Sponsored

MGW Shifter pros and cons

rollingshi59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base A10
I am mostly seeing positive reviews some mgw shifter but also some negative reviews especially on reverse. can anyone explain more in detail please? Also how are the barton shifters? Thanks in advance
Sponsored

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
I am mostly seeing positive reviews some mgw shifter but also some negative reviews especially on reverse. can anyone explain more in detail please? Also how are the barton shifters? Thanks in advance
it is an awesome piece. if you like precision you will be thrilled.

you push the shifter down for reverse, and it does put you in a slightly odd position(strictly talking shoulder joint, I’m a PT) compared to lifting up. the plus, is it gets rid of the rattling stock piece that is prone to break.

i can’t see it being anything but good unless you just had rotator cuff surgery (or some oddly specific injury) on your R arm. any car i own, i will always check to see if George makes a shifter right off the bat.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Agreed. It's a stretch, but if I had to list a negative, it's the push down for reverse. It's a pretty solid push. But calling this a con would be under duress at gunpoint. I have heard of folks complaining, and actually removing them, because it's too notchy and firm. But now you're getting into opinion and personal perspective, so, take it with a grain of salt.

alan0614

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Oxford/Blue
No negatives from me, yeah getting used to the reverse lock out took a few minutes but that's it. If you are installing it yourself and have big hands, that might be a negative. One of the best mods for the car.

Kado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 H4866
I'll be the dissenter of the group. I found the MGW annoying for three reasons, reverse,the 4-5 shift and the stock shifter.

Reverse was annoying because every now and then reverse gets locked out and needs some love. The push down then left then up made it vague to know if you were in reverse or if it was a little bound up.

The 4-5 shift just becomes cumbersome. Its great on track, but for normal driving, you have to put some effort to get it over. Not a major deal, but enough.

Last, the stock shifter is probably one of the best shifters I've ever had in a car. If this was the SN95 or the Fox shifter, then MGW in a heartbeat. But the improvement just isn't significant enough for me to overlook the downsides.​

Just my opinion. I have my MGW sitting on a shelf for the day that I change my mind and see the light.

Sponsored

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
I'll be the dissenter of the group. I found the MGW annoying for three reasons, reverse,the 4-5 shift and the stock shifter.

Reverse was annoying because every now and then reverse gets locked out and needs some love. The push down then left then up made it vague to know if you were in reverse or if it was a little bound up.

The 4-5 shift just becomes cumbersome. Its great on track, but for normal driving, you have to put some effort to get it over. Not a major deal, but enough.

Last, the stock shifter is probably one of the best shifters I've ever had in a car. If this was the SN95 or the Fox shifter, then MGW in a heartbeat. But the improvement just isn't significant enough for me to overlook the downsides.​

Just my opinion. I have my MGW sitting on a shelf for the day that I change my mind and see the light.
Ever had the stock shifter give you the 2-3 lockout?

Nevermind. Thought this was a S550 forum.

Last edited:

LFG_Cory

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2018 SHELBY GT350 LEAD FOOT GREY
I am getting my MGW installed next week. I'll post feedback.

Kado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 H4866
Ever had the stock shifter give you the 2-3 lockout?
I've hit it a few times when I'm shifting hard at WOT. Its not normally a position I put the car in, I generally autocross or track it, so I can take some of the pressure off that gear change. I hear that more in the drag world.

5.2 liters of democracy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
2017 Avalanche Gray GT350
The nice thing about the MGW is you can swap out the springs if you think it is too tight. Just measure them and hop onto McMaster Carr to order the same dimensions with less strength. To me that negates nearly any con someone can come up with.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I had an MGW in my 2011 GT and I had a similar issue with reverse. The GT needed a shifter replacement because the stock shifter was absolute crap - so much so that I was having trouble finding the right gear. Welding spatter on the shift rod had completely torn up the stock bushings. My advice on the GT350 is to only change the shifter if you really dislike the stock one.

Don't get me wrong - the MGW I owned in the past was a really great unit. Definitely high quality and very precise. If that's what you want, I don't think you will be disappointed with the quality and construction of the MGW.

Sponsored

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
Last, the stock shifter is probably one of the best shifters I've ever had in a car.
I agree with this statement. Actually, I put a Steeda short shifter in it to see what that would be like, and to overcome the poor design of how the lockout actuator attached to the lift up collar. The feel of the shifts was not right for me. Ended up swapping it back out for the OEM unit that was slightly modified. I added a FRPP knob, a Steeda aluminum lockout collar, and my son designed and 3D printed an improved, reinforced lockout actuator that uses setscrews instead of the three flimsy snap tabs. Rock solid now.

I don't drag race it, but the stock shifter works great on the street and carving through the mountains.

Last edited:

svassh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R Performance Blue Metallic
I have one in a box awaiting install of my 2 post lift. Bought it off another member here who installed it, did not like it and removed it for the stock shifter. I have some issues with precision on the 2-3 shift with my stock I am hoping it will resolve.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350

Soooo...I actually agree with Kado on this one. Even though I ranted about how good it is previously in this thread, I do agree with this statement. It is hands down THE best stock shifter I've ever had in a car. But I did not comment on this because one thing broke me away from this statement. Install the MGW, spend some time in the car, and then go back and drive a car with a stock shifter. Then the true difference really becomes apparent. @Kado ...for this reason alone brotha...install that shifter.

dvsrpnt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Used both on track, I still get locked out of 3rd randomly even 1 time on track. It feels very good but super stiff so if you are not a fan of a stiff shifter I would not recommend. Its also short enough that if you are not paying attention it is easy to put it into 3rd instead of 1st taking off. So its just up to you. I actually preferred my stock shifter cause it just felt so good but I'm too lazy to take it out now and have gotten used to the MGW quirks.

dvsrpnt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Also, I will add if you lack upper body strength reverse is not an option. I have had some friends who tried it and even both hands couldn't put it into reverse so take that into account. My best advice would be to find a Shelby club near you and ask to try someone's shifter.
Sponsored