Sponsored

Motorweek Car of the year! Loved my S550’s but S650 not so bad after all.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
But we’ll welcome you over there when you buy your first S650.
Already banned for dissing the headlights. Well not actually banned but if I try to post a mod has to approve it. So might as well be.
Sponsored

daSNAK3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
Vehicle Showcase
After starting to see them lowered and with wheels, I don't think they look that bad on the outside, I am still not a fan of the inside. Maybe if they fixed the interior and if you will be able to tune/modify them in the future as you please and not just getting Whipple kit from the Ford dealer, then maybe I would get one someday.... but forever keeping my S550 until I die.

13GetThere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lynn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2 Magnet Grey
First: a car company is going to improve something about the next model year to get you to buy/trade for that new model year.
Second: it often takes a few model years before before the new body style or performance improvement looks good to you, and makes you want to buy it.
Finally WE have to realize that its all about our wants, means, and taste. I had a 2013 Mustang GT; didn't like the 2012. S550 comes out with IRS and new body style; I didn't like it. 2018 comes out with a face lift, Magnaride and the PP2 and I had to have it. Mach 1 HP comes out in 2021, and I beat myself up for not waiting 2 years to trade. Then I realize means and satisfaction plays a big part. After all, I'd be very happy with a 69 Mach 1 even if I never won a race.
Who knows, something may get me to trade for a S650 in a few years, and I'll always regret not getting that 69, or 21 Mach 1.

OP
OP
EgoBoost

EgoBoost

9/11 Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Black PP GT 6 SPEED
First: a car company is going to improve something about the next model year to get you to buy/trade for that new model year.
Second: it often takes a few model years before before the new body style or performance improvement looks good to you, and makes you want to buy it.
Finally WE have to realize that its all about our wants, means, and taste. I had a 2013 Mustang GT; didn't like the 2012. S550 comes out with IRS and new body style; I didn't like it. 2018 comes out with a face lift, Magnaride and the PP2 and I had to have it. Mach 1 HP comes out in 2021, and I beat myself up for not waiting 2 years to trade. Then I realize means and satisfaction plays a big part. After all, I'd be very happy with a 69 Mach 1 even if I never won a race.
Who knows, something may get me to trade for a S650 in a few years, and I'll always regret not getting that 69, or 21 Mach 1.
Spot on and great taste! Some of my old rides.

IMG_6225.jpeg

IMG_0989.jpeg

IMG_8521.png

Sponsored

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I think everyone should be glad Ford has the balls to come out a new ICE Mustang model, instead of pissing and moaning about how awful it is. NA V8 engines are going to get pretty rare in new cars.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I'm mostly indifferent to the S650. I'm sure it drives well, but for me the rear end is a sore spot, especially if you don't get the active exhaust. The S550 rear is perfection to me.

With that said, I'm not ruling out buying one in the future.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Why would people think the S650 is bad?

Most reviews have been positive.
Reviewers are paid shills, who are required to parrot corporate talking points. And the 650 tablet extravaganza is identical to the one in the new k5.

Glued on tablets aside the styling is revolting. I mean just look at this rear wing. Did someone do an inlay coffee table in shop class and think let's do that on mustang?

IMG_20240113_112359566.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

radar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible 5 Litre V8
It will grow on you. Trust me. We modify/personalize the hell out of these Mustangs. It took 6 months to grow on me. I chose black to hide a lot of what I did not like. I lowered it with spacers, put stripes on, MGW shifter, side skirts, rear seat delete, etc. the fox body digital/analog gauge adds so much tradition to the futuristic interior that I did not like. The base GT is miles ahead of my base 23GT (Whipple/fuel system).

It’s ok not to like it (yet). But we shouldn’t fight a civil war since it is our heritage and community.

IMG_2088.jpeg
Probably nicest S650 I’ve seen, cos it looks best in black.
Black disguises the overlayed mascara plastics which are worst on DH. I reckon Eco is best looker.

There is nothing about S650 to tempt me out of either my 17 GT vert or 20 Hardtop.

Nothing screams “buy me or must have”.

I didn’t care much for catfish 18 GT on release, but now own one and it’s slightly more refined car than my 17 vert.
I reckon I’ll buy a used S650 before 2033. Figure by then I’ll be used to looks and can pick up a second hand car under warranty for about half price.

And I’ll bookmark your black one to know how to make it look good.

OP
OP
EgoBoost

EgoBoost

9/11 Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Black PP GT 6 SPEED
Probably nicest S650 I’ve seen, cos it looks best in black.
Black disguises the overlayed mascara plastics which are worst on DH. I reckon Eco is best looker.

There is nothing about S650 to tempt me out of either my 17 GT vert or 20 Hardtop.

I didn’t care much for catfish 18 GT on release, but now own one and it’s slightly more refined car than my 17 vert.
I reckon I’ll buy a used S650 before 2033. Figure by then I’ll be used to looks and can pick up a second hand car under warranty for about half price.

can’t disagree. Thank you!

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
And the 1974 Mustang II won Motor Trends car of the year.
That was an extremely successful redesign that customers loved and Ford sold well over 300,000 of them. Ford would LOVE to come up with a new Mustang design that would sell that many. Yes the Mustang II hasn't aged that well, but those were good cars for the time.

This.

I don't mind the dash that most people find to be a deal-breaker. I don't even mind the exterior looks enough to call it a deal-breaker, but I just bought a '22 a couple of years ago, and nothing with the S650 is even remotely tempting in my particular case.
I agree that as an owner of a 2017 Mustang the S650 isn't compelling to me either. The small improvements aren't worth the high price to me.

If it's only beautiful in black, then the design is 💩 , it's as simple as that.
Black steelies are best match, because with black it's not the design that matters, just that they run smoothly. 🤷‍♂️

PS: Ford could also have made the retro speedometer into a properly integrated screen; it doesn't need a glued-on tablet that would only do honour to a japanese kei car.

Could be a RHD S650, but its a Nissan Sakura...

1707520109913.png
Wow, that Nissan interior is REALLY FUGLY! The Mustang interior is absolutely beautiful by comparison.

I think everyone should be glad Ford has the balls to come out a new ICE Mustang model, instead of pissing and moaning about how awful it is. NA V8 engines are going to get pretty rare in new cars.
Don't get me wrong, I'm glad Ford is still selling a V8 Mustang. However, I like to whine. It's fun for me.

I do feel that Ford missed a golden opportunity to make the S650 better than the S550. But I also realize as an enthusiast, what I want is different than what a lot of more casual drivers prefer.

I agree. Especially at the price.

If it's an option still available when the time comes, my next move is probably a built engine for either my current Mustang, Camaro or both. Right now, it would be fairly easy to build something better for the Camaro. The Mustang engine is more tapped out as far as potential goes, so something aftermarket might be necessary like a Mercury Racing SB4. The S650 as it currently exists doesn't appeal to me as a used vehicle any more than it does new. But things may change. Maybe Ford will come out with something great before the ICE goes away.

Heck, maybe the ICE won't go away and new cars will become appealing to people again.

Nightmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jens
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
I reckon Eco is best looker.
I hope, if they bring another Bullitt, it comes with a S650 Ecoboost front skirt... 😬
But after the thing with the Mach1 called Dark Horse, I'm also afraid of what the Bullitt successor might be called...
...maybe King of Cool Edition...
...maybe it will have a instrument cluster theme of a vintage green VW beetle...
Sponsored

Last edited: