Sponsored

Methanol injection, safety net or use for power

Roush05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
I think I'm going to be adding in a boost controller and a meth kit soon. I have been thinking and I am tempted to wastegate down to about 12 psi and use the meth as a safety net. However, if I wanted to increase the boost and use the meth to increase timing, how risky is that? Has anyone ever had a meth pump or nozzle fail and cause problems?

Also, how difficult is the wiring for a stage 2 snow kit?
Sponsored

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
Use it for cooling effect and move the IATs down stream of nozzle so PCM can see the cooling effect and take advantage. Not a fan of using it as a fuel and pushing the tune with it.

OP
OP

Roush05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Do you know where the iat sensors are? I think the kit I'm looking at has a throttle body plate mount but I'd have to double-check that.

OP
OP

Roush05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT

Sponsored

Ruiner46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CO GT PP
If you plan to use meth to increase boost, then I would recommend choosing a system with a failsafe. I'm looking at an Aquamist kit, which is not very commonly used on this forum. I'll post up some details when I receive the kit. It currently has a 3-5 week leadtime, so it will be a while...

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
I was just talking to my buddy about this the other day. he used windshield wiper fluid in his EVO for meth injection in his homemade getup. Ran 9's all day long. Guess it's a thing in that ricer community.

OP
OP

Roush05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
A lot of windshield wiper fluid is just water and methanol.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
A lot of windshield wiper fluid is just water and methanol.
That's exactly what he said. i'd never heard of it before.

Wolvee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
You'd need to have it tuned for what ever ratio of fluid you decide to use and don't stray from it from that point on. Winter blend washer fluid mixed with HEET would be more ideal. There are dedicated Forums to Meth injection as well as dozens of videos on it. Spend an hour or two surfing and then give your tuner a call and ask him what he feels comfortable tuning.

Opinions here are going to all over the map. I haven't seen any new kits blow up cars on this forum but I have seen pumps fail. That's probably a combination of Better Pumps, Better Tuners and studious drivers.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Roush05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
My tuner said he will tune 50/50 but he actually likes straight methanol for bigger gains.. I would prefer not to have it eating through fittings so I'm going to go with a 50/50 mix or I'll look into the winter blend you mentioned and see what it's about.

The pump failure is the only thing that worries me. This is a DD for me and if it went down it would be a pain.

Nonsequitur

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Euro Spec - 2014 Focus ST with EFR7163
I've only used meth injection of my '14 Focus ST with the EFR7163 turbo and the primary reason that I went down that path is because the COBB Accessport allows for on the fly map switching. I have two maps: with and without meth. There is a 50 whp power difference between the two maps. If I didn't have the capability to switch to a non-meth injection map, I wouldn't have installed the meth injection kit. Just the thought of having to carry a couple gallons of meth in the trunk for long road trips put me off. For me, meth injection has to produce more power to justify installing it on my cars.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
Using meth for more power is always up for opinion.

Personally I use it to add alot of power. +3psi and +3 degrees of timing. If you are using it for power the most important thing is a solid install. Make sure everything about the installation is done 100% correctly as that will be the most likely cause of failure. Make sure to go with a good and reputable kit. Meth is not as common on the coyote but the LS crowd uses it for additional power all the time.

I've spoken with a few people who have used it for insane amounts of power and never had a pump fail or nozzle clog. I believe the issue is blown out of proportion for sure. When meth pumps fail they usually leak (from worn seals), but not suddenly stop pumping. Your meth system is a closed system so there should be no chance of a "clog" unless your dropping debris in your meth tank. Go with a system that uses braided lines that screw on instead of push-in nylon lines for a more secure connection. Your regular fuel pump could fail and cause you to lean out too.....

Your failsafe is your knock sensors. If the meth doesnt spray for some reason the knock sensors will pull timing accordingly and save your motor.

Next year I will be building my motor and doing direct port methanol for a perfect distribution to each cylinder and pushing it even further.

OP
OP

Roush05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Using meth for more power is always up for opinion.

Personally I use it to add alot of power. +3psi and +3 degrees of timing. If you are using it for power the most important thing is a solid install. Make sure everything about the installation is done 100% correctly as that will be the most likely cause of failure. Make sure to go with a good and reputable kit. Meth is not as common on the coyote but the LS crowd uses it for additional power all the time.

I've spoken with a few people who have used it for insane amounts of power and never had a pump fail or nozzle clog. I believe the issue is blown out of proportion for sure. When meth pumps fail they usually leak (from worn seals), but not suddenly stop pumping. Your meth system is a closed system so there should be no chance of a "clog" unless your dropping debris in your meth tank. Go with a system that uses braided lines that screw on instead of push-in nylon lines for a more secure connection. Your regular fuel pump could fail and cause you to lean out too.....

Your failsafe is your knock sensors. If the meth doesnt spray for some reason the knock sensors will pull timing accordingly and save your motor.

Next year I will be building my motor and doing direct port methanol for a perfect distribution to each cylinder and pushing it even further.
I have a snow stage 2 kit on the way with the braided lines. I'm going to look at the instructions when it arrives and probably do the mounting myself and have someone else do the wiring. Also installing a boost controller so I have more control. Boost controller probably going in tomorrow, meth kit when I get it.

Are you buying a new motor or sending yours off?

Quick question since you mentioned perfect distribution. There is a budget turbo thread on here that I read recently and the op said that he noticed the stock fuel rails didn't really supply even fuel pressure to the passenger side. Is that a known issue? Just made me wonder if I should get different rails.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
I have a snow stage 2 kit on the way with the braided lines. I'm going to look at the instructions when it arrives and probably do the mounting myself and have someone else do the wiring. Also installing a boost controller so I have more control. Boost controller probably going in tomorrow, meth kit when I get it.

Are you buying a new motor or sending yours off?

Quick question since you mentioned perfect distribution. There is a budget turbo thread on here that I read recently and the op said that he noticed the stock fuel rails didn't really supply even fuel pressure to the passenger side. Is that a known issue? Just made me wonder if I should get different rails.
Nice, braided lines are the way to go and the VC50 controller is nice and easy to use. Unless you have a really trusted installer I would do the wiring yourself so you know its solid.

What boost controller are you using?

Will probably be having my block sleeved and rebuilt early next year. I have heard that once or twice because the feed is on the driver side and it crosses over to the passenger. I'm not sure how much of an issue it really could be though. That bank's O2s would simply up the injectors pulse on that side to compensate if that was the case, however I think if it was a more serious/widespread problem it would be more well known and discussed.

As far as meth distribution, you should mount your nozzle after the intercooler as far from the TB as possible. You can check my build log where I mounted mine and my IAT sensor. Farthest from the TB will allow the most time for the meth to atomize and mix with the air before getting to the intake manifold. Don't use Snow's TB spacer, that will have the worst distribution issues as you'll get more/less meth in the front or rear cylinders (which wont be detected as O2s are bank vs bank). Personally since I'm amping it up I'm going a step further and putting a nozzle in each runner on the new motor, but that's another story.
Sponsored