MGW shifter

MikeD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
After three years hassling with the OEM shifter on my 2016 Mustang GT PP I finally got a MGW shifter and it is very good. Shifts are close and smooth. No complaints, would highly recommend. The staff at MGW are very nice and very helpful as I wanted to retain my shift knob. Paul at “Prodyno” in fort mill S.C. install it for me in about two hours. Paul know his stuff as he has installed many of these shifters. Very happy with the shifter and the install job. I had to drive from Atlanta and it was worth it to have it installed professionally. If you are thinking about changing out that terrible oem shifter give them a look it will be worth your time.
Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
After three years hassling with the OEM shifter on my 2016 Mustang GT PP I finally got a MGW shifter and it is very good. Shifts are close and smooth. No complaints, would highly recommend. The staff at MGW are very nice and very helpful as I wanted to retain my shift knob. Paul at “Prodyno” in fort mill S.C. install it for me in about two hours. Paul know his stuff as he has installed many of these shifters. Very happy with the shifter and the install job. I had to drive from Atlanta and it was worth it to have it installed professionally. If you are thinking about changing out that terrible oem shifter give them a look it will be worth your time.
You say all this and no pics?

jcl78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium / PP1 / MT-82
Vehicle Showcase
If it weren't for the lengthy install, I would definitely have an MGW. I love wrenching on cars, however the thought of dropping the transmission brace to access the unit, having to reassembly blindly (that nut above the trans that you can't see), etc. really has steered me away from it. If I knew of a reputable shop in the Denver area who has installed many of these I would move forward with it. Glad you like it!

Idle-Hands

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
If it weren't for the lengthy install, I would definitely have an MGW. I love wrenching on cars, however the thought of dropping the transmission brace to access the unit, having to reassembly blindly (that nut above the trans that you can't see), etc. really has steered me away from it. If I knew of a reputable shop in the Denver area who has installed many of these I would move forward with it. Glad you like it!
I would say that should not steer you away from tackling it yourself. I just did mine a few weekends ago and that was one of the easier parts of the install. None of the work under the car was very challenging. Getting the boot into the MGW once it is in the tunnel was the worst part IMO. Reusing my Bullitt shift ball turned into a huge debacle so I would suggest putting on an MGW ball. I did an H pipe at the same time so exhaust was out of the way but I left the driveshaft in.
20190912_223341.jpg

Sponsored

5.0dad

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Mgw is the sh**. There located in Augusta Ga, and they used to install free by appointment if I remember correctly. Maybe not anymore.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Had MGW in my old GT. Loved that shifter.

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
It's really not that bad. I did it on my back in my garage on ramps. Long tube headers however, are a different story..

ManBearPig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Just put mine on this weekend. I had the trans out to put a clutch in so I was able to install the bridge with the trans on the bench, then just get the shifter body on with the trans back in the car. Much easier that way but I don’t think it would be that bad even without pulling the trans. I would not try it with the driveshaft in place, though.

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
I like the engineering behind the MGW shifters but will not go back to a push down reverse lockout... Thats literally the only reason why I dont have one in my car.

Sponsored

nomorework

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I took your advice and had one installed in my car a few weeks ago, great upgrade from stock !

Tonymustang302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Turbo GT, 2019 GT350 racecar, 2021 GT500
Which shifter are you guys talking about. Lethal has a race and other.

kenbidwell

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2020 F250 Tremor, 2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP(wifes car)
Just installed the X-Spec short throw a couple of weeks ago, great mod. Strait forward install with great videos. One of the best mods for the MT-82 ever.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
The only issue I had installing mine was the horizontal bolt on the top of the trans. I had to use a prybar to move the trans to get the bolt out but no room to do that when reinstalling the bolt. Some cars there is enough clearance to remove/install the bolt but if your trans is just a hair higher or to the right or to the back in the tunnel the trans has to be shifted down or to the left to get that bolt in/out. Supposedly not a problem with an Eco which has the trans just slightly more forward or lower. If you are on a lift, you can bring the trans down with just your body weight. On your back under the car, you can only use your upper body weight and it was not enough on mine. I had to get a second person to push down from inside the car while I pulled underneath. Other than that minor issue, was a piece of cake. I expected getting the boot in would be difficult since almost every install post contained a lot of swearing about that. For me it slipped right in place.

The only downsides of the shifter is the calamities it caused at the dealer. I avoid dealers like the plague but before doing some suspension work, I decided I would have them check what others call the standard driveline clunk so if mine turned out to be something else, they wouldn't blame my mods or tell me I have to undo them before they touched it.

Since the MGW is solidly mounted to the trans, it does vibrate more. The dealer tech decided the extra vibration must be an internal trans problem and ended up draining my new BG fluid to look for chunks of metal and replacing it with the crap I had just replaced with the BG.

In addition, my dash-cam showed their most senior tech wanting to make a 3 point turn in the shop and unable to get it into reverse for over 5 minutes while the tech in the bay he was blocking was giving him shit. It never dawned on me I had to tell them to push down for reverse (one of my favorite things about the MGW). I guess its easier if you don't always work on a particular model because neither the tire, muffler or alignment shops (only ones else who have driven the car) had the slightest problem/delay.
Sponsored