Sponsored

MT-82 Transmission Failure

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
And all synchros went out at once??? Typically, the first one to go is the 2nd gear one. And 3rd next. And how about what Ford replaced with tranny with, since your car had the old one. Did you get a D4? Otherwise it couldn't be new, so maybe rebuilt? At any rate, just 4K and not abusing it seems extremely soon. I almost always treat my tranny as if it was sequential, meaning up and down-shifting every gear. You don't rest your hand on the shifter when not shifting, do you? And how about shifting technique: Do you get any grinding when shifting? Do you push the clutch all the way to the floor when shifting? If you're doing everything right, I'd buy a Calimer MT-82 over a Tremec all day long, but up to you. Good luck man.
Not sure just said Synchros were bad.
Not a D4, bran new mt82 for 15-17 per paperwork. This has been several years ag
No to all the rest. I prefer the magnum over a built mt82. Heard some people have had issues.
Sponsored

OP
OP
NoahsArk117

NoahsArk117

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Noah
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT California Special
So I've got an update and I am in need of advice. I took the car to Ford, they said the transmission was fine. All synchros work just fine. I took off the shift boot to make sure nothing was out of order and everything looked in right. Right now the clutch grabs and feels great. No slipping or grinding when shifting. The only issue I am having is getting into reverse and first when the car is not moving. When the car is off it slides right in without a problem. When the car is running reverse is a b**** and a half to engage and first is tough too. Every other gear is butter smooth. I'm almost 100% Certatin there is something going on with the new clutch system.

Here is where I need advice. I can get Exedy to replace the parts for me and I'll have it installed again, or... I can just have an OEM system put in and just give up on Exedy products. I am at a fork in the road here, because if Exedy replaces the clutch kit and I still have the same problem my Ford dealer is going to just say it's my problem. If I have an OEM clutch system put in and have the same problem, they will for sure investigate it and fix it. My question is do I try to replace the clutch kit in hopes that the kit was defective or do I just bite the bullet and put an OEM system back in the car.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
What fluid is in the trans..

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
So I've got an update and I am in need of advice. I took the car to Ford, they said the transmission was fine. All synchros work just fine. I took off the shift boot to make sure nothing was out of order and everything looked in right. Right now the clutch grabs and feels great. No slipping or grinding when shifting. The only issue I am having is getting into reverse and first when the car is not moving. When the car is off it slides right in without a problem. When the car is running reverse is a b**** and a half to engage and first is tough too. Every other gear is butter smooth. I'm almost 100% Certatin there is something going on with the new clutch system.

Here is where I need advice. I can get Exedy to replace the parts for me and I'll have it installed again, or... I can just have an OEM system put in and just give up on Exedy products. I am at a fork in the road here, because if Exedy replaces the clutch kit and I still have the same problem my Ford dealer is going to just say it's my problem. If I have an OEM clutch system put in and have the same problem, they will for sure investigate it and fix it. My question is do I try to replace the clutch kit in hopes that the kit was defective or do I just bite the bullet and put an OEM system back in the car.
It sounds like a linkage issue or a pressure plate problem if you only have issues with 1st and reverse. Do you have the stock linkage?

Sponsored

OP
OP
NoahsArk117

NoahsArk117

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Noah
Vehicle(s)
Yes. As of now the only aftermarket non-cosmetic thing on this car is the clutch system and fkywheel.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Yes. As of now the only aftermarket non-cosmetic thing on this car is the clutch system and fkywheel.
The MT82 has a body mounted shifter with a linkage, if it was reconnected too tightly it could cause that issue. I'm unfamiliar with how to adjust it personally, but its worth a check. Otherwise the clutch is likely the problem, either because the throw out bearing isn't pushing the pressure plate springs in far enough, or there's a bent finger or something. Usually this issue progresses into terrible clutch drag and gear lockouts.

OP
OP
NoahsArk117

NoahsArk117

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Noah
Vehicle(s)
The MT82 has a body mounted shifter with a linkage, if it was reconnected too tightly it could cause that issue. I'm unfamiliar with how to adjust it personally, but its worth a check. Otherwise the clutch is likely the problem, either because the throw out bearing isn't pushing the pressure plate springs in far enough, or there's a bent finger or something. Usually this issue progresses into terrible clutch drag and gear lockouts.
I had a feeling it was the clutch as well. Three Ford trans techs drove it and all said the same thing. Really sucks because I'm already $2,000 into this clutch job and I'm going to spend another $1,500 to get this one taken out and an OEM unit put it. Hopefully Exedy will give me my money back for the parts. While the trans is out Ford said they would look at it to ensure it's good. As much as I want to go with the exedy unit again on the hopes that the clutch i received was defective, I cant keep burning money just in case it goes wrong. Thanks for the input everyone. I'll post a final update once Ford wraps up the new clutch system and flywheel install.

OP
OP
NoahsArk117

NoahsArk117

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Noah
Vehicle(s)
*Final Update*

Transmission is fine. New OEM clutch system is in place. All problems went away, the Ford tech said the Exedy clutch was installed perfectly and it was just a defective pressure plate. Conclusion: Exedy makes a garbage clutch system and I don't see myself buying any of their products again.

The end

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
*Final Update*

Transmission is fine. New OEM clutch system is in place. All problems went away, the Ford tech said the Exedy clutch was installed perfectly and it was just a defective pressure plate. Conclusion: Exedy makes a garbage clutch system and I don't see myself buying any of their products again.

The end
Glad you got it resolved. Shame you wasted so much money on a defective clutch..can you get a refund?

Sponsored
OP
OP
NoahsArk117

NoahsArk117

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Noah
Vehicle(s)
Glad you got it resolved. Shame you wasted so much money on a defective clutch..can you get a refund?
Hopefully, I sent the parts back to American Muscle. It just really put a sour taste in my mouth of aftermarket car parts. I just got the car a few months ago and I was really excited to start the mods. This was my first "major" mod to the car, but with the experience I've had so far, I'm starting to think the aftermarket part industry for these mustangs has pretty bad quality control.

Crowd Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$hitbox
Tell Exedy about this thread. I'm sure they would want to make it right.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase