NoahsArk117

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Noah
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT California Special
Hey Everyone,

I'm going to try and make this as simple as I can. I bought a used 2016 GT about 2 months ago. Everything ran fine and it had no issues. Roughly 3 weeks ago I noticed shifting became more difficult, I felt the clutch slipping on acceleration, and the clutch pedal started feeling very spongey and wouldn't return with its same force. From previous experience with manual transmissions I thought i needed a new clutch and maybe even throw out bearing. I ordered an Exedy Mach 500 clutch kit (flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing). I had a very reputable shop that I trust install it over the last few days. When picking it up they told me my trans was in bad shape (black fluid with metal shavings). I noticed none of the problems were fixed other than the clutch slipping. Getting into and out of gear is even more difficult now, to the point that I think I may break the shifter if I push to hard.

The car has 33k on it and still has some powertrain warranty left. I scheduled a service with Ford next week to look at it. I'm hoping they cover the new trans even though I just put in a mach 500 clutch kit. Looking for advice here as tho what to tell them and how to go about the repair. Really don't feel like buying a new MT82, especially if its just going to go out again after three years. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
Obviously the PO abused the hell out of that car if after 33k you have to replace the clutch and transmission. Make you wonder how much time was spent bouncing off the rev limiter and missing shifts. I would think they would warranty the MT-82 even if you put an non-OEM clutch in it 3 weeks ago.

OP
OP
NoahsArk117

NoahsArk117

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Noah
Vehicle(s)
Obviously the PO abused the hell out of that car if after 33k you have to replace the clutch and transmission. Make you wonder how much time was spent bouncing off the rev limiter and missing shifts. I would think they would warranty the MT-82 even if you put an non-OEM clutch in it 3 weeks ago.
I just got the car back yesterday and I've only driven it roughly 30 miles. I don't want to put anymore miles on it until Ford looks at it. I'm really hoping they warranty it. Weird thing is that the engine is in amazing condition, they ran a compression test and borroscoped the cylinders and it was very clean with no damage. Previous owner definitely didn't know how to shift, thats for sure. Thanks

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Abuse is not covered under warranty, as you know... but nothing wrong with trying :). However, it's possible a dealer might agree to look at it, and then deny coverage once they look at it inside (noticing the obvious abuse), possibly resulting in hundreds of dollars of labor charges, in addition to being on your own. That's why if a dealer agrees to look at your tranny, I'd put in writing that you DO NOT authorize any charges without your authorization. They might give you the car back in pieces, but at least you wouldn't have to pay anything. And you could get the tranny rebuilt with better components instead, and at a cheaper price. Good luck brother, and keep us posted.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
You are correct that the 5/60 Powertrain should cover the transmission, however it won’t cover associated parts for wear/tear (ie: the clutch components you just replaced).

The tech is going to know/see that once the trans has been dropped the clutch components are “new” and not OEM.

You can be up front with your Service Advisor and explain that you purchased the car recently, thought it was merely a clutch problem and tried to remediate it by installing a new clutch kit.

If you’re not up front and just wait for the Tech to come across the new clutch kit, it may look like you were trying to play them and they may think you’re the one who abused the trans.... which may have negative results.

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
You are correct that the 5/60 Powertrain should cover the transmission, however it won’t cover associated parts for wear/tear (ie: the clutch components you just replaced).

The tech is going to know/see that once the trans has been dropped the clutch components are “new” and not OEM.

You can be up front with your Service Advisor and explain that you purchased the car recently, thought it was merely a clutch problem and tried to remediate it by installing a new clutch kit.

If you’re not up front and just wait for the Tech to come across the new clutch kit, it may look like you were trying to play them and they may think you’re the one who abused the trans.... which may have negative results.
This. If you just explain the situation, very high chance they will just cover it. These MT-82's break all the time, Ford isn't even going to question it.

OP
OP
NoahsArk117

NoahsArk117

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Noah
Vehicle(s)

This. If you just explain the situation, very high chance they will just cover it. These MT-82's break all the time, Ford isn't even going to question it.
This is what im planning on telling Ford. I'm just going to be honest with them and tell them I installed a aftermarket clutch system to try an remedy what I thought was a simple clutch problem, but without success I am still having the same issues. I'm taking the car in a few days to the dealer and I'll post an update here as soon as possible. I really appreciate all the feedback and advice.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
My MT82 went at 19k. I'm the first owner. Never abused. Manager said the synchros were going. Replaced and felt great for about 4k miles. Pretty sure I have the same issue again.

Driving manuals for 21 years. MT82 has a design flaw for the GT application. Prob why there is a lawsuit.

OP
OP
NoahsArk117

NoahsArk117

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Noah
Vehicle(s)
My MT82 went at 19k. I'm the first owner. Never abused. Manager said the synchros were going. Replaced and felt great for about 4k miles. Pretty sure I have the same issue again.

Driving manuals for 21 years. MT82 has a design flaw for the GT application. Prob why there is a lawsuit.
What types of issues were you having when the transmission was going out?

Sponsored

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
The shifting was very notchy. I actually was in for a tob, pilot bearing failure due to a rattle and the manager said the tech determined the synchros were bad and the tranny needed to be replaced.

The car still shifted but it was picky on win it would allow. If this one goes I'll go with a magnum XL.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
And all synchros went out at once??? Typically, the first one to go is the 2nd gear one. And 3rd next. And how about what Ford replaced with tranny with, since your car had the old one. Did you get a D4? Otherwise it couldn't be new, so maybe rebuilt? At any rate, just 4K and not abusing it seems extremely soon. I almost always treat my tranny as if it was sequential, meaning up and down-shifting every gear. You don't rest your hand on the shifter when not shifting, do you? And how about shifting technique: Do you get any grinding when shifting? Do you push the clutch all the way to the floor when shifting? If you're doing everything right, I'd buy a Calimer MT-82 over a Tremec all day long, but up to you. Good luck man.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I don't know about that. The D4 version has different ratios, rev-matching, different sensors/connectors, etc. You can't just swap them.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Tremec magnum xl FTW.....

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
These MT-82's break all the time
Yeah eh.. where's all these failures ? Search the web, search M6G, best I can determine : 1-2% based on some very simple math.
Sponsored