmission.

As far as 23 vs 26 splines, at my power level they recommended 26 spline - it's a no cost option for the rebuild so all I had to do was get McLeod to re-spline my RXT which they did for only a couple hundred bucks.
Sponsored

OP
OP
NGOT8R

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Well as a counterpoint to other people's experiences with Calimer, I physically dropped my transmission off with them at their shop which was a pretty small but efficient spot. They've since expanded to a new facility with more space because of the demand.

When I picked up my transmission the thing looked brand new from the factory. It shifts great though whines a good bit at low RPM (not surprising and expected).

Super impressive you're doing this yourself but IMO Calimer also does very quality work from what I saw at their shop and with my own Stage 3 transmission.

As far as 23 vs 26 splines, at my power level they recommended 26 spline - it's a no cost option for the rebuild so all I had to do was get McLeod to re-spline my RXT which they did for only a couple hundred bucks.
Oh yeah! You’re making that big boy power! I’m glad to hear your experience with Calimer was good.

Duece McCracken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Rubicon, 2019 Bullitt

Calimer is close enough for me to drive out. So I plan on doing the same! Glad to hear it was as smooth as I had hoped.

Im excited to see @NGOT8R 's work. Last few trans I rebuilt were Getrag MMt6, fwd transaxles, lol. So this is exciting stuff to see.

GritzNGravy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I needed a new clutch for my mustang very early on. I knew I was gonna put a supercharger on eventually so I went with an RXT. My transmission was very noisy and I also have 2k rattle horrible which at one point I thought was the transmission. So While I was doing the clutch I thought putting a Calimer stage 1 wasn't to much more money and it might fix the rattle. I got all the parts, but life happens and anyway I didn't get to install the transmission and clutch for like 11 months. ( it took 2 years to get the time to install the Whipple) The new Transmission was broken. It would pop out of second gear as soon as any throttle was applied and no way you could hold it in second. I put like 3 miles on it and then drained the fluid and there was a lot of metal. Swapped the original transmission back in and its been going strong for 20k miles and 10k are boosted. Calimer wouldnt do anything since it had been almost a year. When my tranmission does go im going Tremec.

OP
OP
NGOT8R

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
@GritzNGravy, I think Calimer should have stood behind his product in this instance since it was still new and had never been installed, even though it was a year old. The more I hear of this sort of thing, the more I feel I made the right decision to handle my own build.

Sponsored

OP
OP
NGOT8R

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I spoke to the only MT82 trained tech that works at Liberty Gears today and we had a pretty good conversation about the transmission which helped steer me in the direction that I would like to go. Based on my current hp/tq rating (639 rwhp/602 rwtq) on nitrous, he said I was about at the limit of the MT82-D4 tranny, but they can strengthen the hard parts to help it remain reliable at my power level. He went on to say that if I ever decide to step up in power, he recommends switching to the T56 Magnum XL which can support up to 1500 hp. By the end of the conversation, I had received enough info to decide on having them perform their 4 step metal treatment process.

Cryogenic Processing
PROCESS: Deep freeze process that removes localized stress, alters and stabilizes molecular structure.
RESULT: Dimensional and core stability increasing wear and fracture resistance.

Thermal Stabilization
PROCESS: Heat treat draw to reduce stress.
RESULT: More resistance to surface fractures.

Shot Peen
PROCESS: Action that converts tensile stress (bad stress) into compressive stress (good stress).
RESULT: Higher load capacity.

Surface Enhancement
PROCESS: High energy, extremely uniform finishing process that microscopically blends peaks and valleys of surface finishes.
Unlike other surface enhancement processes our method does not alter gear involute form, resulting in uncompromised integrity.
RESULT: Reduced surface friction.

In addition to the above services, he said that they offer a billet shift stop and bronze shift pads (which I will purchase for the 5/6 shift fork only), as the 1/2 - 3/4 billet shift forks that I purchased from AMP Distributors already have bronze shift pads.

Lastly, I asked about upgrading the bearings to ceramics and he said: “The juice wasn’t worth the squeeze.”, meaning, it wouldn’t be cost effective at my power level.

Last edited:

Unas2k5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Samer
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2021 Explorer ,2019 Impala
What's the MT82 D4? Why is it rated so high? That's a stock MT82 for 18+? My cousin has a 19 and his MT82 already blew up lol.

OP
OP
NGOT8R

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
What's the MT82 D4? Why is it rated so high? That's a stock MT82 for 18+? My cousin has a 19 and his MT82 already blew up lol.
Yes, the D4 is the factory transmission for 18+. Can you share any additional details about your cousin’s transmission damage?

Blake (a tech at Liberty Gears) told me that 650 rwhp is about the limit for any MT82. He strongly recommended a T56 Magnum swap for anyone going boosted and looking for much more than 650 rwhp. It sounds like the gears and in some cases, the input shaft in the MT82 are brittle and can shatter under the right circumstances. That’s why special treatment (cryo treatment and shot peening processes are used to help strengthen the hard parts.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
It sounds like the gears and in some cases, the input shaft in the MT82 are brittle and can shatter under the right circumstances.
I'm surprised we don't hear about drag strip launch pads being littered with MT82 shrapnel.

Duece McCracken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Rubicon, 2019 Bullitt

stang1087

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium
Well, my first and second are great, 3rd is a lil notchy when cold. 4th is good. Probably synchro or shifter hub, regardless not the 1/2 fork, lol
There is a TSB for 3/4 as well. Of course it being a TSB you must break it before you get the new "upgraded" parts. I broke my 3/4 fork in November and got the work done. It seems to shift better. Unfortunately the drag strip nearest me closed down in December and I haven't had a chance to properly test it.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...-regarding-busted-1-2-3-4-shift-forks.113062/

OP
OP
NGOT8R

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I'm surprised we don't hear about drag strip launch pads being littered with MT82 shrapnel.
Me too!
There is a TSB for 3/4 as well. Of course it being a TSB you must break it before you get the new "upgraded" parts. I broke my 3/4 fork in November and got the work done. It seems to shift better. Unfortunately the drag strip nearest me closed down in December and I haven't had a chance to properly test it.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...-regarding-busted-1-2-3-4-shift-forks.113062/
The drag strip or road course is the true test. If something is gonna let go, it’ll likely happen when shifting aggressively.
Sponsored