Sponsored

MEM_ERR03 When trying to update......

Kakemone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
So I was able to try this method and I can confirm that it works. Both on F-150 ‘16 with 2.3 non nav sync installed prior and a mustang gt ‘16 with 2.2 non nav sync. On both vehicles I was able to update sync to version 3.0 following the instructions from bubbadini after initially having the memory error problem. The only thing that I changed is that I used 2 usb sticks instead of just one - saving some time since I needed to do it on both vehicles.
Used a 8gb exfat for the first update and a 32gb exfat for the second real update. However I believe that any usb will work since I used originally few months ago the 8gb one to install the 2.3 version comming from 1.0

Big thanks to spark and bubbadini for the detailed instructions. I also used the nav voice file from the 3.0 version since it’s easier to be found lol
Sponsored

Last edited:

Kakemone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
This is my hell too.
Would LOVE to know wtf Ford included wifi in the sync 3 if it CANT use it!
I spend a week at a time at work, and the work computers are locked down ( no usb for you!), but will try this when I get home.

Friggin stupid, it really is. Ford needs to step up their game.

PS: Has anyone called the number on the error message to see what Ford says about it?

EDIT 2: Is this ONLY an issue for those of us that did the 2.2 upgrade first? If I did not up date it it to 2.2, I wouldn’t have this issue?
If you are updating from 1.0 version then you don’t have to do it - just download the 3.0 update and install directly. If you are trying to update from 2.2 or 2.3 non nav to 3.0 then follow the instructions and you will be able to complete the update.

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Here is a link to a pre-packaged fix (intermediate step) for those experiencing MEM_ERR03 on a non-nav unit. All credit to acool @ F150Forum for figuring this out in the first place.

http://media.4rev4.com/wp-content/uploads/Sync3-MEM_ERR03-Fix.zip

Anyone who shares this link, please also include this warning in italics:

Attention Ford employees and/or lawyers: I am well aware that the link contains some copyrighted Ford software. However, the link doesn't contain a complete software package and only contains a Sync 3 v3.0 Nav voice file, which actually renders a Sync 3 v3.0 Non-Nav APIM less functional when used alone. Additionally, it only contains data which is freely downloadable from owner.ford.com by anyone in possession of a valid Ford VIN number. This is actually a modified intermediary installation package to free up space on the APIM, which is necessary because your installation process is quite frankly broken in an embarrassing way. It wouldn't be a good look to issue me a DMCA takedown request. If you do that, you're sending the message that you do not want your paying customers to be able to keep their software up to date, and I will roast the shit out of you on social media if you decide to go down that route.

That out of the way, here are some of my additional notes on dealing with this process:

• acool (on the F150 Forum) mentioned that he saw better speeds with FAT32 than exFAT, and I found this to be the case as well. I was able to do the complete update in maybe fifteen minutes after this intermediary step using an 8GB drive.
  • I didn't do any of the extra steps like: master reset, turn off bluetooth, turn off WiFi, etc.
  • When later updating with the full package, it does it in two steps with a restart in between. When doing this restart, turn off power to the car, open and close the door, and wait about two minutes. Then turn the power back on to the car again. DON'T UNPLUG THE USB UNTIL IT SPECIFICALLY SAYS TO.

[MENTION=27148]Bubbadini[/MENTION] feel free to update your instructions with my link and notes if you like, I just ask if you provide that link that you also provide my warning in italics.

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
D. When I checked software version the other day on my version 2.2, my Grace Notes version number was missing. I know I had it after version 2.2 update because I posted completed screen shot in the discussions. I do not know when it went away. After this update, Grace Notes version number is back.
I kept this in mind when I was doing my update, and I noticed that after step one of the 3.0 update (where it asked for a reboot, not to disconnect the USB) that my Gracenotes version number was also missing.

Once the second step of the 3.0 update was complete (where it tells you to disconnect your USB) my Gracenotes version was back again.

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 6 speed blackout /3.55
I wonder if Ford can just do the upgrade with their vulcan mindfuck machine in one step?

Sponsored

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just want to point something out to anyone that may be trying this:

"14G391" is the key part of the file name here. Ignore the other two bits.

I actually used the file from the 3.0 nav update, and the filename in there was JR3T-14G391-CD.tar.gz.

