Mobility kit vs. Spare tire

OldPhart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜05 GMC P/U, ā€˜17 Impala, 19 Bullitt
Hey, those are awesome news. I was thinking exactly that, since it didn't make sense to put the jack first, since the tire is going to go only as deep as when the first diameter is reduced. And many wheels 'right side' extend beyond the tire, so it makes sense to put it the way you did, since the dual-diameter cavity probably prevents the wheel from touching the bottom of the cavity, which would be perfect. Can you confirm if the wheel actually touches the bottom or not? If not, no need to even line the cavity, like I was planning to do.

Finally, may I ask why you didn't want to buy the OEM jack/lug-wrench? Just curious. Take care.
Hi again - No, I donā€™t believe the tire is touching the bottom, but of course it rests against the sides. Either way itā€™s only rubber that would be touching so no need for a liner anyway. When I ordered the AA spare it only appeared as a kit from what I could tell and I was confused when I read that people bought the tire only - whatever, no big deal. The surprise to me was that the tire is not the typical donut spare thatā€™s in my Impala which requires 60 psi. When you lift the tire out, you need to lift it up from the portion of the tire nearest the back of the trunk, because the front portion is under that plastic lip. A useful tip; if you have a car for a long time, check the tire psi every couple of years, particularly if you have a car with the traditional donut. Nothing like putting that 6 year old donut on and discover its low on pressure. The donut for my C4 Vette required a pressure boost every 2 or 3 years as it would drop to about 45 psi. Another tip is to cut yourself a small piece of board for stabilizing the jack on uneven ground and it can be easily stored. Incidentally, if I hadnā€™t eventually found the instructions I never would have guessed what that extension piece taped to the jack was for. I didnā€™t need it, but watch me save the damn thing forever along with all the other oddball nuts, bolts and screws in my garage... Bruce
Sponsored

Last edited:

chesster51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Vehicle Showcase
Got the AA spare and it fit right in the wheel well ( watch the video on their site). The AA jack, which is what Ford recommends is crap IMO. The slot on the saddle is too wide and when jacking it goes crooked. So I got a Ford FMC F0004 Mechanical Scissor Jack (1.5)
and a TMB Single Medium Size Universal Slotted Rubber Jack Pad Frame Rail Protector. This combo works fine for me. Hopefully it will only be needed in an emergency! My only concern in all this is the added weight to our already heavy cars.
Where did you buy that jack? I've only been able to find it at Home Depot and it's sold out.

Fillykonk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oswald
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush Stage 3
I finally broke down and ordered the AA complete kit spare yesterday. I am going on a 6 hour mountain cruise May 24th (weather permitting) and wanted to get the spare in time (hopefully no shipping delays). I do hope the group buy goes through for those still interested in this purchase. I plan on just keeping the spare in the trunk until and unless I can figure out another place to mount the BAP located in the spare well.

Sponsored

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
Iā€™ve always wondered if they filled the donut with nitrogen, would the pressure be better maintained?
No. There would be no detectable difference. And if anyone thinks there will be a notable difference in leakage rates between a 300 pm nitrogen molecule at 1.6 bar(g) partial pressure versus a 292 pm oxygen molecule at 0.4 bar(g) partial pressure, I'd be happy to review his proposed mechanism.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
PP1 Rim and Tire New are over $400. This is a new PP1 rim and Tire.
What exactly are you selling? It's not the AA wheel/tire assembly, right? And there's no PP1 OEM wheel that fits PP1s, as far as I know.

Sponsored

Fillykonk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oswald
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush Stage 3
Received the AA tire today. Not a bad turnaround to order it on Sunday and get it on Tuesday! It will certainly provide some piece of mind especially on longer road trips.
Sponsored