Sponsored

Water-Methanol Injection

Roush05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
I'm just curious how many of you guys are running water-meth kits and if not, what your reasons are as well as what kind of gains you saw if you do have a meth kit. With all these labor day sales I've been looking at picking one up but I really don't think I need it. Although it seems like it would be nice to have, and I guess depending on the setup you could pick up 50-100 hp? I am trying to avoid swapping my pulley for now as that would void the warranty on the procharger (lol), but I'd like to pick up some more power if I can.

Also, my bypass valve is fluttering when it is releasing boost. I'll look at it tomorrow but I bet either the diaphragm is torn or something has come loose again. No vacuum line holes or manifold leaks this time.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
I've been running meth on my Whipple setup for a year. My results are that I can command max timing while staving off knock. Dyno last year meth vs full can of Boostane on same dyno same day and had same power. Ngauge reported same timing on both runs. Yes I let the car idle 25 minutes once the Boostane was added to make sure it made it to the motor, and car had another 30 minute cool down after.

hawk232

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 white GT premium
Without tuning for the meth there will be little gains, you would be doing it for the the temps and safety net. With tuning you loose the safety net but gain power and still keep low IATs

erikkire18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 Hellion TT
Got a meth kit for my TT since I have 91 octane (shitty fuel) here and was getting false knock. not tuned for it but have it to increase the octane and I worked really well, also took the knock away. I am getting dynoed next week, 1 without meth and 1 with a tune with meth, I can post the results and see what difference I get. Might have 1 tune with meth and 1 without meth (primary tune). but overall the car runs better and temps are cooler

ProChargerTECH

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang(s)
Without tuning for the meth there will be little gains, you would be doing it for the the temps and safety net. With tuning you loose the safety net but gain power and still keep low IATs
On cars other then these coyotes I would agree with you that gains can be small (30hp or less)

However, on a properly tuned coyote, you can pick up HUGE gains by just activating a meth kit.
I have had customers that I tune pick up 75+ with no change in tune.

Just depends on how you set the car up prior to the meth.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Roush05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
On cars other then these coyotes I would agree with you that gains can be small (30hp or less)

However, on a properly tuned coyote, you can pick up HUGE gains by just activating a meth kit.
I have had customers that I tune pick up 75+ with no change in tune.

Just depends on how you set the car up prior to the meth.
With the setup in my sig, do you think it is worth it to go with meth now or is there something else you'd recommend?

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
Got a meth kit for my TT since I have 91 octane (shitty fuel) here and was getting false knock. not tuned for it but have it to increase the octane and I worked really well, also took the knock away. I am getting dynoed next week, 1 without meth and 1 with a tune with meth, I can post the results and see what difference I get. Might have 1 tune with meth and 1 without meth (primary tune). but overall the car runs better and temps are cooler
Id be interested in seeing dyno runs before/after meth with no tune charges for sure.

ProChargerTECH

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang(s)
With the setup in my sig, do you think it is worth it to go with meth now or is there something else you'd recommend?
That would be a question to ask your tuner.

Some tuners won't touch meth cars, and others set them up soft.
Just depends on what they are comfortable with.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
I'm a huge fan of meth injection. On 93 I went from running 15-18* timing at 12psi, to 21* timing at 15psi on meth. Each degree/psi is worth around 20whp, so that's a 120+whp gain, estimated of course.

Timing would fluctuate before based on the quality of the 93 before, now it stays consistent. IATs are lowered, EGTs are lowered, intake, valves, and cylinders are nice and clean too. It's a win/win in every area.

Lund tuned it for me after I insisted. They wanted me to go E85 instead but that wasn't available to me. If you're tuning on it for extra power I would go with a high quality system like Alky Control that uses braided stainless lines rather than nylon push-lock. If not tuning for it it will still help you reach your max timing independent of gas quality, and lower temps. Since you wont be relying on it a cheaper system would probably be fine in that case.

ProChargerTECH

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang(s)
You can get snow kits now with braided lines.

Though I have never had a single line failure on any of the nylon kits I have installed in 15+ years.
(but I know lots that do... from pinching them, running them to close to warm things, etc)

Sponsored

Draklia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
That would be a question to ask your tuner.

Some tuners won't touch meth cars, and others set them up soft.
Just depends on what they are comfortable with.
Sorry if I’m paraphrasing, I don’t get it, first you said these coyotes respond to meth kits without messing with the tune. Then a guy asks about his car and you said he should talk to his tuner for the meth addition. Then the next guy talks about having his tune customized for the meth kit. It’s like the second someone talks or suggests adding meth without changing the tune the rest of the posts are about changing to tune for the meth. Which is it, have tuner change tune for meth of install meth and don’t change the tune? Sorry not directed at you, just saw your initial post saying one thing and then your reply said the opposite. I’m sure I’m simplifying the way I read it, but wonder if you could expand on this.
Thanks

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
Sorry if I’m paraphrasing, I don’t get it, first you said these coyotes respond to meth kits without messing with the tune. Then a guy asks about his car and you said he should talk to his tuner for the meth addition. Then the next guy talks about having his tune customized for the meth kit. It’s like the second someone talks or suggests adding meth without changing the tune the rest of the posts are about changing to tune for the meth. Which is it, have tuner change tune for meth of install meth and don’t change the tune? Sorry not directed at you, just saw your initial post saying one thing and then your reply said the opposite. I’m sure I’m simplifying the way I read it, but wonder if you could expand on this.
Thanks
It can be done either way. Not changing the tune will still give benefits, but changing the tune for meth will always give a bigger increase in power. Some tuners like meth, some dont, etc.

However at a certain point you will be relying on the meth, so if it's not there because of some failure, it could cause problems. This scares many people away from altering the tune for it. However with a quality system and proper install, the systems are pretty reliable as PCTech said even with the nylon lines.

erikkire18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 Hellion TT
well, disappointment is all i can say from my dyno pulls yesterday. 600 whp is all i got from 91 and meth injection (snow kit, braided line). pulls made in 5th gear. Looks like I have to go E85 now to get more boost, currently have 8.5 due to lack of good fuel

OP
OP

Roush05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Was that with or without a tune change for the meth?
Sponsored