Sponsored

MT-82 transmission chattering

Fozzy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus st
My transmission on my 2015 is making a lot of chattering noise. Especially in first and second and in neutral with the clutch in and out. I’m thinking maybe a fluid change? Anyone feel free to comment if they have a solution. Follow up to that is can I use the royal purple transmission fluid? Anyone have any experience with that? Anything I should know before doing a change of fluids?
Sponsored

Lime1GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Do you mean when as your letting the clutch out as your shifting which may indicate hot spots on the clutch disc or pressure plate? What's your mileage at?

OP
OP

Fozzy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus st
Do you mean when as your letting the clutch out as your shifting which may indicate hot spots on the clutch disc or pressure plate? What's your mileage at?
No it’s when the clutch is engaged or disengaged. There is 40k on the car but the clutch is newer it got replaced at like 30k.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
No it’s when the clutch is engaged or disengaged. There is 40k on the car but the clutch is newer it got replaced at like 30k.
40K on Factory fill fluid ?

Do you drive in sub 30 deg. air temp’s ?

Sponsored

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
What do you mean by chatter? Is it a noise or is it a pulse type vibration felt through the clutch pedal during engagement? If it is the latter and it is not a new clutch ( within 500 miles) you most likely have hot spots on your flywheel. If the chatter is a noise and it is there at idle regardless of pushing in or out the clutch pedal do me a favor and lift up on the reverse lock out collar and see if it goes away.

DeerLick

Blehhhhhh.....
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Derrick
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rapid Red GT Premium PP1
What do you mean by chatter? Is it a noise or is it a pulse type vibration felt through the clutch pedal during engagement? If it is the latter and it is not a new clutch ( within 500 miles) you most likely have hot spots on your flywheel. If the chatter is a noise and it is there at idle regardless of pushing in or out the clutch pedal do me a favor and lift up on the reverse lock out collar and see if it goes away.
I've recently started experiencing some pretty bad clutch chatter/shudder when initially engaging 1st gear from a stop. The entire car shakes violently. It's usually fine when cold and warming up, but once I've driven a few miles it starts acting up. Do I need to get my clutch replaced? I'm approaching 40K miles. Bought the car just under 30K miles and didn't really notice the issue. Not sure what caused it.

OP
OP

Fozzy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus st
It is an audible sound. It sound like
it is an audible noise. Kinda sounds like a playing card in a bike wheels but with metal. I don’t think it makes the noise in reverse just normal mt 82 clunks

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
I had a metallic rattle noise, faint like with the car running. First, second gear it would get louder. Didn't go away when pressing in clutch etc. Ended up being the reverse lockout collar was rattling below the boot.

When I lifted up on the collar while driving in those gears the noise went away.

If your having bad clutch shudder at 40k I would say its time for a new clutch.

OP
OP

Fozzy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus st
I had a metallic rattle noise, faint like with the car running. First, second gear it would get louder. Didn't go away when pressing in clutch etc. Ended up being the reverse lockout collar was rattling below the boot.

When I lifted up on the collar while driving in those gears the noise went away.

If your having bad clutch shudder at 40k I would say its time for a new clutch.
The clutch is relatively new. It got replaced around 30k because hydraulic oil got all over it.

Sponsored

ChiTownStang26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium ~2016 Mustang V6(sold)~
When my pressure plate split at 27k I had the same shuddering/shaking when starting in 1st but other gears were fine. I split it with a v6 power level too so I'd assume it's in the realm of possibility you could have. 11k on my spec stage 2 and now only get it a little in freezing winter temps when the clutch is cold but goes away after the first time pulling away.

302@12psi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona PP2 Recaros
What are the recommended fluid intervals for the car? In looking in the manual I don't recall seeing anything in reference to brake fluid, rear end gear, clutch fluid, etc.
Sponsored