Obviously you adjust the autoinstall.lst as necessary to match the file name that you have.
Are you saying don’t bother with the fragment of 2.2, just use this fragment of 3.0 (same?) first for the double clutch process?

zuki_dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT Premium M6 TY
The steps on the first page worked for me. I used the file from the V2.2 NAV Modified for the memory error and then updated to v3.0 18025. I tried multiple times before going strait from 2.3 to 3.0 and all failed in about 5 minutes for the memory error. I tried 2 USB drives, 1 PNY 32 gig USB 2.0 and the Samsung 64 gig USB 3.0.

Version 3.0 first part took about 12 minutes before the reboot, 3 minutes before the second updating software message then took another 3 minutes to finish the whole update.

I used a 64gig Samsung USB 3.0 thumb drive.

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Are you saying don’t bother with the fragment of 2.2, just use this fragment of 3.0 (same?) first for the double clutch process?
I used 3.0 and it worked but had a different file name as I described.

In my above post is a link to a pre-packaged version of what you should load on a USB drive for that step.

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here is a link to a pre-packaged fix (intermediate step) for those experiencing MEM_ERR03 on a non-nav unit. All credit to acool @ F150Forum for figuring this out in the first place.

http://media.4rev4.com/wp-content/uploads/Sync3-MEM_ERR03-Fix.zip

Anyone who shares this link, please also include this warning in italics:

Attention Ford employees and/or lawyers: I am well aware that the link contains some copyrighted Ford software. However, the link doesn't contain a complete software package and only contains a Sync 3 v3.0 Nav voice file, which actually renders a Sync 3 v3.0 Non-Nav APIM less functional when used alone. Additionally, it only contains data which is freely downloadable from owner.ford.com by anyone in possession of a valid Ford VIN number. This is actually a modified intermediary installation package to free up space on the APIM, which is necessary because your installation process is quite frankly broken in an embarrassing way. It wouldn't be a good look to issue me a DMCA takedown request. If you do that, you're sending the message that you do not want your paying customers to be able to keep their software up to date, and I will roast the shit out of you on social media if you decide to go down that route.

That out of the way, here are some of my additional notes on dealing with this process:

• acool (on the F150 Forum) mentioned that he saw better speeds with FAT32 than exFAT, and I found this to be the case as well. I was able to do the complete update in maybe fifteen minutes after this intermediary step using an 8GB drive.
  • I didn't do any of the extra steps like: master reset, turn off bluetooth, turn off WiFi, etc.
  • When later updating with the full package, it does it in two steps with a restart in between. When doing this restart, turn off power to the car, open and close the door, and wait about two minutes. Then turn the power back on to the car again. DON'T UNPLUG THE USB UNTIL IT SPECIFICALLY SAYS TO.

[MENTION=27148]Bubbadini[/MENTION] feel free to update your instructions with my link and notes if you like, I just ask if you provide that link that you also provide my warning in italics.
So cliffnotes, download the media in the quoted link unzipped in usb 1, update car, shut car off, then update with published ford version 3.0 on a second usb drive.

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
So cliffnotes, download the media in the quoted link unzipped in usb 1, update car, shut car off, then update with published ford version 3.0 on a second usb drive.
Yup. Also, I suggest using FAT32 and not exFAT. No need for a 32gb drive either, 8gb worked great.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Rod Schneider

Rod Schneider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rod
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost
Thanks for the info!! I was able to update by using the method described above. Too bad Ford can't figure this stuff out for themselves..........

ahornsfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Eco Boost Premium
Thanks for the info!! I was able to update by using the method described above. Too bad Ford can't figure this stuff out for themselves..........
It's pretty amazing.

The worst part is they are definitely convincing some people to get new APIM which cost $700+ to "fix" a simple software issues. That's the part that upsets me.

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
It's pretty amazing.

The worst part is they are definitely convincing some people to get new APIM which cost $700+ to "fix" a simple software issues. That's the part that upsets me.
Who and where did you source that information from? Issues such as that should be reported to Ford Customer Service immediately.

ahornsfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Eco Boost Premium
Who and where did you source that information from? Issues such as that should be reported to Ford Customer Service immediately.
I experienced it at the dealer I went to here in Austin. I told him my issues and he said the only fix would be to get a new APIM. That is when I really started researching and luckily found this site :-)