Sponsored

MT-82 Second Gear Grind/Pop-Out

silverbullet85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Gt
No I'm paying out of pocket. Just went to dealer to see if they have the parts the trans shop needs. The cars supercharged and heavily molded they would put up a fight for sure to fix it. Plus I don't want to have my car sitting at the dealer for a month plus
Sponsored

OP
OP
Ghost50

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Metallic GT PP1
Rise from the grave old thread.

Im having the exact same problem. Second grinds/pops out in my 2019.

Did you get yours fixed under warranty? They fight you on it? Give a payment reimbursement?
Sorry for the late reply! I haven’t logged in in awhile.

yes mine was fixed under warranty without issue. I didn’t push for payment reimbursement because I wasn’t without the car for long enough. The dealer and Ford did well by me.

When mine blew it was in the middle of a huge backlog of claims for shift forks and full trans replacements from Ford. So originally they said it could be a few months.

But I pitched an idea to the dealer and they got Ford to approve it - since they have a ton of Mustangs in inventory I asked if they’d take one out of one of their cars on the lot and then just have Ford send a replacement for that once their backlog cleared.

Ford agreed. And I made sure they gave me a tranny built in 2019 with the corrected shift forks.

Haven’t had any issues in the last couple years since it was replaced.

Strokercrate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT 400a Black Accent.
Sorry for the late reply! I haven’t logged in in awhile.

yes mine was fixed under warranty without issue. I didn’t push for payment reimbursement because I wasn’t without the car for long enough. The dealer and Ford did well by me.

When mine blew it was in the middle of a huge backlog of claims for shift forks and full trans replacements from Ford. So originally they said it could be a few months.

But I pitched an idea to the dealer and they got Ford to approve it - since they have a ton of Mustangs in inventory I asked if they’d take one out of one of their cars on the lot and then just have Ford send a replacement for that once their backlog cleared.

Ford agreed. And I made sure they gave me a tranny built in 2019 with the corrected shift forks.

Haven’t had any issues in the last couple years since it was replaced.
Thats good. Mine is in now. Had to wait two weeks to even drop it off. They have had it since Wednesday. They called yesterday and said the transmission techs are so backed up they likely won't even look at it until mid to end of next week and parts are so back ordered they can't even then estimate when it will be completed. Im highly debating on trading it after the repair.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
No I'm paying out of pocket. Just went to dealer to see if they have the parts the trans shop needs. The cars supercharged and heavily molded they would put up a fight for sure to fix it. Plus I don't want to have my car sitting at the dealer for a month plus
Since you’re paying out of pocket what’s the chances of getting a used Tremec from a GT350?

Also, if you’re gonna keep an MT82, why not at least make the shifter better with the MGW unit?

Last edited:

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Since you’re posting out of pocket what’s the chances of getting a used Tremec from a GT350?

Also, if you’re gonna keep an MT82, why not at least make the shifter better with the MGW unit?
Mgw or Barton really fixed the tranny. I love it now

Sponsored

OP
OP
Ghost50

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Metallic GT PP1
Thats good. Mine is in now. Had to wait two weeks to even drop it off. They have had it since Wednesday. They called yesterday and said the transmission techs are so backed up they likely won't even look at it until mid to end of next week and parts are so back ordered they can't even then estimate when it will be completed. Im highly debating on trading it after the repair.
That sounds about right as far as lead times go. Supply chain interruptions are still wreaking havoc. Hopefully they’ll get to you quickly.

Not sure where you’re located but if there are other dealers close by it may be worthwhile to check with them too. Maybe they’d be able to get you in faster.

I’m in Houston so we have a lot of dealers to go to with the heavy line techs. It would also be worth a shot to ask them about getting a donor car off the lot like they did with mine.

Good luck with everything!

Strokercrate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That sounds about right as far as lead times go. Supply chain interruptions are still wreaking havoc. Hopefully they’ll get to you quickly.

Not sure where you’re located but if there are other dealers close by it may be worthwhile to check with them too. Maybe they’d be able to get you in faster.

I’m in Houston so we have a lot of dealers to go to with the heavy line techs. It would also be worth a shot to ask them about getting a donor car off the lot like they did with mine.

Good luck with everything!
Yeah i called around all said basically 2 weeks to even have me drop the car off. Seems supply chain is lagged and also demand for mt82 repairs are high.

Strokercrate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So i haven't had my car for 36 days now and they have yet to fix it. Under my states lemon law they are now required to buy it back or replace it. I certified mailed them today the documents my state department gave me to send for a new replacement car. They have 20 days to provide one or the state picks it up. We will see how it goes.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
So i haven't had my car for 36 days now and they have yet to fix it. Under my states lemon law they are now required to buy it back or replace it. I certified mailed them today the documents my state department gave me to send for a new replacement car. They have 20 days to provide one or the state picks it up. We will see how it goes.
They’ll get right on it now, in hopes that you’ll take it back and drop the lemon law buy back process. Did you have any mods on the car that they should reimburse you for? You don’t want to forget to add them to the paperwork if you do.

Strokercrate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They’ll get right on it now, in hopes that you’ll take it back and drop the lemon law buy back process. Did you have any mods on the car that they should reimburse you for? You don’t want to forget to add them to the paperwork if you do.
Yes i have mods. A catback and catch can and hood struts. But i hope to take them off and put the factory back on and put the mods on the replacement According to the state official i spoke to they said even if they finish the car tomorrow and i take possession its still considered a lemon and the law still applies. Unless i decide to settle with ford for something else. I likely won't as there are other issues. What caused the damage in the first place is the clutch not completely disengaging. With clutch pressed in at times intermittently gears would grind until i pushed shifter out and back in from first week i had the car but dealership won't even look at the clutch just said they were throwing replacement parts in transmission so it will happen again anyways. Prefer to not have this headache again.

Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
That must be very frustrating. What do you intend to replace the car with once Ford buys it back?

Strokercrate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That must be very frustrating. What do you intend to replace the car with once Ford buys it back?
Im doing a replacement option. They have to provide a direct replacement as close to what i have as possible since options change from year to year but with these mustangs the 2019-2021 only option i know has changed is they stopped ruby red metallic tint which mine is and now have a slightly brighter rapid red metallic tint. Being most 2020 are already gone the state said it will likely be a 2021 replacement.

silverbullet85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Gt
Mgw or Barton really fixed the tranny. I love it now
The problem isn't the shifter with mt82s, while the aftermarket shifter is far better than stock it does nothing to fix high rpm lockout and syncro issues. The lockout is a direct issue with a shitty clutch that can't handle the high rpms. Once you install a good clutch no more lockout

Strokercrate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The problem isn't the shifter with mt82s, while the aftermarket shifter is far better than stock it does nothing to fix high rpm lockout and syncro issues. The lockout is a direct issue with a shitty clutch that can't handle the high rpms. Once you install a good clutch no more lockout
Yep. I knew it was clutch from day one but telling them that they wouldn't hear it

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
What is the best clutch to get for the MT82-D4? It appears that this is a very oose subject. I would like to know for certain, because like all manual trans Mustang owners, I will find myself in need of a clutch some day. I don’t want to experiment and would rather get it right on the first go around.
Sponsored